Buyer's remorse or ?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Buyer's remorse or ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Buyer's remorse or ?

I think I'm either having buyers remorse, or I've finally had my minimalism / OCD ways trump my constantly revolving collection of G's??? I have wanted to obtain a King for quite some time now..... and now that I have it, I'm having a REALLY strong urge to sell / give away all my G's and get a simple DW6900?

The DW6900 (the one in my profile's avatar) was my original shock, and I wore it for over ten trouble-free years, and was completely happy with it. Since it broke, I have had well over twenty different shocks, Oceanus, and Pathfinders.... all in hopes of finding "the one!". But to much disappointment, each time I get a new one (and give away the old one), I almost instantly start looking for another one. After doing the math in my head, I cannot believe how much I have spent in money, time, and research - all in an attempt to replace something so simple. My 6900 was with me through thick and thin for over a decade, and since then I have not kept a single watch for more than a couple months or so. For some reason, this really bothered me today, in the wasted money, and excess in purchasing.

I have had buyers remorse before, but never to the point of wanting to purge all (only three right now) remaining shocks and get a simple (non solar, non atomic) 6900. Heck, I even tried to give away my Muddy, and it found it's way back to me...... that has to be a sign of sorts?

Aaarrrggghh! I'm torn. I'll sit on this for a while - I think? Or I'll start giving away the shocks and run to the local Wal-mart and pick up a 6900?

(and it even bothers me that I have put this much thought into this - which is truly a first world problem)
    iamsupersam likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: Buyer's remorse or ?

It happens. We get onto the G-Shock quest looking for the model that will end the search, but we find that we keep looking. Sometimes I wonder if this is part of CASIO's plan. They do it by leaving one or more features either slightly anemic (like a 60 minute CDT) or missing altogether (like no time display during STW mode). In the end, you like a watch but find it's just not completely satisfying, especially after seeing a new model come out that looks like it's better.

But in the end, what's most important is the combination of usability and appearance that "feels right" to you. It doesn't mean you must have that one watch only. I think variety is the spice o' life, and so it's nice to have a couple of G-Shocks.

Sleep on it. See how you feel over the next couple of days. If you find the feeling doesn't go away and you're craving a 6900 in place of the others in your collection, then follow your gut instinct. My only recommendation is to not sell anything until you've had the 6900 for a little while first. You might find that it's only a couple of models that have washed over and you're ready to let go. The King is a fun model, a real novelty in terms of size. It could be worth keeping around.
    iamsupersam likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    It happens. We get onto the G-Shock quest looking for the model that will end the search, but we find that we keep looking. Sometimes I wonder if this is part of CASIO's plan. They do it by leaving one or more features either slightly anemic (like a 60 minute CDT) or missing altogether (like no time display during STW mode). In the end, you like a watch but find it's just not completely satisfying, especially after seeing a new model come out that looks like it's better.

But in the end, what's most important is the combination of usability and appearance that "feels right" to you. It doesn't mean you must have that one watch only. I think variety is the spice o' life, and so it's nice to have a couple of G-Shocks.

Sleep on it. See how you feel over the next couple of days. If you find the feeling doesn't go away and you're craving a 6900 in place of the others in your collection, then follow your gut instinct. My only recommendation is to not sell anything until you've had the 6900 for a little while first. You might find that it's only a couple of models that have washed over and you're ready to let go. The King is a fun model, a real novelty in terms of size. It could be worth keeping around.
    Thanks for the input. While it is good advice, my biggest struggle is with having more than one (dang OCD / minimalism!). I have had no more than three at one time, but that is usually when I'm getting a new one and purging the oldest ones.

I simply wish at this point that I kind of never began in the first place and stuck with buying a new 6900 after I broke my first one?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Get a DW-6900 and sell the rest.

Cheers, Sedi

I definitely hear you about the minimalism and OCD.
    After buying and trying many G's, I prefer a simple module.
    It got old having to change all those time zones every 6 months.
    So my only G is a DW-6900.
    I do struggle when I see a new color : (
    They are really cool.
    carlfrak likes this.

I struggle with the same thing.
    I wish I had one, and keep trying to find it.
    Instead I have too many and want more.

I think the only way to break free is to do like you are proposing.

The only way to be happy with what you have, is to decide you are happy with what you have.

Trying to end desire by buying more of what you desire is like trying to put out a fire with more wood.
    iamsupersam and carlfrak like this.

Don't get me wrong, I love my collection and I enjoyed the search for cool G's and that wonderful moment when an unknown quantity arrives, it's cool as hell getting to know a new G. You can't beat buying a used G off the bay and hoping it's okay or genuine, water tight, working, a resin-rot time bomb and the feeling of relief when it's better than you imagined. I wonder, however, if the first G I bought had been a GW5600J whether I would have continued collecting or just stuck with that one. It basically is the G-Shock I was looking for all along, it ticks all the boxes and if I could only have one G, that would be it, it just makes me wonder...what if?
    Last edited by dobber72; June 24th, 2012 at 13:48.
    carlfrak likes this.

LUW

Rotate them. Keep no more then three Gs at the same time, but sell or give away one whenever you get a new one. That way you won't spend too much money and will still be in the G business.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I hear you and have the insatiable OCD the other way (thorough investigation and quantifying what i want) so going through many before "the great shedding event" happens and i get down to a reasonable number.
    I'm closer to Sedi on this. Get your 6900. Whatever version of it that pleases you. Sell the king. I still say that other watch came back to you and by your own logic it is the puppy that followed you home. If you find you still cannot deal with two, give it to a good home. My two cents.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    I hear you and have the insatiable OCD the other way (thorough investigation and quantifying what i want) so going through many before "the great shedding event" happens and i get down to a reasonable number.
    I'm closer to Sedi on this. Get your 6900. Whatever version of it that pleases you. Sell the king. I still say that other watch came back to you and by your own logic it is the puppy that followed you home. If you find you still cannot deal with two, give it to a good home. My two cents.
    Yeah.... I've been chewing on it all morning and think I'm going to purge these and get a 6900. I stopped by one store already and looked, but they didn't have any (and I'm on duty and cannot wonder out side of my response area - so ill have to wait until tomorrow anyways).

I'm thinking about deleting my account on here and everything - that way I'm less tempted to surf for new models? Drastic, I know...... But I'm simply yearning for simplification. Dang OCD. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information