Broken g!!!

Thread: Broken g!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Broken g!!!

*EDIT: Put up a clearer photo.*

Hi guys,

I've had a bad experience with my first G. I bought my G-7800B about 2 months ago and it was all very well until yesterday when it fell from a 1.5 meter height on to a hard surface. At first I was angry because the metal bezel got a bit scratched but I was confident that the watch would keep on working, given it is a G-Shock watch with a "SHOCK RESIST" engraving on its back. But after a few hours I noticed a "hole" which appeared on the negative display, as if the LCD were peeling off. And that is not all. The hole has been growing and I am worried it will spread all over the screen.

I don't know if you can see it but the "hole" is between minutes and the seconds.

The warranty says it is only valid in Europe, where I bought it, which means I would have to send it overseas and pay for all expenses. I wanted to know if this has ever happened to you and if you know of a way to fix it. I've been wanting to take off the battery to see if that fixes it but I'm not sure.

I am really disappointed as I thought this watch would last me a lifetime and it lasted a little over a month. I do not know if it is something with this particular model or if it is a defective watch, but I'm having second thoughts about that second G-Shock I wanted.
    Last edited by g_shocker; December 4th, 2010 at 15:33.

Re: Broken g!!!

First of all don't doubt G-shock Thoughtless about that Model Can't help you never had one of those... But I think it's not an easy fix, Sorry G-shocker

Perhaps the face was unfortunately hitting an edge of some kind, making the force of the impact so uneven that the polarizing film came a little loose and also allowed the crystals to flow out of order.

Normally a G is supposed to survive drops up to 10 meters, 1.5 meter drops on flat surface should not be enough speed to cause that kind of damage on a G.

You have been most unfortunate in this case.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry it happened, but with G-Shocks, the bigger bulky ones are generally the best "shock resist" G-Shocks.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    Sorry it happened, but with G-Shocks, the bigger bulky ones are generally the best "shock resist" G-Shocks.
    All G-Shocks even the smallest ones and even baby G's are supposed to meet the triple ten criteria (10 meter drop, 10 bar WR and 10 year life span). So I do not think we can blaim this model, most likely it was just bad luck in this case.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Looks like the LCD is cracked!

We've all seen the black blob that appears on a broken LCD when it's positive colors. Just imagine that black blob reversed.

If you do decide to take it apart, you can press on the LCD. If the blob changes sizes it's cracked. Most likely on the edge where the glass layers are glued together. No, you can't reglue it. Also, if you take it apart be sure to be clean about it. Leaving fingerprints on the battery or anywhere else inside can void your warranty.

Does anyone know if this model uses the inner shock absorbers? Some Gs omit that, and I think that's a huge mistake.

Another possibility is that it's a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good fake, but that's kind of a small possibility. I've heard of that with Rolexes.

You should be mad about this. I'd be FURIOUS!

P.S. I always drop all my new watches the day I get them onto carpet at different angles to weed out major flaws like this (except the automatics).
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Wow.. that really shouldn't happen..

Really bad luck..

Paul

It's possible that the LCD itself was already damaged for some reason even before the fall.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

I would still speak with Casio, it`s a G-Shock and should be able to deal with being knocked about, I dropped one my Protek`s (PRG-80L) by accident about the same distance on to a stone floor and it is fine even though it landed face down. Accidental damage it may be, however they are designed for this very situation, and lets face it you have little to loose...

Q-6

Quote Originally Posted by cdude View Post
    Does anyone know if this model uses the inner shock absorbers?
    It does - and not a small one either - you can see it in the back of the pic:

I think it really was bad luck and something hit the crystal. They are tough but they don't survive everything- I'd also try to make a warranty claim.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information