Birth Year watch
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Birth Year watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Birth Year watch

So for quite some time now I have been wanting a Birth Year Watch. After scouring the internet for something that would fit me I have decided on G-Shock. Why, you might ask? Well because G-shocks and me share the same Birth Year! Now I know it is going to be a pain to find a nice 83' G, but I have decided to make this my mission. I would prefer all original, but I am sure this is going to be near impossible to find. If anyone could provide me with a place I can look (besides eBay) I would be much appreciative. Also, if someone here were possibly willing to part with their 83' original I would definitely consider purchasing it. Thank you for all your help in advance and look forward to see what the community can come up with!

Re: Birth Year watch

You have two models to choose from, original DW-5000c and gold version DW-5000c-1B.

DW-5000c is not that hard to find, it all depends on how much are you willing to spend on it, usually they go for $400+, if you are really lucky you will find them a bit lower (ebay)

Not sure about gold version, haven't seen one for sale in ages.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I thought 5100 was 1984 release, I need to update my knowledge

In my opinion you have set yourself a very difficult goal.

G-Shocks from that era have almost all lost their bezels to resin rot, i.e. you bend the black surround of the face and it disintegrates. Whatever you find from that year will usually be non-original or in daily unwearable condition. Those that remain will be VERY well cared for collectibles, or restored with aftermarket bezels which were not made by Casio.

If you like the pain of a potentially impossible search, go for it! Otherwise, I would suggest a metal-cased watch from the same year. Metal may become scratched, but it will not fall apart due to the passing of time.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

I have 3 Seiko's from my birth month and year as it's easy to tell month and year of production by the Serial #.
    I was born Feb '69 so I searched for 92XXXX serial numbers. (I had an advantage when searching as around 1968-70 watch mfr's quit using "waterproof" and went to "water resistant". If it said proof and was a 92xxxx it was a Feb 1969)
    You can hunt for Casio's, but as noted above you'll have trouble, not impossible, but challenging.
    My next goal will be a '69 Speedmaster :)
    Cheers,
    Chris
    gripmaster, OCDood, Rocat and 1 others like this.
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Aragon - 2 bigass divers
    Artego - Caribbean + 300M
    Casio - (too many G's)
    CREPAS - Loggerhead
    Dagaz - Zero I
    Omega - 2254.50 SMP, PW conversion
    Seiko - 1G mod Monster, mod 6309
    Vanguard - Special (classic)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Here's one of my birth year watches, a Mockba 1957 Moscow World Festival of Youth and Students Commemorative made in the 2nd quarter of 1957. I made the scene in the 1st quarter.

The World Festival of Youth and Students is an international event, organized by the World Federation of Democratic Youth (WFDY), a left-wing youth organization, jointly with the International Union of Students since 1947.

The largest festival was the 6th, held in 1957 in Moscow, when 34,000 young people from 131 countries attended the event. This festival also marked the international debut of the song "Moscow Nights", which subsequently went on to become perhaps the most widely recognized Russian song in the world.

Good luck in your goal of finding yours.
    Crater and nigelw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine View Post
    In my opinion you have set yourself a very difficult goal.

G-Shocks from that era have almost all lost their bezels to resin rot, i.e. you bend the black surround of the face and it disintegrates. Whatever you find from that year will usually be non-original or in daily unwearable condition. Those that remain will be VERY well cared for collectibles, or restored with aftermarket bezels which were not made by Casio.

If you like the pain of a potentially impossible search, go for it! Otherwise, I would suggest a metal-cased watch from the same year. Metal may become scratched, but it will not fall apart due to the passing of time.
    I'm sure I am going to have a hell of a time finding an all original 83' G, but I won't give up. If I have to settle I will, but I am hoping that one day I will find my birthday grail. If I have to settle for one with an aftermarket bezel I will. But if I do find one and I can confirm it's authenticity, I would not mind parting with max $500 or so for it. Though I hope I won't have to pay that much.

Quote Originally Posted by onrypt View Post
    I have 3 Seiko's from my birth month and year as it's easy to tell month and year of production by the Serial #.
    I was born Feb '69 so I searched for 92XXXX serial numbers. (I had an advantage when searching as around 1968-70 watch mfr's quit using "waterproof" and went to "water resistant". If it said proof and was a 92xxxx it was a Feb 1969)
    You can hunt for Casio's, but as noted above you'll have trouble, not impossible, but challenging.
    My next goal will be a '69 Speedmaster :)
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Very nice finds indeed, Good luck with you '69 Speedmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    Here's one of my birth year watches, a Mockba 1957 Moscow World Festival of Youth and Students Commemorative made in the 2nd quarter of 1957. I made the scene in the 1st quarter.

The World Festival of Youth and Students is an international event, organized by the World Federation of Democratic Youth (WFDY), a left-wing youth organization, jointly with the International Union of Students since 1947.

The largest festival was the 6th, held in 1957 in Moscow, when 34,000 young people from 131 countries attended the event. This festival also marked the international debut of the song "Moscow Nights", which subsequently went on to become perhaps the most widely recognized Russian song in the world.

Good luck in your goal of finding yours.
    Thanks! Very nice watch, it looks very nice considering it's age, wear them in good health!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information