Big difference between Rangeman negative displays or negligible?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Big difference between Rangeman negative displays or negligible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Big difference between Rangeman negative displays or negligible?

Pictures of the GW9400-3 and GW-9400BJ-1JF would indicate that the negative display of the latter is vastly superior. What is the reality?
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

Re: Big difference between Rangeman negative displays or negligible?

Pictures lie. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to tell how good a negative display is from a photo, as you don't know how the lighting might have affected the results.

I have owned both of those Rangers - but have neither one now. The neg display of the "Black Panther" might be slightly better, but I'm pretty sure "vastly superior" is nowhere near true. In fact, the reason I sold both of those Rangers was that I almost never wore them compared to their positive display brethren. The neg display was the reason.

IMO, neither one has a really great neg display. (like the one on the GD-350-1B for ex) The Black Panther Ranger has an awesome look, with the glossy black resin and neg display - but as usual, if practicality is the most important thing, a positive display will win 7 days/week.

If the AL motion sensor worked better I wouldn't care but it's not very responsive. I like the black resin, red accents, and the buttons of the basic GW9400-1 model but the negative display that I swapped from a GW9400-3 is cutting the honeymoon short. At first I thought it was "the business" but after wearing it several periods for several days in a row, I'm thinking about selling the one I modded and replacing it with an unmodded GW9400-3. I don't understand why Casio doesn't use the same tech from the GD-350 across all their negative displays.
    Last edited by m1ckDELTA; October 7th, 2017 at 05:04.
    A man wearing a watch, outside of purely social functions (where, strictly speaking, a watch is not supposed to be worn), makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers his time something of value, not something to be wasted.

A man wearing an ostentatiously expensive watch makes it clear to everyone in his purview that they are in the presence of a man who considers little.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I suspect that some of the improvement with the GD-350 negative display is due to the larger digits/characters and thicker fonts. This allows the display to look brighter, with more contrast. The Rangeman, by comparison, has relatively small digits/characters and thinner fonts.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckDELTA View Post
    If the AL motion sensor worked better I wouldn't care but it's not very responsive. I like the black resin, red accents, and the buttons of the basic GW9400-1 model but the negative display that I swapped from a GW9400-3 is cutting the honeymoon short. At first I thought it was "the business" but after wearing it several periods for several days in a row, I'm thinking about selling the one I modded and replacing it with an unmodded GW9400-3. I don't understand why Casio doesn't use the same tech from the GD-350 across all their negative displays.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that you'd like the auto light function to work better since I find it to work quite well on all my models that support it. I sometimes even find that it turns on a little too easily when moving my wrist around. In my opinion negative displays are a pain in the butt compared to positives regardless of how good the auto light is.
    m1ckDELTA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    I suspect that some of the improvement with the GD-350 negative display is due to the larger digits/characters and thicker fonts. This allows the display to look brighter, with more contrast. The Rangeman, by comparison, has relatively small digits/characters and thinner fonts.
    Another possible reason is Rangeman is solar and 350 is not. This seems to hurt solar/negative displays across the whole spectrum of G-Shocks. The solar panel might have some effect on the negative displays
    GaryK30, m1ckDELTA and CanonMan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Piston Honda View Post
    I'm surprised to hear you say that you'd like the auto light function to work better since I find it to work quite well on all my models that support it. I sometimes even find that it turns on a little too easily when moving my wrist around. In my opinion negative displays are a pain in the butt compared to positives regardless of how good the auto light is.
    On my other G-Shocks it works really well but for some reason the Rangeman requires some very specific movement, then it takes a moment. Most times. Then, others, not so much. It's a bit inconsistent like that.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Another possible reason is Rangeman is solar and 350 is not. This seems to hurt solar/negative displays across the whole spectrum of G-Shocks. The solar panel might have some effect on the negative displays
    Hmmm, you might be onto something. The solar panel is only the upper right portion of the display, though, yes?

Hmmm, you might be onto something. The solar panel is only the upper right portion of the display, though, yes?
    The solar panel goes around the whole display.
    Desert likes this.

Not on the display. It's the panel around the display.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information