Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bull bars available??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bull bars available??

Over on Yahoo Japan I found some Bull bars for sale

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1381558054332.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  37.6 KB

I know it's a ProTrek in the photo, but it says they are also doing it for the GW4000, GA1000, and the GW9300.

I found it when searching for watches. No association with the seller in any way, I know some people are really into bullbars, and you rarely see them for sale. Anywhere. And I don't think anyone thought of them for any of these watches. In any case, Google translator also says you get to pick the color. Have fun!

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: Bull bars available??

Hmm.. bullbars on Protrek make sense. It seems to be a wire with color coated. The coat may tear out after getting some hit.

They usually do, lol. Translator said "stainless steel" and I gotta believe the color is from some sort of liquid rubber. No new tech by any stretch, but for some people these are gold.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I'd seen those as well. If only they weren't so... thick. A color would be really off putting, unless you find one that matches the band. I'd stick with black. Here's a direct link: Yahoo Japan - Protrek Protectors. Too bad they don't offer them on eBay. The overhead from buying on YJP through a proxy service would more than double the product cost.

Anyway... thinking of bullbars, there are many G-Shock models that could benefit from them. If you live in a country like Mexico, Brazil or Turkiye, you can usually find skilled craftsmen who are proficient at whipping up custom metal parts for all kinds of purposes. They usually do it for mechanical parts that are either too expensive to order from international sources or are simply no longer made. All you need to do is use a firm but semi-flexible wire, configure it around a G-Shock with proper symmetry, then hand it over for duplication. Or if you have an original set, provide it as a master. No doubt they'd be able to imitate it with the appropriate metal for a little flex without causing fatigue that would snap it. Doing just one would be cost prohibitive, but get about 50 made and you can recoup your costs (and then some) by selling a boat-load of them. $25 a pop.
    Last edited by xevious; October 12th, 2013 at 16:28.
    Chrisek likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I think the black one looks good. Actually, I will want one if I have PRW3000. I'd rather have a ding and tear on the bullbars than on the bezel. Chronowatch member in UK (andy1208blue on eBay) used to make this kind of bullbars for 5600/6900 and Frogman 200. I have some of them. I think he quits doing it when TikTox started to sell the 5600/6900 versions. If he makes one for the Protrek, it will sell.

Name:  tk_com_jp-img600x480-1380029088fhykor53501.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  38.6 KB

I used to have a watch with "bull bars", can't remember what was it but the bars actually does more damage to the watch than protecting it.
    Chrisek likes this.

I would love bullbars for the GX-56. I don't know why but I'd love it!
    jaysandkays likes this.

Hail to the King, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by civic98 View Post
    I used to have a watch with "bull bars", can't remember what was it but the bars actually does more damage to the watch than protecting it.
    If subjected to a long period of extreme heat, the bars can melt impressions into the resin bezel. Or if they're frequently banged, over some time they can cause indentations or marks on the resin too. Is that what happened to yours? For the most part, they're present as additional protection to the crystal and for a visual accessory. I'll never forget reading a few early posts about these, and how some young owners tossed them out thinking that they were just part of the packaging or simply didn't like how they looked. Kind of ironic given how sought after they are now. None of the aftermarket ones, as least for the 5600, have matched OEM fit and quality.
    Chrisek likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Why does no one think to make bull bars for g-shock? I think demand is high.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan17 View Post
    Why does no one think to make bull bars for g-shock? I think demand is high.
    It seems "high" only in the fact that a number of people on WUS vocalize their desire for them. But... in reality, it's a very niche kind of thing. If CASIO saw the market for it, they'd make them again. After all, they likely still have the molds for them. But there's the overhead cost in producing, packaging, and distributing them. The only thing we can hope for is that they release another 5600 model with them, and thus make them included in the parts inventory. But knowing CASIO, it would be a limited edition and now they've seriously cut back on the ability to order limited edition parts (you have to send in your watch for servicing to get a desired part).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information