A bit of Frogman mystery.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mitch100
  • 2 Post By TZA

Thread: A bit of Frogman mystery.

A bit of Frogman mystery.

Here is a watch I picked up a few months ago. I got it from Japan and it came with a G-9100 Gulfman. I picked them up for £130 including all costs to get them to my door.

Here are the sellers pictures.

The Frogman is the DW-8200Z-1T ‘Man in Black’. The watch has had a brand new bezel fitted from the ‘Real Black’ Frogman. I am happy with this as I think the stealth look suits the watch.

When it came I was disappointed to see that the crystal was near wrecked with numerous scratches and scuffs, a number of them deep enough to catch a fingernail. The scratches were actually obscuring the lcd. It is no surprise that it has a new bezel, if the crystal had picked up so much damage what must the bezel have looked like!

So it was out with the dremel and diamond paste. After much polishing I have removed the worst of it but it is not yet completely clear and I might have another go, though it is now not that bad at all.

Here is the Gulfman it came with.

So what is the mystery here? Well the serial number confirms that it is the DW-8200Z-1T.

However, look at the colour of “FROGMAN” on the dial insert it is a sort of bluish grey and it should be red on a Z-1T. Further no 8200 Frog was ever issued with this colour of ‘Frogman’ on the insert.

There is no way anyone has retouched this, the printing is just too perfect.

So has anyone any idea how this has come about? I can only think that the original red colour has changed to this over time under the influence of UV light. It is remarkably even and consistent for this sort of effect though. I can’t think of anything else offhand though. The dial insert can’t have been changed it has the perfect glossy black ’eye’ and there is no other insert that looks like this anyway.

Mitch
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: A bit of Frogman mystery.

It's not solar, so I can't imagine someone putting this in a window sill and forgetting about it, to become frequently baked by the sun. The fact that it came with a replacement bezel that is from a different model identifies that some previous owner had some prowess to obtain and replace watch parts. Who was the seller? There are some sellers on Yahoo Japan who modify watches and at times misrepresents them. One particular seller I've run into uses a faux-wood plastic standing mannequin hand to display the watch in photos. I'd bought 2 G-Shocks from him and will never do so again.

I've never seen red labeling fade to blue on a G-Shock, only become a fainter red. It's not a bright blue, so it's possible. I wonder if the inner dial might have been replaced for some reason.
    Last edited by xevious; October 21st, 2017 at 17:55.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post

I've never seen red labeling fade to blue on a G-Shock, only become a fainter red. It's not a bright blue, so it's possible. I wonder if the inner dial might have been replaced for some reason.
    The dial insert can't have been replaced as there is no other that looks like this. This is absolutely correct for a DW-8200Z-1T apart from the lettering colour. Perhaps Casio did issue a few in this colour but I doubt it. I keep coming back to fading due to UV, has anyone else seen this sort of fading?

Mitch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

OK, then you've already answered your question. It must be some kind of fading. No other explanation. Doubtful CASIO made two versions of this, one in red and one in blue.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I believe the crystal on this one belonged to a DW-8200BK model:

Name:  IMG_1767.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  34.2 KB

The bluish tint to the white text can be caused by heat exposure either from welding (perhaps some of that damage to the crystal is from welding pits?) or perhaps it was caused by your Dremel round..?
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Looks like UV fade. This is purely speculation, but given the damage the watch has received, it's entirely plausible that it was forgotten on a window sill (or outside). Luckily it fell in your hands to be treated properly.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

The 8200AC and 8200LG have a blue "frogman". But those look more bright blue. I could see one of those fading to match what you have. More so than red fading to that. The 8201GF also has a blue "frogman". I don't know enough about the 8200 or 8201 to know if a crystal swap could explain it.
    Last edited by Fergfour; October 22nd, 2017 at 01:43.

TZA

Is there a backlight image? my 8200Z has a frogman diving, head to 4 o'clock. sorry to hear about the crystal, however very interesting...

Name:  frogman1.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  314.3 KB
    Fergfour and Certified G like this.
    dw5025d : gw5000 : gw5000b : gw9110 : gd100ns : gwa1030a : gw9300gy : gw9330a : gwf1000rd : dw8200z : gw9400kj : gw9430ej : gw5035a : gmwb5000tfg
    : 16610lv : skx007j

Thread Information