Broke a G.... &*$%($!!!

Thread: Broke a G.... &*$%($!!!

Broke a G.... &*$%($!!!

Somehow I pulled a springbar out of the case of my G7800 leaving a gouge between the hole in the lug and the edge of the case. Now the springbar won't stay in the hole and that half of the strap keeps falling off. You'd think I'd remember catching the watch on something hard enough to rip a springbar out of the case, but I don't.

The resin case is so soft! I can gouge it with my fingernail.

Any ideas on how I might repair this? Maybe a soldering iron to melt/fill in the gouge? Some kind of plastic filler? It's my favourite G, and it's not wearable now. Got it only last December, so I'm kinda miffed.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    Last edited by Popoki Nui; August 10th, 2010 at 08:31. Reason: spelling
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Re: Broke a G.... &*$%($!!!

JB Weld?
    Matt

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Thank God that I own a few all stainless steel G-Shocks. This is a very scary thing to happen to a hard plastic resin case watch. I also own the G7800, but I have not worn the watch at all since I got it brand new back 2 months ago. I wasn't aware that the hard plastic resin case on the G7800 is that soft and brittle. I'm wondering whether or not the hard plastic resin case on the G7800 is much softer than on the DW5600E-1V?
    I'm wearing a DW5000SL Spike Lee right now with the all stainless steel case. This is another reason why I think that Casio should revert back to all stainless steel cases with some of their G-Shock models. On the hard plastic resin case, if any of the 4 lugs accidently snaps off or if any of the lug holes gets bigger, the watch becomes useless and cannot be worn anymore. You don't have these worries with an all stainless steel case G-Shock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can try to fill it with some kind of 2-component glue. Or you can drill through the holes and use a pin instead of a spring bar.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried 2-part epoxy, but it doesn't stick to the resin case. Might try JB Weld next, but in the meantime I reamed the springbar hole deeper, and used a springbar without flanges. The end piece of the springbar goes in deeper now, past the gouged-out area, and has the same or maybe greater holding depth than it did originally. Let's see if this works.

Thanks again!
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Great job mate! Your watch is like brand new again.

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    ... I reamed the springbar hole deeper, and used a springbar without flanges. The end piece of the springbar goes in deeper now, past the gouged-out area, and has the same or maybe greater holding depth ...
    good idea

Thread Information