Which camera would you recommend???

Thread: Which camera would you recommend???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Off topic Which camera would you recommend???

Last Tuesday and Wednesday were two days which have changed my life. Firstly, my daughter received her PhD, and the very next day informed us of her intentions to start a family, or adopt a child if necessary. Her formal graduation walk through will not be until this May.

Sooooo, with a graduation and our first grandchild upcoming, and who knows, maybe another watch or two at some point, I'm curious as to your digital camera recommendations, what you currently use, and also perhaps even what's on your wish list.

I've set a tentative price ceiling of $1200. I've shot film since the 60's, so I'm fairly versed in at least the physics of exposure, DOF, etc.

I'm currently considering the Nikon D5100; a mid level, entry level camera since I won't be needing the build quality and extra external controls of the upper tier prosumer or professional bodies.

Here's a link to a product brochure:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/fMZV...0_brochure.pdf
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Re: Which camera would you recommend???

I have a Canon T2i that I purchased with 2 lenses for less than that amount. I think you'd be very happy with that. Or T3i.

Congrats btw!

Canon S100

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2.0 View Post
    I have a Canon T2i that I purchased with 2 lenses for less than that amount. I think you'd be very happy with that. Or T3i.

Congrats btw!
    Your point is well taken since the T3i is pretty much a sister camera. Funny thing, just like my G's, I like 'em subdued and stealth. Why in the heck do they find it necessary to call it a Rebel in the first place, and to make matters worse, plaster it in red on the front of the body? Just a lil' anal retentive quirk of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Lagunatic View Post
    Canon S100
    Superb choice, but I've gotta have the larger sensor of a DSLR.
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I have a Canon 7D, which is great. I think the 600D (T3i?) or 60D will be good cameras for you. I was used to SLR cameras in the 80's and 90's. It was still a big step to my first DSLR (400D).

I have no experience with Nikon. Most experts say there are not much differences in both brand's cameras in the same price classes with dito lenses. I choose Canon, because my first serious camera was a Canon G5.

Cheers,

Sjors

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I´d say canon sx30is, but I stopped the thought when I read "price ceiling of $1200". lol
    Congrats Bob, that are really good news.

Go Team Bravus!!

I've got the Nikon D5000 with a twin lens kit. It's tops. Get it. Not much between it and the Canon. Little trade-off for either.

I'm a complete camera newb. But I have been interested in getting a new/better camera the last few months. And the one camera that most of my friends who are camera enthusiasts and who also own SLR's consistently recommend the Cannon Powershot G12. Shoots HD video as well. One of my friends grabs that one most times overs his SLR, since its easier to carrier, a bit more compact and lighter.

For roughly that amount, I'd recommend a dslr body + either the 17-50 f/2.8 os from Sigma or the 17-50 f/2.8 vc or non-vc from Tamron. The body you can get either the Nikon D5100 or Canon 550D/600D coz those lenses come in both mounts. I'm shooting with a 60D + Tamron 17-50 vc and considering an upgrade to the sharper Sigma. The canon 17-55 f/2.8 is also on my wish list.

Nikon D7000 would be my suggestion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information