Broken Sabbatical. Watchuseeeek!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Broken Sabbatical. Watchuseeeek!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Broken Sabbatical. Watchuseeeek!

Hi all
    My laptop imploded so I've been incommunicado for a week. However, about 3 months ago I announced on the public forum that I would be taking a Sabbatical from future purchases for 'more than a year'. I have to admit that this is now well and truly broken. I bought a sneaky Orient which I somehow managed to tell myself "didn't count" but in the last month I've bought 3 G-Shocks. I can be silent no longer. My resolve has failed. I am bereft.....of guilt! At the start of August I bought the shiny black G-Lide I think I've posted a picture of and at the end of August I had planned to get a new lens for my GX1. It turned out nobody stocks the one I wanted in Suzhou. After a frustrating time in my local electrical retailer, which has 6 Micro Four Thirds cameras and not a single kit lens on offer, I stormed out, determined to go to Shanghai the next day for it. I turned round the corner....and walked straight into a brand new Casio-only outlet which has quite a decent range....and two Frogmans. I had a very long look at the black Frogman, at 6,690 RMB, tried it on and asked for a 10% discount, which was agreed to. I then asked them to give me 10 mins to think about it as it is a lot of money. When I came back to the outlet, having decided that I would get a Riseman instead as I just could not justify being so impecunious for an entire month as a result of acquiring this piece whereupon I was advised the discount had been countermanded by the area manager. Which meant I could not actually buy The Riseman in that shop. So I went to the local High End place which hides the cheapy stuff (like Japanese-made Levis) upstairs and had a few Gs to choose from. I have known for a long time that I really had to get a DW6900, so I got the NB version, which I hereby dubb "The Darth Vader". I was very surprised at the limited functionality of the mvt, but in fact I feel I like it more for that very reason. OK, a 2nd TZ would be nice since I'm living away from my home country, but I can subtract 7 hours from the time easily enough. I also bought.....a GWX-56! Black with red accents. Now, I fullly admit to having made derogatory comments regarding this model, purely for it size and mostly for it being worn on tiny wrists. But as the attached pic shos, this actually fits me and has immens wrist presence. I really like it. So my certainty that the 5600 series is thee definitive G has taken a slight knock of late, but I am very glad I bought these models. I was thinking of a 9000 series Mudman to complete my horde, but I quite fancy another DW6900. I'll need to wait and see. One thing is for certain. I am a "Shockophile".
    Attached Images Attached Images

sameerb, dobber72 and Feisar like this.

LUW

Re: Broken Sabbatical. Watchuseeeek!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    Now, I fullly admit to having made derogatory comments regarding this model, purely for it size and mostly for it being worn on tiny wrists.
    With me it was the same: I basically hated it when I first saw, but after seeing it in person it has become one of my favorite Gs.
    And BTW, you're doomed .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Banned

LOL, LUW!
    It was illuminating to see the GWX-56 wrist-shot for the first time- ok, it's huge, but not ridiculous, at least on a 7.5" wrist- I made sure I took this with a 50mm focal length. I strongly suggest others take wrist shots from this distance to avoid distortion from wide angle lenses. I have a long coffee table, on one end of which I placed a detergent container, made sure the writing was in focus with the camera resting on the table at the other end. Then I delayed the shutter by 10s and quickly lined up my wrist in the same position as the nearest side of the detergent box, wheeched it away and placed my wrist on the table. I think this is a good strategy for a picture with natural perspective.
    I think another watch as big as this would risk being ridiculous, but the fact that this is a G-Shock gives it credibility.
    I must confess to testing the 56. I thought about it for a long time, but eventually smashed it into my concrete floor from full overarm extension in a sitting position- twice. There is now a friction mark on one shoulder and one strap-screw has been pushed slightly out of alignment, but it works fine of course. I did the same thing for the DW6900-NB, harder but only once. Sort of an initiation ritual. I realised I had never exerted any strain at all on any of my Gs, despite dropping and knocking all my autos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    I think another watch as big as this would risk being ridiculous, but the fact that this is a G-Shock gives it credibility.
    Without a doubt! A G can be big & brutal and still look good on the wrist, but something else may look kind of ridiculous.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Banned

OK, I'll say it. Tag. (shudder)

Congrats on a great looking GWX!

Who could stay on sabbatical when surrounded by Casio outlets and stores offering nice Gs anyway?

Always enjoy stories of stalking and snagging Gs in a store; have never done it personally but hope to find Sasquatch in a Penny's display one day. =-)

And the testing, I never see owners of other watches do this, but I sat on the bottom of the pool yesterday and tested my GS-1300 buttons at 10 feet just because.

We shockaholics want to be sure!

Scottish Steve, you are well and truly doomed. Especially as a recent king convert! Glad you fell of the wagon.
    No comment on the tag. :cool:
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Steve, I've had friends tell me for years how great Gs are but I never felt the need to try one. My froggy changed all that and now I'm afraid I've also been bitten by the King G bug... Even posted a WTB here on WUS LoL!
    Great collection you have there and welcome back ;)

Great story Scottish Steve, I enjoyed reading it. The part about the discount being countermanded... :D

The King looks good on your wrist. Enjoy the collection and welcome to the deep end.

---

Wear them all in the best of health and good humor!

Josh
    (Resistance is futile)
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information