Big mistake

Thread: Big mistake

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    79x

Big mistake

Hi All,

Replaced the battery in my dw6900 without greasing the O ring. I then water tested it and condensation built up after I wore it outdoors. After I opened it back up and cleared the condensation some of the parts of the LCD readout are now very faint. I left it in a dry place for 24hrs, no change.

Does this mean the module is shot?!

Re: Big mistake

Not necessarily.
    Zake out the battery, take the module out and let the thing dry for a couple days - maybe under a lamp to heat it up. a totally droned 6900 module is right now sitting in my drawer ticking happily after 3 days under my desktop lamp.

2 days in a ziploc baggie of dry white rice has worked successfully for my cell and even an ipod (with the battery in place) in the past. Haven't tried it for a watch yet, but I'd for sure remove the battery and then dry.
    2013: Android AD576BK Divemaster Espionage 2 | Vostok Amphibian 710059 | Vostok Amphibian 710634 | Vostok Amphibian 710526 | Momentum Base Layer (sapphire)
    2014: Maranez Layan | Vostok Amphibian 09013M | Casio MDV106-1A

2015: Vostok Amphibian 100657 | Vostok Amphibian 420914

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Now you've learned it the hard way, that lubing the gasket is imperative, use silicone grease for this the next time. It not only keeps the gasket ductile and water away, but - probably most important - it keeps the gaket in its groove during the reassembling.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I have also changed some batteries recently without doing this step. Where do I get this silicone grease. Someone suggested that I could use Vasoline. Is this true? One watch I changed the battery on was a screwback and the gasket was located on the screwback cover and seemed really hard to get off. I didn't want to mess with it.

I have never understood why do you have to grease the gasket every time? If theres some old grease in the gasket i leave it be, never had any problems. I sure understand the greasing if you are installing a new gasket..

<>
    Last edited by rogerlike; May 15th, 2011 at 01:56.

79x

Good News! Just returned to the module and its working fine. Added some grease to the gasket and water tested it; works fine.

Thanks for your input.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

dantana,

you should be able to buy silicon grease in any brick and mortar store and probably any watch store that is around in your area. Alos lot of it online via ebay or amazon for instance. The gasket is made of rubber and without proper treatment, it will eventually dry out and become brittle. I've never tried it with vasoline but it should do the trick as well.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Auto parts stores sell it in little tubes, it's called Dielectric grease, Sil-glide, ect. It is just silicone grease, but don't put in O rings without it. Casio may seal their watches up bone dry, but I won't. It's a little different too when Casio grabs a brand new fresh soft O ring and puts it in a new watch and seals it up. If you open the back on say a 3+ year old watch to replace the battery, the O ring isn't going to be as soft as new, and a little silicon grease will make up for that. If the O ring is brittle or has flattened with age, then toss it and get a new one. I buy almost exclusively used G's and I have a habit of opening them all up just to grease the O ring and check so it isn't cracked or put in wrong since I swim with all my G's. If the G is quite old, like say 10 years or older, or looks heavily used, I check the two O rings on each button. Had to replace one of them on a DW-002 I was restoring as one had lost it's shape with age. I believe you have to scavenge them from dead G's however. So far I have only encountered one size of them though, so that's good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information