To buy a riseman? Or to not...

Thread: To buy a riseman? Or to not...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    79x

To buy a riseman? Or to not...

Hi All,

I am thinking about buying the Riseman but after glancing through the online manual I have some reservations regarding the complexity of the watch.

It says that, amongst other things, you have to leave it pointing at a window when you leave it overnight and there must be no other metal objects nearby?! It sounds like a pain to own if this is true!

I used to own a G-1000H which, although a beautifully engineered/looking watch, I had to sell because it was just too fiddly to operate.

Would I experience the same with the Riseman do you think?

Re: To buy a riseman? Or to not...

Your mileage will vary when it comes to the atomics. Some people have zero issues with the syncing, others have more frequent problems. It generally has to do with your proximity to the atomic clock location but other things can certainly affect the signal. It's almost impossible to say for sure how well it will work for you. In the last place I lived, my atomics would link up every night without fail - in my current location, it's very much hit or miss.

The atomic sync is absolutely NOT necessary every night or even every week - these are digital watches, so they won't lose/gain that many seconds in a month. But, it's always nice to have the feature working - after all, you're paying for it. So it's really your decision on whether you'd be ok with the watch potentially not syncing every night. There are a few members (cal .45 probably being the most vocal :) ) who feel that the benefits of atomic and solar are outweighed by the time and effort that some people spend worrying about them.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Yes, it depends on your location. I've never had to point my watch in any direction. It syncs on my wrist whatever I'm doing.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had an atomic watch for about a month now and it hasn't synced even once. I've never left it in a window overnight and I do live really far from the atomic tower (and right next to a major city). So I can't complain. Others get syncs every night though.

79x, where do you live? That's important data.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

my riseman has synced once, only because i left it on my window sill over night. i tried it in the day time in my car by the beach, no dice. tried it once in the middle of a golf round, no dice. window sill worked great. if i remember correctly, it only syncs past midnight anyways.
    i <3 GSHOCKS
    gr8900a || g300-ml || ef-552
    dw6500 "skyforce" || gw410-tcj "triple crown" || gw7900rd-4 "men in burning red" || gd100-ns7 "nigel sylvester"
    gw9200-1 "bullbar riseman mod" || gd100-sc7 "black and blue mod" || gd100-1b "sf giants mod" || g9000mx-8 "poorman's miro mudman mod"

When I had one, it synced every night. It never seemed like a faulty implementation. The radio waves are supposed to propogate best at night, which is why they try to do it then.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

In SoCal, mine syncs about 9 nights out of 10, just left on my nightstand (which is pretty close to a window). On the window sill, my sync rate is 100%. My manual sync rate is pretty low, usually because I usually try during the day.

I believe the manual says it won't sync in a car.

And, isn't there a non-atomic version of the Riseman? That would seem to address the OP's major concern.

i just checked when my watch synced last. apparently it synced while in the watch box, about 12 feet away from the closest window. but yeah, manual sync has not worked for me out of the times ive tried. cannot get past an L1 signal strength.
    i <3 GSHOCKS
    gr8900a || g300-ml || ef-552
    dw6500 "skyforce" || gw410-tcj "triple crown" || gw7900rd-4 "men in burning red" || gd100-ns7 "nigel sylvester"
    gw9200-1 "bullbar riseman mod" || gd100-sc7 "black and blue mod" || gd100-1b "sf giants mod" || g9000mx-8 "poorman's miro mudman mod"

Its a great watch get it. yes you might have to put it by a window at night. No problem really. One poster said he never got a sync. With all Radio G shocks. There is nothing atomic on the watch just a radio receiver. You need to make sure that the home location is changed from Japan if you are not in Japan. That is the default location and your watch will not be on the correct frequency. I am in So Cal also and think I only got a daytime sync a couple of times.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information