Birth Year watch - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Birth Year watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Birth Year watch

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    You have two models to choose from, original DW-5000c and gold version DW-5000c-1B.

DW-5000c is not that hard to find, it all depends on how much are you willing to spend on it, usually they go for $400+, if you are really lucky you will find them a bit lower (ebay)

Not sure about gold version, haven't seen one for sale in ages.
    I am sure it will not be easy, but I am up for a challenge. One day I will have my grail, maybe one of my relatives still have one, hey you never know!

Cheapest way is to buy a used DW-5000C and restore it using aftermarket resin.

If you want real Casio resin (and something produced recently --i.e., several years ago, back before they were discontinued) then you can buy a NOS band and bezel from yahoo japan auctions or some other source. They can be hard to find, and expensive when you do, but it is well worth it to have real Casio resin. I am not talking about resin produced in '83--that will be brittle. I am talking about recently produced (several years ago) DW-5600C resin that will fit this watch. The DW-5000C deserves to have real Casio resin, IMO.

You can find a deal if you are willing to check auctions daily for months or years on end. If you want something pristine and top quality, you will probably need to pay more than $500.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Cheapest way is to buy a used DW-5000C and restore it using aftermarket resin.

If you want real Casio resin (and something produced recently --i.e., several years ago, back before they were discontinued) then you can buy a NOS band and bezel from yahoo japan auctions or some other source. They can be hard to find, and expensive when you do, but it is well worth it to have real Casio resin. I am not talking about resin produced in '83--that will be brittle. I am talking about recently produced (several years ago) DW-5600C resin that will fit this watch. The DW-5000C deserves to have real Casio resin, IMO.

You can find a deal if you are willing to check auctions daily for months or years on end. If you want something pristine and top quality, you will probably need to pay more than $500.
    I completely agree with you but even those (unrestored) can be quite difficult to find. However, while browsing eBay I did find a seller with a DW-5000C but I am not too sure about it. Casio DW 5000C First G Shock Mod 240 Alarm Chrono RARE 1980's Vintage Watch | eBay does this look legit to you all? I am sure it is an aftermarket resin but the price (so far) is not that bad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ant29 View Post
    I completely agree with you but even those (unrestored) can be quite difficult to find. However, while browsing eBay I did find a seller with a DW-5000C but I am not too sure about it. Casio DW 5000C First G Shock Mod 240 Alarm Chrono RARE 1980's Vintage Watch | eBay does this look legit to you all? I am sure it is an aftermarket resin but the price (so far) is not that bad.
    It is aftermarket resin, has bleeding LCD digits, has "deep scratches" in the crystal (according to the seller), and chips on the edge of the crystal. It is a real DW-5000C, but you get what you pay for. I don't know where the bidding will go, but I imagine it will go a fair bit higher than it already is. Maybe $350-$450

Actually why not settle for a DW-5030? It marks the 30th anniversary, is a classic square with a screw-down caseback. I think it's a pretty good symbol for the 30th anniversary collection and it's not hard to find at all.
    My Current Beater:
    Casio G-Shock: GW-2310FB-1CR

-=[My Pelican 1495; Home for my Gs]=-

Quote Originally Posted by Cognac0113 View Post
    Actually why not settle for a DW-5030? It marks the 30th anniversary, is a classic square with a screw-down caseback. I think it's a pretty good symbol for the 30th anniversary collection and it's not hard to find at all.
    That is the most practical choice. But I think (OP can correct me if I am misunderstanding) that he wants something that is as old as him, and can age with him, so that it will always be the same age as him. I wanted a watch like this, too. But unfortunately, I was born in 1980 (three years before G-shock) and the digital watches available then have not aged well (i.e. they look very dated).

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    That is the most practical choice. But I think (OP can correct me if I am misunderstanding) that he wants something that is as old as him, and can age with him, so that it will always be the same age as him. I wanted a watch like this, too. But unfortunately, I was born in 1980 (three years before G-shock) and the digital watches available then have not aged well (i.e. they look very dated).
    You are correct, I would love to have a G as old as me. I am sure it will take some time to find one worth the money, but in the end it will be well worth it. I do have a 30th on my Amazon wish list, but it's not the same as an '83 G. So far I have seen a bunch of possibilities, but I keep finding serious issues with them. I can deal with some issues, but not for the price points that the sellers have set for them.

The downside of getting a 30th anniversary watch is that you will be reminded of the fact that you're over thirty every time you look at your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by computer_freak View Post
    The downside of getting a 30th anniversary watch is that you will be reminded of the fact that you're over thirty every time you look at your watch.
    True enough, but its not so bad, never really put much thought into my age. One day at a time, One day at a time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information