Bogey gets a Risey -- from the wifey.

Thread: Bogey gets a Risey -- from the wifey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bogey gets a Risey -- from the wifey.

Ok, I know how tiring it must be to keep reading some new thread which basically says the same thing, but I can hardly contain it anymore.

Meet the newest member of the Riseman club.

After weeks of combing my brain on which G to get, comparing their respective pros and cons, the wife at some point decided that enough was enough -- if I couldn't make up my mind, she would just have to do it for me.

And so it was that yesterday, December 24 (GMT+8), that I undid the giftwrapping to find a shiny new G-9200-1DR dragon Riseman sitting in the familiar tin can, saying hello to its new owner.

The first thing I did, and I mean the very first thing, was to toss it in the air and let it drop to the concrete floor (with my wife's permission, of course), not unlike the nautical tradition of breaking a champagne bottle across a ship's stern, signaling her maiden voyage.

The Risey's not radio-set, to be sure, but I've found that it's actually one less thing for me to worry about since conditions for atomic sync are far from ideal where I am anyway. Besides, I didn't want to stress myself out wondering why my Riseman hasn't synced yet.

Modest wrist shots to follow.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; December 26th, 2008 at 07:08.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Re: Bogey gets a Risey -- from the wifey.

Congrats on being a Riseman owner, they are comfortable on the wrist and the functions are fun!

Welcome to the Riseman club!!! :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ultramanpat View Post
    Congrats on being a Riseman owner, they are comfortable on the wrist and the functions are fun!
    Thanks, and yes, the Riseman rests comfortably on my wrist, despite my impressions to the contrary judging by how big the photos make it look. It actually feels lighter than my DW-9051, despite the features its supposed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C
    Welcome to the Riseman club!!! :)
    Thanks, Jeff. You know, I was actually tempted at one point to pull off that holiday stunt you did (taking advanced peeks at the gift box), but I managed to hold myself back. I was expecting the wife to get the Gulfman instead since it costs about half the Riseman's price, but each has its impressive technical merits after all, so either watch would have made me a very happy camper really.

I've often debated with myself on the usefulness of AB functions with my kind of lifestyle, but nevertheless the geek in me is presently immersing himself into the watch's myriad functions, and imagining everyday scenarios where they would come in handy. Something this pricey isn't going to remain without a purpose for long.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; December 25th, 2008 at 16:47.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Congrats Bogey! That's a GR8 gift no doubt. Enjoy fiddling with it..

Welcome to Club Riseman Bogey I dont think anyone uses all there watch functions daily but its nice to know you have them if you want to check if it looks like rain or what elevation you are at. I did use it to check the tempeture im my car during the summer,left it in the console out of direct sunlight, it was 120 thats a little warm

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Another club Riseman member! Congratulations, Bogey - enjoy the watch.

Funny how it was that very same Riseman I was talking about in another thread, the one that I spotted at the mall side by side with the G-9100 Gulfman. I had really intended to check out just the Gulfie (gotta see that titanium caseback up close), but ended up trying both on my wrist, and the wife must have noticed that I spent an awful lot more time ogling the Riseman. Even the sales attendant seemed surprised that I was able to enumerate the Riseman's features, considering that it was just released in my part of the world. I showed both models to my year-old daughter and asked her opinion on which timepiece daddy should get. She looked at both, and reached for the Risey. I thought, "Great, here's another budding geek in the family."

After noting to give both models a lot more thought, we left the store -- and a few minutes later the wife excused herself under the pretext of a bum stomach. Foolish me, I took her word for it, seeing that I had my daughter and her nanny in tow, and I wouldn't want to leave them alone in a public place. So the wife did go back to the store and purchased the Riseman, giving specific instructions to the sales staff to not sell me any in the event that I went looking for it myself.

Turns out that the Riseman they had on display had just arrived two days prior, since the store was receiving a lot of inquiries over the phone as to when it will arrive. And it ended up falling into the hands of a walk-in customer.

Last edited by Bogeyman; December 27th, 2008 at 14:59.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Funny how it was that very same Riseman I was talking about in another thread, the one that I spotted at the mall side by side with the G-9100 Gulfman. I had really intended to check out just the Gulfie (gotta see that titanium caseback up close), but ended up trying both on my wrist, and the wife must have noticed that I spent an awful lot more time ogling the Riseman. Even the sales attendant seemed surprised that I was able to enumerate the Riseman's features, considering that it was just released in my part of the world. I showed both models to my year-old daughter and asked her opinion on which timepiece daddy should get. She looked at both, and reached for the Risey. I thought, "Great, here's another budding geek in the family."

After noting to give both models a lot more thought, we left the store -- and a few minutes later the wife excused herself under the pretext of a bum stomach. Foolish me, I took her word for it, seeing that I had my daughter and her nanny in tow, and I wouldn't want to leave them alone in a public place. So the wife did go back to the store and purchased the Riseman, giving specific instructions to the sales staff to not sell me any in the event that I went looking for it myself.

Turns out that the Riseman they had on display had just arrived two days prior, since the store was receiving a lot of inquiries over the phone as to when it will arrive. And it ended up falling into the hands of a walk-in customer.
    Good thing you spent some time on this crazy forum, eh Bogey?

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Good thing you spent some time on this crazy forum, eh Bogey?
    This 'crazy forum' has just doomed my budget for the next 12 months. Next on my list: a new bezel and strap for my DW-9051, another cherished timepiece from my wife.

She's practically encouraging me to start my own G collection, for when we have a planned baby boy sometime next year, the same thing she's doing now with jewelry for our baby girl; she's already imagining me buying him his first G a few hours after he's born.

Special thanks to you, BenL for your suggestions, despite the endless conditions I had to consider; I haven't gotten around to Amazon.com, and it looks like I wouldn't have to, at least for the time being.

One thing I noticed is that, up until last night, the barometric pressure graph hardly showed anything other than a couple of dots. At first I was a bit worried that it could be the sensor malfunctioning on such a new watch (I even recalibrated it back to the factory settings several times just to reassure myself), but then I remembered noticing some pretty erratic weather patterns in our area in the last 24 hours. The pressure readings therefore could have been well beyond the measurement range that the Riseman is capable of. It's stabilized relatively now, as I'm looking at it.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; December 26th, 2008 at 06:30.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information