Buying a G-Shock that isn't working
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crater

Thread: Buying a G-Shock that isn't working

Buying a G-Shock that isn't working

So I was browsing eBay for used G-Shocks last night, hoping to come upon a great deal. And I see this set of three Casio watches, one of which is a GW-5600J, none of which are working. The price is pretty low, so I think I'm going to try to win it (I hope none of you are bidding on it!!), assuming I can get the set for around $25.

I'm thinking that the chances the GW-5600J simply ran out of juice are pretty good. And worst case scenario, maybe it needs a new solar battery, which doesn't seem to be all that expensive. I also kind of like to tinker, so even if I can't get it working, I can play with it a bit, and that would be fun, and worth something like $25 all by itself.

What do you guys think the chances are that something more serious could be wrong? What have your experiences been with buying G-Shocks that aren't working?
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

LUW

Re: Buying a G-Shock that isn't working

More then probably it's just a dead battery; Gs are notoriously trouble-free watches.
    But, the operating word is probably, not certainly, so as long as $25 bucks isn't a huge amount for you you'll be ok.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

lvt

A G-shock rarely breaks, but when it breaks, it's not repairable.

For a $25 deal I think it's practically a win-win for you, even if it's broken you will get a couple of parts that cost significantly at retail.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    More then probably it's just a dead battery; Gs are notoriously trouble-free watches.
    But, the operating word is probably, not certainly, so as long as $25 bucks isn't a huge amount for you you'll be ok.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. Thanks for your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    A G-shock rarely breaks, but when it breaks, it's not repairable.

For a $25 deal I think it's practically a win-win for you, even if it's broken you will get a couple of parts that cost significantly at retail.
    That's a good thought too, I hadn't considered the value of the parts. Physically, everything looks to be in pretty good condition, so the parts should be worth something. Thanks!
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

I would rather buy non working g-shock in good/mint condition then working g-shock with scratches and dents

Hopefully the 5600j is just without power and few days on the window shelf will bring it back to life. I would defenetly go for it, $25 sounds like amazing deal if you win.
    jbg7474 likes this.

were you able to see the batch number on the 5600, so as to know when it was made? as everyone already stated, if its in good shape its definately worth $25 just in parts. gw 5600j has many unique, harder to find parts.
    I'd go for it at the right price.

I can't read the batch number in the pictures, just not enough resolution. Ah, bummer, it's gone up a bit more than I want to pay. This was way undervalued, so I guess that makes sense. Oh well. I'll look for more though!!

Thread Information