Brush with death...

Thread: Brush with death...

Brush with death...

...for my GW300A Atomic Solar G, that is. I wore it last Sunday while doing some outside chores and all was fine. Then in the evening when I looked to check the time... dead screen!!! The only action was a small "charge" message flashing on & off.

"Great", I thought " the solar cell has cratered." Hung it over a lamp for a couple of hours to try & charge it, but that was no go. Monday morning it was still dead, as expected.

But on Tuesday morning after it had been sitting in a relatively dark corner for more than a day, it was back in action and showing a medium charge level!! :-S

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with it, but I'll be giving it plenty of time in the sun for the rest of the week. I've read many posts about the power cell in this model going bad, so this might be an early sign of that happening. I hope not, though. This guy is my favorite G!
    Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

Wink Re: Brush with death...

Hi Lee,

That sounds nasty. The first generation GW-300's and severalother models were equipped with not good functioning batteries. You can test this by pressing the light button. If the light doesn't light up or only flashes shortly and the watch turns into recovery mode, you can be sure the battery (CLT1616) is defective.

Sending it to Casio Sales and Services is the best option, although it will cost pretty much, considdered the (economical) worth of your watch. You might considder to change the battery yourself. Asuoab made a topic about changing a CLT1616 battery. You'll find an adress where to find the battery also. Operating the GW-300 will be eventually easier than the metal bracelet MTG-900. Of caurse I can't tell you if the watch is still water resist after replacing the battery.

Casio had mentioned that the Panasonic CLT-1616 is improved to prevent these calamities.

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: Brush with death...

Thanks Sjors.

So far so good today. The light is functioning normally and power is holding steady at medium in office lighting.

I'll bookmark the instruction page you mentioned in case I need it later. That's a great tutorial!

Cheers!
    Last edited by leewmeister; September 19th, 2006 at 22:31.
    Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by leewmeister
    ...for my GW300A Atomic Solar G, that is. I wore it last Sunday while doing some outside chores and all was fine. Then in the evening when I looked to check the time... dead screen!!! The only action was a small "charge" message flashing on & off.

"Great", I thought " the solar cell has cratered." Hung it over a lamp for a couple of hours to try & charge it, but that was no go. Monday morning it was still dead, as expected.

But on Tuesday morning after it had been sitting in a relatively dark corner for more than a day, it was back in action and showing a medium charge level!! :-S

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with it, but I'll be giving it plenty of time in the sun for the rest of the week. I've read many posts about the power cell in this model going bad, so this might be an early sign of that happening. I hope not, though. This guy is my favorite G!
    Well, in the manual it states that if the screen gets too got it will shut off. Then, when you put it under the lamp it just got hotter maybe. Finally it cooled down when it was left in the dark corner.

This is just a guess though. Not actually sure of what happened. :-S

I know at first a while back there was a batch oif BAD batteries all cleared up now I understand ! So like they say I guess you need a new battery !:-S

Thread Information