Can I take apart and rit dye a 7900a-7?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can I take apart and rit dye a 7900a-7?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I take apart and rit dye a 7900a-7?

Hey all,

Title pretty much sums it up. I'm wanting to rit dye my white 7900 gshock and am wondering how to take the bezel off or if I should just plunk the whole thing (excluding straps) into the dye water? I want to do a light to medium grey, that will mimick the blue and grey frogman that's out there. I've already purchased the blue straps. Will the grey dye "hurt" the blue buttons or face of the watch at all? What's the best way to go about this process? I could always let the water cool back down too since I know the dye will still work and I shouldn't drop a G into boiling water.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Harrison

Re: Can I take apart and rit dye a 7900a-7?

You will want to remove the bezel, for sure. Basically you're going to undo the screws around trhe corners (should be the ones holding the "wings" on) and then start with one side, from the back/bottom, you want to separate the bezel from the case, and lift over the buttons, then free the two buttons on the other side, putting it back together is the same process in reverse. This way you don't run the risk of dying anything else! :D

Quote Originally Posted by spyderHS08 View Post
    Hey all,

Title pretty much sums it up. I'm wanting to rit dye my white 7900 gshock and am wondering how to take the bezel off or if I should just plunk the whole thing (excluding straps) into the dye water? I want to do a light to medium grey, that will mimick the blue and grey frogman that's out there. I've already purchased the blue straps. Will the grey dye "hurt" the blue buttons or face of the watch at all? What's the best way to go about this process? I could always let the water cool back down too since I know the dye will still work and I shouldn't drop a G into boiling water.

Any help is appreciated!!
    There are easily dozens of threads around here on the subject: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Here is one of the best and/or most famous ones from the "Tutorials" section: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ing-86046.html

Yes, you should take the bezel off to dye it. TRSCP already covered the basics; each of those threads will probably cover it again. The shortest version is "remove the screws holding the bezel in place, gently pry the flexible bezel up and over the buttons on one side of the watch with a thumbnail, and it should easily come off the other side."

Dye WILL always work at a cooler temperature, but Rit Dye is designed primarily to work on fabric. If you really want the dye to penetrate Casio's resin it's usually a matter of "the hotter the better." (The only exception to that rule is on strap KEEPERS, which are made from a different sort of resin.) There are easily a dozen threads around here with titles like "first dyeing attempt -- what went wrong?" and one of the answers is usually "was the water boiling or simmering or at least close? No? Well, that's one of the problems!"

Use extremely HOT dye, and make sure that you read the directions since another problem is often "used too much water." Rit's website shows most colors using a tablespoon or more of dye per cup of water, which means that the average package of powdered dye will only make one small saucepan half full of dye. If you have a choice, make sure to go with Rit Powder instead of Rit Liquid -- the powder is usually less expensive and people have had better results with it.

Since you're aiming for "light to medium gray" you'll probably need a little bit of luck. See this thread in particular for how (or why) your white bezel may go into a pot of Pearl Gray (or diluted Black) dye and come out as "gray with a definite _____ tint," which will require another dye job in a complementary color. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/fir...ed-885653.html (If you wind up with reddish-purple tones, you'll need to add some green to the mix, for instance.)

There are a TON of other useful tips in those other threads, so try to look at a few of them. Some of the chemicals used in dyes are bad for human consumption, and you'll probably never get the pot sparkling clean again, so be prepared to dispose of or relegate that pot and/or cooking utensils to ONLY dyeing duties, not cooking in the future. Some people are more sensitive to the SMELLS of the chemicals in the dye than others: many of us are quite happy just using the stove's exhaust fan, while other people tried dyeing once indoors and now will ONLY do it over a camp stove or outdoor grill.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
    JohnQFord likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Last edited by G-fob; May 25th, 2015 at 04:27.
    TRSCP likes this.

Thanks guys!! Does anyone have any pics handy of a white non shiny resin Gshock dyed grey? still deciding if I want to attempt this..Don't want it to turn out black and I don't want to ruin it or make it splotchy lol. Just wish grey was a pre mixed color.....

Did you look at the third link in my reply above? There are pictures there of at least two different "white bezels dyed different shades of gray."

And Pearl Gray IS a pre-mixed color, but these colors are generally formulated for fabrics, not plastics and resin.

^and its an ugly grey! lol
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    ^and its an ugly grey! lol
    Yeah, but which one? I see at least four different gray resins in those pictures (and more if you count the blue-gray and green-gray.)

It's also hard to photograph "gray" since any background color affects the color of the object itself, as does the camera flash.

lol I just want frogman grey but don't want to risk it. Ahh the decisions we have to make.....would a white plastic fork be a nice trial and error practice piece or will the dye act different?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderHS08 View Post
    lol I just want frogman grey but don't want to risk it. Ahh the decisions we have to make.....would a white plastic fork be a nice trial and error practice piece or will the dye act different?
    They're COMPLETELY different types of plastic, and the dye will barely penetrate a typical, disposable, white plastic fork, which means the fork will barely be tinted the color of the dye.

I usually use plastic forks for stirring my dye, and for fishing bezels out of the dye-filled saucepan. Unless I've been using a dark, DARK brown or green dye, after I fish the bezel out of the pot and rinse it and the fork under the kitchen faucet, the fork pretty much looks as good as new!
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information