Blue Mudman how-to?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Blue Mudman how-to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blue Mudman how-to?

Hi all, I recently have been bitten by the G-Shock bug, but with 6.5" wrists I am being picky about what to buy. I picked up a Giez GS1100 which is very cool, but have it up for trade as I am kinda wanting something digital. Now, yesterday I came across what I think is the coolest G-Shock in the size range that I am looking for, the Blue Mudman G9000MX-2. I ride a Yamaha dirt bike and LOVE that it is color matched to that. Also, the blue tinted display is the coolest thing. After finding it, I searched all over the web for a store that sells them. They are listed on Rakuten and other sites for $100~, but sold out everywhere. There are a couple on ebay for $300+, but there is no way I'm paying that much for a $100 watch. So, now I'm looking at other options. I have also seen the straps and bezel sold on ebay for $70, or $25 for just the bezel. But I also want that blue screen, and no other 9000 model has it that I have found. My question then is, what is the cheapest way that I can frankenstein together and get the result of the blue resin Mudman WITH the blue tinted screen, and how do I go about doing that?

Re: Blue Mudman how-to?

Quote Originally Posted by shleeve View Post
    Hi all, I recently have been bitten by the G-Shock bug, but with 6.5" wrists I am being picky about what to buy. I picked up a Giez GS1100 which is very cool, but have it up for trade as I am kinda wanting something digital. Now, yesterday I came across what I think is the coolest G-Shock in the size range that I am looking for, the Blue Mudman G9000MX-2. I ride a Yamaha dirt bike and LOVE that it is color matched to that. Also, the blue tinted display is the coolest thing. After finding it, I searched all over the web for a store that sells them. They are listed on Rakuten and other sites for $100~, but sold out everywhere. There are a couple on ebay for $300+, but there is no way I'm paying that much for a $100 watch. So, now I'm looking at other options. I have also seen the straps and bezel sold on ebay for $70, or $25 for just the bezel. But I also want that blue screen, and no other 9000 model has it that I have found. My question then is, what is the cheapest way that I can frankenstein together and get the result of the blue resin Mudman WITH the blue tinted screen, and how do I go about doing that?
    i think i may be able to help you with that. i think i found brand new straps and bezel for the mudman yamaha, but its here in the Philippines ...

As far as the blue tinted screen, there a couple of fairly easy methods you could use. One involves applying auto headlight tint to the outside of the crystal. I have never used this method, but some members have had very good results, as shown in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cha...n-2464385.html . Notice on page two there is a nice example of blue.

The method I have used is using colored gel filters inside the case. A sample packet with every imaginable color can be picked up cheaply, and the size of these are sufficient for our purposes: Rosco Roscolux Swatchbook 950SBLUX0103 B&H Photo Video . Here are the results I have had with other colors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    As far as the blue tinted screen, there a couple of fairly easy methods you could use. One involves applying auto headlight tint to the outside of the crystal. I have never used this method, but some members have had very good results, as shown in this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cha...n-2464385.html . Notice on page two there is a nice example of blue.

The method I have used is using colored gel filters inside the case. A sample packet with every imaginable color can be picked up cheaply, and the size of these are sufficient for our purposes: Rosco Roscolux Swatchbook 950SBLUX0103 B&H Photo Video . Here are the results I have had with other colors.

Those gel filters are awesome and cheap! Will definitely get a pack of those. Also are modules available to buy alone anywhere?

Garden City Park, New York, United States

I want that orange range man!
    Knives and Lint likes this.
    MikeCfromLI

Quote Originally Posted by shleeve View Post
    Those gel filters are awesome and cheap! Will definitely get a pack of those. Also are modules available to buy alone anywhere?

Unfortunately they are not readily available anymore ever since pacparts stopped selling them. Some pop up on the bay from time to time but it's hit or miss. There are likely some other sources out there but I am not aware of any, and none have been reported on the forum.

Your best bet as far as I can tell would be to get a standard g9000 as a donor watch, swap the resin for blue, and then tint the screen. One thing to keep I mind is that the printed lettering on the face of the watch will remain the stock color (for example the yellow "Mudman" and "Water 200M Resist" writing on the crystal of the standard g9000). This is because the gel filter is placed inside the case between the module and crystal. I think it'll look fine that way, but I just thought I should mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCfromLI View Post
    I want that orange range man!
    Thanks! Yea, I must say I am really happy with that one. It was the result of a perfect storm situation where I found a yellow GW9430 on the Bay with stained resin. I was able to dye it orange and cover the stains, as well as use the rest of the watch for three other customs. I don't think I would've been able to do it were it not for the damaged watch being sold for such a great deal on EBay. Here's the thread documenting the build: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/pro...n-2653985.html

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Just to have a pic in this thread.

I also added the 9052 in blue.

The method I have used is using colored gel filters inside the case. A sample packet with every imaginable color can be picked up cheaply, and the size of these are sufficient for our purposes: Rosco Roscolux Swatchbook 950SBLUX0103 B&H Photo Video .
    That seems like a great idea! I've never customized a G, but like the thought of trying this as my initial foray into it. If I can source this in the UK, (sure I can), do you have any tips on cutting and fitting these filters?
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

Quote Originally Posted by sodamonkey View Post
    That seems like a great idea! I've never customized a G, but like the thought of trying this as my initial foray into it. If I can source this in the UK, (sure I can), do you have any tips on cutting and fitting these filters?
    Yes...First I would advise to use a piece of paper and cut it to the size of the inner case, and then you can use that as a template to cut the gel filter. That way you don't risk wasting the material while you're trying to get it just right. On models that have a "dial" or faceplate that comes out easily you can just remove that part and trace it, and that should make for a perfect fit.

Also, on solar models, make sure to pay attention to where the springs on the front of the module connect to the solar panel, and trim a little extra material there so that they can make a connection.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. No harder than a module swap to tell the truth. Just be careful not to get dust or fingerprints on the inside of the crystal. If you do you can always clean it, but it's a problem that's easier to prevent than remedy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information