Bizarro Tales of The Atomic Sync

Thread: Bizarro Tales of The Atomic Sync

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bizarro Tales of The Atomic Sync

I know you're supposed to sync your atomic G-shock at night, but I wanted to see how hard it would be to sync my Riseman during the afternoon.

I tried by the window. Nope. I walking outside around the house. Uh uh. I found an elevated field, far from buildings and obstructions. Not happening.

I starting snooping around the neighborhood, looking for that elusive L3 signal. Incredibly, I found one about 50 feet west from my front door. Between two houses. Between two study trees. I had a seat on the curb. My neighbor asked me if I was locked out of the house. I tried to explain what I was doing but I just received that "I believe that you believe you are not insane" look.

I pressed on. Yes! Victory!

And confusion.

Why would I be able to sync in possibly the most obstructed place on my street? And nowhere else?

Ideas?
    Current rotation:Casio PRG-110Y (Blackout) , G-Shock G-7800B-1(Carramba)

Re: Bizarro Tales of The Atomic Sync

To be honest - I have no idea why. My Riseman synced perfectly on the afternoon two days ago in our kitchen - maybe six feet away from the window. I also synced it manually last night while working - and I kept it on my arm while sitting right in front of the computer monitor - no problem at all - just tried to keep my hand still for a moment (automatic-sync failed because I had the CDT-timer running during the time it normally syncs). So it's probably just the strength of the signal that counts - not the receiving-capabilities of the Riseman. But maybe someone more of an electronics-expert than me can answer this question.

Greetings, Sedi

I use wear it at night and it calibrates the time at night by itself.

It's kinds cool that I just have to wear it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When the UK transmitter was in Rugby, I had to be very specific about where I left a watch overnight to have even a sporting chance of getting a sync.

Since it moved to Anthorn, I find my GW-M5600 syncs ever night, whether on my wrist or not, and my GW-9000 syncs something like three nights out of four. A huge improvement.

dunno about the specs/height about the two houses. but it is possible for an EM signal to multipath, which is- being reflected from building surfaces. just the same way GPS gets confused in city centre streets because it's getting different timing signals from different directions with different time delays.

in your case the houses probably acted like reflectors of an antenna and focused the overhead signal towards your sitting point. the same way a tv antenna works.

at night, the ground temperature goes down, making air more dense than upper air. when a signal is coming from the horizon, its naturally going up. but at night, to go up, it has to go from dense to lighter air. and if it hits the boundary of dense-lighter air at more than the critical angle, it experiences total internal reflection and bounces back down to earth. just like the way prism reflectors work in telescopes and binoculars.

but whatever is, its good for you

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

Yeah, I know what you mean.

My watch seems to calibrate all different times everynight.

I am still amazed about the process of calibrating the time.

I hear what you're saying, folks...

My GW700 seems to sync best on clear nights...I lay it on my south-facing front window sill and about 50% of the time it syncs overnight [we've had unusually cloudy weather the last month]. Given that I live about 1000 mi. north of Ft. Collins, this seems like pretty good performance...I don't _need_ the watch to sync every night without fail, after all.

I just got a new MTG910 and when I took it out of the shipping box I was surprised to see that it indicated having synced that day at 5AM...in the box, in the post office storeroom.... When I went to compare it with my GW700, I was surprised to see that the GW had also synced, while sitting wrong-way round on the dresser in my bedroom well away from the south side window...

Obviously I'm not going to complain about the situation, but clearly the recommendations in the Atomic Sync watch manuals are not the only, or the final, answer on the subject.
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    Stauer Day/Date/Month Auto
    Glycine Incursore 100M Auto
    O&W Ocean Master Vintage handwinder
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Hamilton Khaki Officer 44mm Unitas w/custom hands and lume
    Volmax Aviator 45mm handwinder
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand
    A +40mm Seiko Alpinist, if Seiko ever decides to make one...

My wrist size - 8"/20.3cm

Don't worry about what the neighbours think! I dread to think what mine think of me

My watch seems to sync fine facing the 'wrong' way (ie. on the side of my house that faces away from the Rugby transmitter, and only gets an L1 signal).

I wouldn't sweat it.

Just wear it every night, or put it on the dresser everynight.

Even it if calibrates one night a week. It's still perfect time.

My Mudman is on the desk next to the window and *MUST* be placed face up with the top of the dial facing the window for it to work consistently. If the curtain blows in (the window is usually open) and knocks the watch on its side, it's hit or miss. In fact, last night it did not sync and I noticed it was on its side today.

I have also tried manually syncing in a parking lot with no obstructions and got an L3...L2...L3..., mostly L3, for a few minutes before getting an error. My Citizen Skyhawk A-T shows high signal strength and syncs all the time. If it's getting between L2 and L3, the sync really ought to work in my opinion.

So the atomic sync of the new Mudman is a bit of a disappointment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information