A buying curfew is hitting me hard

Thread: A buying curfew is hitting me hard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A buying curfew is hitting me hard

I have just found you guys and all your enthusiasm and information but then I'm hit with a buying curfew and boy does it hurt. It appears that it's gonna last until October!!!

Impending wedding is one thing but now we've been accepted for a new rental property which is much more than current so my head tells me it's wise and sensible not to be frittering (GASP) money away on timepieces I don't need (don't listen to them!).

Yes my 240 is pretty recent and yes I've a 510 coming in from the States already paid for, and yes I've an Edifice I've barely had out of the tin because it's my wedding watch.

So why is my heart sulking like a teenager denied a late night?

No-one will understand except my new friends here.

Cheer me up please!!

(and posting pictures of a Garish Black 9200 Riseman isn't going to help, my head tells me).
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Re: A buying curfew is hitting me hard

First of all congratulations on the upcoming wedding, and the investment!!!

Speaking of investment, you could always do what many here do.....if there are watches in your collection you find you do not wear, and don't intend to wear much, you could sell it to fund your next purchase....guilt free...the hobby that funds itself :)
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 4 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

LUW

Congrats on the wedding!

When I have to go through curfews (and a long one will start in June or July ), I limit my hobby expenses only to "pocket change" - I save up on all the spare and loose cash that I get, and only use that for new stuff, leaving my bank account alone. I still mange to buy some new stuff, but I don't mess with the bank account, so in theory I'm still saving.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank u guys!

Sadly I don't really have any to sell but I do have other stuff - some books etc which I'm hoping to sacrifice for this cause.

The pocket change idea is good too but in truth it is still spending money which could go to more sensible ends.

October isn't that far away really, and flogging some unused stuff should yield a little pot of funds.

Then it's Xmas and birthday (early Jan) so there's good times ahead.

Best not to rely on controlling the beast with morsels, best leave it chained until the time to unchain it comes and it shall feast properly.

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

I too had to put a curfew on buying G-Shocks, earlier this year. Unfortunately,due to circumstances beyond my control, my curfew has now had to be extended indefinitely and I shall no longer be buying any more G-Shocks or any more watches for that matter. I do have a large collection, however, so it won't be too much of a hard ship. Half the fun for me of the G-Shock addiction was trawling WUS for models I hadn't heard of and then going on-line to track down a good deal. That is going to be the part I miss the most. I will miss it but I have put all my G's back into rotation now, some of you may have noticed, and that has made it a little easier and I have actually warmed to some models that I initially didn't like when I first got them, so it's not all bad.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, Andrew. Saving for life's necessities is far more important. It sounds like you have some G-Shocks to tie you over for the time being. All it means is just compiling a "future buy" list and then act on it when you're ready. Or... like you said, sell some things that you don't need and pool together enough for another G-Shock.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    I too had to put a curfew on buying G-Shocks, earlier this year. Unfortunately,due to circumstances beyond my control, my curfew has now had to be extended indefinitely and I shall no longer be buying any more G-Shocks or any more watches for that matter. I do have a large collection, however, so it won't be too much of a hard ship. Half the fun for me of the G-Shock addiction was trawling WUS for models I hadn't heard of and then going on-line to track down a good deal. That is going to be the part I miss the most. I will miss it but I have put all my G's back into rotation now, some of you may have noticed, and that has made it a little easier and I have actually warmed to some models that I initially didn't like when I first got them, so it's not all bad.
    Like you, I'm also in a restricted mode of not buying any new G-Shocks. Used are OK if it's a really good deal, but then I have to sell something in return. In fact, I'm gearing up to cull some of my collection as it is. You're absolutely right, that putting some seldom worn watches back into regular rotation is a helpful way to make up for no new ones. It also can help you decide if watches seldom worn was mainly due to not liking them as much, and hence good candidates to let go to other G-Shock buyers.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

It's a mare that times are so hard for so many people. I agree, and always have done, that the important things in life are by definition those that must be provided for first.

Hobbies are just that.

I've got a couple of additions to look forward too indeed, and then some saving and anticipation is good for the soul. Makes even the smallest purchase feel all the better.

There'll be a shot or two of the Edifice in wedding mode, rest assured.

There is no option delay the wedding for G-Shocks right
    Just kidding Congrats

The only state created during the Civil War.

Andrew... I agree with you that the important things must come first. However, you still deserve to keep some money for yourself. Those of us in the states call that an allowance. It doesn't have to be a large sum. That is what I do. I have pretty much depleted my collection to the point where I now have seven in my collection. At one time I had around 30+. My wife lost her job last fall which is the reason for the small number today. For the longest time, instead of buying I would trade for a new to me piece. The allowance helps if and when the one I must have pops up. If not I just keep saving. I hope this helps.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information