buying IN Japan ... how much can be saved? Dealers in Osaka area?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: buying IN Japan ... how much can be saved? Dealers in Osaka area?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

buying IN Japan ... how much can be saved? Dealers in Osaka area?

As a fairly new collector have the opportunity to send my brother around town in Osaka in a few weeks. I wonder how much could probably be saved in buying directly in Japan. Anyone can share some info/experience?
    Lets take a standard GA-120 or similar. Prices go somewhere around 100 Euro here in german stores. How much can one expect to pay in Japan?

Might have been asked before, but a search only revealed threads about where to go for best online shopping from Japan.

Cheers and thank you all again for running this community and making it great!

Chris

Re: buying IN Japan ... how much can be saved? Dealers in Osaka area?

I don't think you will save big time there. It will probably even out with Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by gotshocked View Post
    Might have been asked before, but a search only revealed threads about where to go for best online shopping from Japan.
    If you put "site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 shopping in japan" into Google, minus the " marks, you'll find several threads on actually shopping for G's IN Japan!

One thread (from 2006) claims that some of the "export" models that are usually shipped to the US and Europe cost less in Japan: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/sho...apan-9590.html

...but from most of the threads I've skimmed in the past (since I'll probably never actually go there myself) the attraction seems to be about the incredible selection of almost every G imaginable, and not lower prices.
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You are very unlikely to find any rare items, or bargains in any authorised places or high street retails, even with tax deductions. Some of my friends shopped in Japan very often, and their experiences were that you need to visit outlets for bargains, and small collector's shops for rare items. For example, you won't see any Frogmans in any high street retailers except the most common current models. You may also look into pawn shops which sometimes carry some rare items in very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by macbrush View Post
    You are very unlikely to find any rare items, or bargains in any authorised places or high street retails, even with tax deductions. Some of my friends shopped in Japan very often, and their experiences were that you need to visit outlets for bargains, and small collector's shops for rare items. For example, you won't see any Frogmans in any high street retailers except the most common current models. You may also look into pawn shops which sometimes carry some rare items in very reasonable price.
    Im not necessarily after rare items. Its merely about saving. Since Im a newly G-infected I cant stop looking for sources and compare prices. I gave Rakuten a look. Never heard of it before my new addiction. A GW-A1100 2AJF can be obtained for up to a 100 Euros less (incl. customs tax). So maybe my brother might find it below MSRP.
    Well see. Anyway ... to see the vast variety of Gs one has to go there.

europe is pretty much like here, local retail is a bit ridic. so comparatively buying in jp will be a bit cheaper, it is however not as cheap as buying on line. tho if youre not after anything rare or vintage and are just wanting something from the last couple years at a better price, alot of the larger stores have plenty of sales. couple that with duty free/ex tax savings by whipping out your passport you might be able to get some pretty good deals along with being able to try before you buy.

in osaka specifically, i recommend your first stop be yodobashi umeda. its a couple min walk from osaka and umeda stations which youll no doubt be heading through. at the very least youll be wowed by seeing almost every new release in every colour in the same store ;)

older/rarer models its a bit of pot luck but you might get lucky sifting through the smaller stores around namba (den den town - some electronics stores here might be a little cheaper than "in the city") and the shinsaibashi malls and im not just talking about watch specific stores. its the little stores that sell a mixture of stuff, sometimes its fashion other times in electronics (or both) you just have to keep an eye out for the little glass display cases and hopefully a logo!

hope that helps a bit, happy hunting
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

No deals in Japan. I shopped in Akihabara District in Tokyo and prices were higher than here in the US!

If your brother will be in Japan more than a few days he can order a watch online to his address in Japan. In fact, you can do that yourself. You will save a shiping costs + 19% VAT that way (and you will be able to order from the Amazon Japan, which doesn't deliver to EU). Or, alternatively, if your brother already knows where he will stay in Japan, you can perhaps order now to that address and arrange that the watch will wait for him to pick it up.

I think Im going for the Amazon Japan option. If I think about it ... I could do it all the time like this. Hes going to visit the in-laws there. An adress available all the time hehe. Why didnt I thought about the before??
    The only thing thats left to be figured out: which version of the GW-A1100 do I want. I think Im going for the blue 2AJF. Altough the green version delivers a bit more understatement. But as a newly infected G-collector I find it satisfying to have a Japan version in my collection. Lately the black Gulfman caught my attention and even the white version is very very appealing. Although I sold a simple white GA-110 already, because Im not the type for white watches.
    Meanwhile the thought of getting a GWP RAF edition for about 900 Euro still runs around in my head.

I found the best place in Tokyo is a store called TAKEYA. They sell real watches, not fakes, and the difference in price is about 10-15% lower than any other store.

If you can find TAKEYA in Osaka, halleluyah. I am not sure if they have one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information