button fell off first try
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lowtech
  • 1 Post By Nokoff

Thread: button fell off first try

button fell off first try

Just received my new WS220-1A Solar runners watch and the mode button fell off first time I pressed it. I reinserted it and it seems secure, maybe even moreso than before. It's working. This watch will be submerged and now I have concerns if it's watertight. Does this happen a lot? Would you return it or test it to be watertight in the sink.
    not a knockoff..

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: button fell off first try

Never heard of a CASIO watch button falling off like that. Was it just a plastic piece and it snaps onto a metal pin? If so, I don't think you've got anything to worry about for leakage. CASIO seems to employ the same kind of button shaft and o-ring design on most models. Very sturdy. In order to fully extract a button, a special "e" clip needs to be removed from the inside. If yours fell off somehow, the button would not stay inside.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

To illustrate what Xevious said:

It looks like this on the inside

This is the button stem without the circlip:

If you could pull out the button stem, the circlip / e-clip fell off. It needs to be reattached. Any watchmaker shopuld be able to do this. If the watch is new, it´s a warranty issue for sure. Don´t submerge the watch, if the button stem is pulled out too far while under water, the seals will not work.
    Sjors likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The button with stem just fell right off, so now knowing about the clip,, it must not be secure even though it won't pull off now.
    Being a brand new purchase I'll send it back. It would have been disappointong to keep it and have it fail whether that be falling off while running or allowing water to penetrate.
    Thank you both for your help.
    not a knockoff..

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by Nokoff View Post
    The button with stem just fell right off, so now knowing about the clip,, it must not be secure even though it won't pull off now.
    Being a brand new purchase I'll send it back. It would have been disappointong to keep it and have it fail whether that be falling off while running or allowing water to penetrate.
    Thank you both for your help.
    I'm glad lowtech showed those photos, as they really illustrate it properly. Yeah, there must have been some manufacturing anomaly and the "e" clip was not put on properly. It must have popped off and is loose inside the case. Strange how the button is staying in place, though. Without the clip, it should pop out, because the button is spring loaded. Maybe the bezel cut-out around the button is somehow holding onto it?

The only issue here is that with the button securely in place and looking normal, it would be hard to prove to the seller that there is any flaw with the watch. If I were you, I'd see if you can get the button to pop out again. Then send it back with the button removed. That will prove your case without a doubt.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

After returning my watch I'm much happier with the replacement I received today, a DW5600E. Actually it's my first. G-Shock. I promptly christened it with mud and water today and it cleaned up great.
    I almost kept the other.. so glad it worked out how it did now...and I didn't have any trouble with the return. When U buy from Amazon directly they even pay return shipping and pick it up from your front porch.
    Last edited by Nokoff; July 15th, 2012 at 03:49.
    kurzjak likes this.
    not a knockoff..

After returning my watch I'm much happier with the replacement I received today, a DW5600E. Actually it's my first. G-Shock. I promptly christened it with mud and water today and it cleaned up great.
    I almost kept the other.. so glad it worked out how it did now...and I didn't have any trouble with the return. When U buy from Amazon directly they even pay return shipping and pick it up from your front porch.
    amazon is awesome, and congrats on the dw5600e its an awesome watch for the price

Congrats on your first G. WHen I started reading this thread (about a minute ago) and saw which waatch you originally purchased, I looked it up. I immediately thought about the g-shock equivelant to that, it would be the 7700 models. You should check them out, I think they're geared towards running. Take care.

Thread Information