Can I trust this GW-300?

Thread: Can I trust this GW-300?

Can I trust this GW-300?

I just bought a GW-300 that was totally dead. I opened it up and silicone greased the gasket and put it back together and was waiting for a new CTL1616 to come in the mail for it. I assumed the original battery was one of those defective units we've all heard about. Anyway, I toss it in the sun just for fun with the old battery in it, and low and behold it comes to life! Low, medium, and then high, and it took pretty much the time that the manual says it would to reach the levels in direct sunlight. I let it top off for about 4 hours then wore it for about 8 hours and then last night I hit the EL button about 8 times in a row to see if it said recovery ect. and it didn't. Syncs perfectly, seems to be fine in all respects. The previous owner says he's had it for about 7 years or so and it only died in the last few weeks (I'm guessing from dark storage conditions). Does it necessarily hurt or kill the solar cells if they happen to drain all the way down? Is it possible for a CTL1616 this old to still be perfectly fine? I dunno, people always say these things die in a couple years, but if my cell had problems wouldn't the watch go into recovery all the time or not reach high charge ect?
    Last edited by Marlinaholic; July 22nd, 2010 at 17:12.

Re: Can I trust this GW-300?

Just my opinion here.. if I were you, I'd put in the new CTL1616 asap! Other than that, have fun with your new toy..

Wink Re: Can I trust this GW-300?

Hi Marlinaholic,

My experience is that the first generation Tough Solar Waveceptor models do not exactly like dark storing conditions. A fresh CTL1616 should revive your watch. Be carefull with the springs in the case. There is one that is put in place by only the rubber cover.

I was planning to write a special article about a battery change on these models, but I did not yet come to it (photo's were already made about a month ago.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess maybe I should replace that old battery, but like I said, it's working so well I kinda hate to. I've got the new one sitting right here so I guess I could. If it goes bad, will the watch just kinda slowly quit taking charge over a few days or will it suddenly just go completely dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinaholic View Post
    I guess maybe I should replace that old battery, but like I said, it's working so well I kinda hate to. I've got the new one sitting right here so I guess I could. If it goes bad, will the watch just kinda slowly quit taking charge over a few days or will it suddenly just go completely dead?
    It will slowly quit. The classic signs are a fading backlight. With the sometimes troublesome GW-300, the first signs of a problem are usually that it starts to show the 'REC' (recover) message.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I have three of these watches. 2 like the one pictured and a newer one with gold trim. I think I bought the first one about 8 years ago the 2nd about 6. Anyway, the oldest watch could not hold a charge anymore. About 5 years ago I ordered a battery and it sat until today. Oldest watch battery was corroded. Didn't seem to cause any damage so I rotated the battery from the 2nd to the oldest watch and put the new battery in the 2nd watch. All seems good!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Borg51; March 14th, 2013 at 04:36.

Thread Information