Buying My First Gshock
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Buying My First Gshock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Buying My First Gshock

Hey everyone,

After some deliberation, I've decided I want a digital watch again. And since you guys seem to be the authority on Gshocks, I've come to you for some suggestions.

I've had analogs for many years now, and a while back, I had a cheap digital watch, but I lost it. The primary reason I want a digital watch is as a field watch. I do photography and may do video production in the future and who knows what else. I want something tough as nails, and I know Gshocks are known for their robust designs. Here's what I'm looking for.

• Black - I like low key designs, might be willing to compromise on a dark gray, will also allow me to wear in at least semi-formal environments if necessary

• Negative display - Looks cool and still readable, keeps obnoxious illumination at bay

• Buttons don't push too easily - My current watch has an oversized crown that gets pulled out frequently, and my last digital sometimes triggered incidentally. I don't want them to be too hard either though, something in between, if possible

• Always see the time - Regardless what mode it's on

• Solar - I heard the batteries last practically forever, but if a regular one lasts a significant time, I may be willing to forgo this

• Atomic - This would be nice, as I saw the specs say ±15 secs/month, which means keeping accuracy requires lots of manual syncing, unless I missed one that is more accurate than this or actually runs on cold fusion

I prefer to keep the price near $200 at the most. Depending on suggestions, I might be willing to go a little more.

My wrist is about 7-7 1/2'' (17.8-19 cm for you metric folks). It's not an accurate measurement, cause I don't have the proper tape, but should be within range. My current watch, measures about 2 in (5 cm)across from left side to crown, and sits about a half inch (1.3 cm) high on my wrist, if you think that will help.

Oh, also I don't want to start amassing Gshocks. I don't have that kind of money. I just want one, and only one great functioning watch. I'm not looking to build a collection here. I just want one that is functional, looks good, and will last.

Thanks to anyone who offers their help.

Re: Buying My First Gshock

Last edited by kandyredcoi; November 17th, 2012 at 07:14.
    arkiroms and Ol'DaidEye like this.
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

There is also the garish black Riseman G/GW-9200. Here is mine:

RadicalDreamer and Ol'DaidEye like this.
    My Collection
    Citizen: Skyhawk Blue Angels Edition
    Nixon: 51-30 Chrono
    G-Shock: DW-6900 x3, DW-6930 (Basel) x1,G-001 x1, GA-100 x2, GA-110 x16 (2 Collabs: Maharishi & Eric Haze), GD-350 x2, GDF-100 x1, GD-X6900 x2, GR-7900 x1, GW-5510 x1, GX56 x2, Riseman G-9200 x2, Mudman G-9300 x2, G-9330 (Rising Red) x1, GW-9330 (Initial Blue) x1, Frogman GF-1000 x1, Gravity Defier GW-A1000 x2, GW-A1100 x1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^white letters always catches me off guard on a "stealthy" model, that one looks especially white ;)
    Last edited by kandyredcoi; November 17th, 2012 at 07:57.
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

If you're willing to forgo solar and atomic I'd suggest the dw5600ms. I think its the only square (hence low profle) G with negative display that lets you see the time in all modes.

Happy shopping.
    Ghobbit

Buying My First Gshock

The mudman might be another choice as well

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353175903.893190.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  131.1 KB
    RadicalDreamer likes this.

Thumbs Up Re: Buying My First Gshock

Quote Originally Posted by derr1ck View Post
    The mudman might be another choice as well

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353175903.893190.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  131.1 KB
    Wow, I really like the look of that one. Is that a compass on it? That might actually be a useful feature. Is there a negative version as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jun0 View Post
    There is also the garish black Riseman G/GW-9200. Here is mine:

That watch is quite the looker. I just wish it didn't have the white text. Also, does that sensor get in the way at all? It looks like it might rub against the back of my hand at times, like the crown does on my current watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghobbit View Post
    If you're willing to forgo solar and atomic I'd suggest the dw5600ms. I think its the only square (hence low profle) G with negative display that lets you see the time in all modes.
    Well how long does a regular battery last. Is it right around 5 years, like Casio claims, or is it longer or shorter than that on average? I've heard the solar versions last 10+ years, and I don't plan on being in a cave or underground bunker. However, I do like the low-key military look, but the display looks pretty dim. Is it easy to read? Low-profile isn't that big of a deal to me, as my current watch sits pretty high.
    Last edited by RadicalDreamer; November 17th, 2012 at 19:50.

Buying My First Gshock

Yupz.... Tatz a compass n thermo reader as well, if you like all black with negative displays, this suit you even better...but with slight gold on the compass... And the buttons are not easily accidently pressed

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353178595.070557.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  115.8 KB
    Last edited by derr1ck; November 17th, 2012 at 19:59.
    RadicalDreamer likes this.

Thumbs Up Re: Buying My First Gshock

Hmm, we might have a winner here. How is the gold? Does anyone know if it's ostentatious? I might have to see for myself. How would a thermometer work on a watch? Wouldn't your body heat throw it off?

I noticed you got this image and the other one from Amazon Japan...stuff from Japan is usually expensive. Not sure if this would be over my original budget.

Thank you all for your help so far. I really appreciate it. I had no idea there were so many choices.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer View Post
    Hmm, we might have a winner here. How is the gold? Does anyone know if it's ostentatious? I might have to see for myself. How would a thermometer work on a watch? Wouldn't your body heat throw it off?

I noticed you got this image and the other one from Amazon Japan...stuff from Japan is usually expensive. Not sure if this would be over my original budget.

Thank you all for your help so far. I really appreciate it. I had no idea there were so many choices.
    Yes, the gold mudman will be way over budget....
    The Riseman will be right at budget.
    The GW7900 will be about half of the budget
    The regular 9300 Mudman will be right at budget BUT does not have negative display
    The 5600 series are the smallest out of the choices posted here. It even may be too small for some.
    The 6900 is very common, and the "standard" G

Me personally, I like either the riseman, mudman, for get the GW7900, and the 6900 for your budget lol

Major TIP: Once you buy your G Shock, never come back again! Before you know it, your paycheck will go towards new watches.... you will not be able to explain it to your friends/girlfriends/parents/sisters/brothers, they will all think you are crazy for having over 40 watches and still are late to everything... plus your wallet will thank you, and you will not be classified as a G-Shock Addict.
    derr1ck likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information