Calling Ocean Gray Gulfman Owners
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Calling Ocean Gray Gulfman Owners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Calling Ocean Gray Gulfman Owners

I'm considering picking up a Ocean Gray Gulfman GW-9125D-8 but because its a jelly and because it is very hard to pick up spare straps and bezels for this (I've not seen anyone selling spares) I'm left a little hesitant on buying one.

I think everyone will agree the watch is stunning:

I know white/clear resins tend to turn yellow over time and usage. Would the Ocean Grey Gulfman be less prone to this because of its colouring?

I like to wear my watches on a regular basis for work and casual wear (I have a separate beater G-shock for exercise/manaul labour etc.). How long after normal wearing will the watch start to yellow? 1 year/2 years??

I know this type of question has been asked allot so I'm hoping ocean grey Gulfman owners would give some real world user feedback
    Last edited by wolfh1045; September 20th, 2009 at 05:10.

Re: Calling Ocean Gray Gulfman Owners

Quote Originally Posted by wolfh1045 View Post
    I know white/clear resins tend to turn yellow over time and usage. Would the Ocean Grey Gulfman be less prone to this because of its colouring?
    Hard to say, but the gray will likely not look so bad with a brown tone. And having the Ocean Gray 5600, I look forward to dressing it in a black bezel/band combo once it comes unbearable and Casio is unable to source spares. IMHO, the color scheme of the OG series goes quite well with standard black parts.

I bought my OGG in January '09 direct from Japan, so far no change in colors or band condition, and I didn't look for spares. Use google here on WUS if you want to find pix I took in January to compare to this one I took 15 minutes ago using only partly clouded natural light.

Konrad.

I'm considering picking up a Ocean Gray Gulfman GW-9125D-8 but because its a jelly and because it is very hard to pick up spare straps and bezels for this (I've not seen anyone selling spares) I'm left a little hesitant on buying one.

I think everyone will agree the watch is stunning:

I like to wear my watches on a regular basis for work and casual wear (I have a separate beater G-shock for exercise/manaul labour etc.). How long after normal wearing will the watch start to yellow? 1 year/2 years??

I know this type of question has been asked allot so I'm hoping ocean grey Gulfman owners would give some real world user feedback

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

-- GK Chesterton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hard to know. I haven't noticed any change yet -- but I don't wear mine that frequently.

FWIW, I have "Men in Smoke" Raysman. The resin is not precisely the same as the "Ocean Gray", but it is pretty close. (I also have a Dolphin & Whale Gulfman with the same resin as the "Men in Smoke" Raysman. The Raysman and the Gulfie have gotten worn every now and then over the past decade or so -- but never all that heavily. I've noticed very little change or discoloration. There's been a bit of white powdery stuff -- which seems to rub right off.

Ocean Gray:

Men in Smoke:

My ocean Grey Gulfman is one of the G's I wear most frequently, I love it and so far no discoloration!

Grey resin will not yellow over time instead they turn greenish which look much nicer then the yellowed clear ones. Here is a grey Raysman that has this nice green patina from Sjors site G-Peopeland:

The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

It's a nice one. You should give Casio a call and see if you can order the spare parts. That should give you some extra peace of mind.

And BTW - The video you embedded is not displaying properly for me. Here you go:

You only copy in the random string of letters and numbers after the equals (=) sign in the URL (not the www.youtube.com/watch?v= part).

i am not all that big of a fan of the gulfman, but man oh man, i almost picked up this beautiful piece in japan. this is a great looking watch and only tempts me more with the atomic/solar functionality.

Thanks guys for the replies you have all helped me make my mind up. The images of Men In Smoke G's have tipped me over the edge on this one. The yellowing is not as noticeable on these as the white jellies. The Ocean Grey Gulfman is my next G

I still want to try and get replacement straps if they are available. As I'm in the UK would Casio UK sell these straps or do I have to source them from Japan?

Cheers Riley I fixed the link :D

Thanks guys for the replies you have all helped me make my mind up. The images of Men In Smoke G's have tipped me over the edge on this one. The yellowing is not as noticeable on these as the white jellies. The Ocean Grey Gulfman is my next G

I still want to try and get replacement straps if they are available. As I'm in the UK would Casio UK sell these straps or do I have to source them from Japan?

Cheers Riley I fixed the link :D

I have never seen any replacement straps or bezels for any model in the Ocean Gray series, its as they do not exist!
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

The only thing that puts me off this watch is the gold stylings. Too bling bling for me. The grey looks great though, and I've nearly bought this watch so many times, but I always manage to step back from the precipice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information