can cloth straps be dyed?

Thread: can cloth straps be dyed?

can cloth straps be dyed?

I just won this:

and, you guessed it, I wanna dye it. I'm thinking blue (like BLUE! not anavy blue like the Gulfman) and leave the white buttons and accents. But that strap looks pretty manky and I'd like to dye that blue also. Will it take the dye like the resin or will it take more/less time? What about the plastic buckle? That can stay white, but I don't think there's any way to remove it without cutting the strap, so it's going to go into the drink regardless.

If nobody knows, then... we'll call this an experiment

Suspended

Re: can cloth straps be dyed?

I assumed the material was nylon and just googled dye nylon and found some good stuff. I think you will need a different dye than RIT called an acid dye to give the truest color.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/nylon.shtml

Polyester seems to be a different story. Here's a link from the same site listing all synthetics.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/faq_synthetic.shtml
    Last edited by nhoJ; October 6th, 2009 at 18:29.

Elsewhere on the same site, it says that RIT dye is a combination of acid and direct dye, and so can work on nylon to an extent. I still don't know how it differs from resin, as far as dye absorbtion goes, but at least it's doable with readily-available stuff. If nothing else, it will just take a longer dip to get the acid dye component of the RIT to do its stuff.

Also, the G-shock isn't really going to get laundered, and my previous dye project took a long dip in the ocean last weekend with no visible fading (though I don't know if the resin just holds dye better than nylon). So... now it's an experiment with better educated guesses

edit: I just realized that if this whole thing ends in tears, I can just throw a 24mm Zulu on there and call it a day :D
    Last edited by SquishyPanda; October 6th, 2009 at 19:50.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would dye the band first, and let it dry completely and then wash it in salty water and vinegar to leach out any dye that would come out quickly when exposed to sweat. That will give you a final color on the band to shoot for when you dye the rest.

Thread Information