Can a LED lightsource charge a solar g-shock?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Can a LED lightsource charge a solar g-shock?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Can a LED lightsource charge a solar g-shock?

My gw6900 has been on "m" ever since i got it a few days ago, i dont think there's something wrong with the watch, it just havent got as much wrist time as it would like

anyway, am i wasting time (and flashlight batteries) by trying to charge it with my LED flashlight?

btw its in the box while being flashed by the led light because i dont want other light sources to ruin my tiny experiment (because science )

on a side note, my solar only g5600e has been on "h" ever since i got it even if it spends most of its time inside the box. Do atomics really suck power?

thanks wus masters.

Re: Can a LED lightsource charge a solar g-shock?

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    My gw6900 has been on "m" ever since i got it a few days ago, i dont think there's something wrong with the watch, it just havent got as much wrist time as it would like

anyway, am i wasting time (and flashlight batteries) by trying to charge it with my LED flashlight?

btw its in the box while being flashed by the led light because i dont want other light sources to ruin my tiny experiment (because science )

on a side note, my solar only g5600e has been on "h" ever since i got it even if it spends most of its time inside the box. Do atomics really suck power?

thanks wus masters.
    A LED is no replacement for the sun. While it can provide some trickle charging which can come handy if your watch is really, really out of power, it generates only about a few hundred lumen of light as against the thousands of lumens that sunlight can provide, even on a mildly cloudly day! A 15-minute charge in the sun would probably charge the watch much to a better extent than 8-10 hours of LED exposure.
    Last edited by kmbijit; January 26th, 2016 at 14:19.
    kcohS-G, Mike K, idkfa and 1 others like this.

Yes, you are. As bbsrailfan said, even a modern LED flashlight "generates only about a few hundred lumen of light as against the thousands of lumens that sunlight can provide, even on a mildly cloudly day! A 15-minute charge in the sun would probably charge the watch much to a better extent than 8-10 hours of LED exposure."

Or to paraphrase The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: ""Even a yellow star," it would say, "is bright. Really bright. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly bright it is. I mean, you may think stadium lights for nighttime football matches are bright, but that's just peanuts to stars. Listen..."

Most homes that have solar panels have several of them, they're measured in square feet, and they use the SUN for power. The solar cell on most Casio watches is only about the size of a fingernail, and while it's only charging a small watch battery, it's designed to use the sun too -- the owner's manuals show how many hours of direct sunlight a watch will need to charge from "low" to "full." Those charts usually show that it takes five times longer for the same charge with sunlight through a window, and ten times as long with a window and a cloudy day. Even if an LED light was as efficient as a cloudy day, do you still want to use hundreds of hours of battery power when you could just put the watch outside for two days?

Your situation has everything to do with your atomic watch not being fully charged and VERY LITTLE to do with the atomic feature.

The manual for the G5600E claims that the watch should last 11 months on a full charge, without exposure to light, if it was still being used normally.

The manual for the GW-5610 claims that the watch should last 10 months under the same conditions -- so while the "receive" feature uses some power, it's certainly not using that much!
    kmbijit, kcohS-G, xevious and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks masters. I think i got busted for the habit of not reading any of the manuals ^_^

anyway, i took it off the flashlight and will just let it hang around the dash of my car for a few days.

Thanks masters. I think i got busted for the habit of not reading any of the manuals ^_^

anyway, i took it off the flashlight and will just let it hang around the dash of my car for a few days.
    This time of year, in the Northern Hemisphere, you'll probably be okay -- but the manual also cautions against car dashboards on sunny days!

Name:  dash.png
Views: 3683
Size:  28.6 KB

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Mike is right. While G-Shocks are robust, and can put up with heat pretty well, they do have their limits and you have to be careful. Another issue is the battery. It could explode or leak... or heat up enough to release caustic fumes that damage module components. If you're in the upper half of the northern hemisphere right now, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The danger is letting a watch bake in the hot summer sun on top of a car dashboard, especially with the windows rolled up.

Btw, I have an Eastward facing window that gets a good bit of sun up through to around 2pm, and for 3/4 of the year, on a full sunny day that window sill can get mighty hot. I've accidentally left a few watches there and found them very warm to the touch after solid exposure to the sun for an hour or two.
    Last edited by xevious; January 26th, 2016 at 23:44.
    GaryK30 likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I don't often bake my solar G-Shocks in the sun to charge them. But when I do, I like to place them in a glass of water to dissipate the heat. Stay charged my friends.
    Rocat likes this.
    EXCALIBUR1

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

I've said it before, and no doubt will say it again, I find the best thing with solar watches is to just leave them out in a room to charge from ambient light.

It's all I ever do with mine, and the ones that can indicate charge all stay on HI / H.

May not be tenable if you've got many - I've got probably around 8 or 9 that are solar - and they just live on a dresser in my bedroom.
    GaryK30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongsky View Post
    I've said it before, and no doubt will say it again, I find the best thing with solar watches is to just leave them out in a room to charge from ambient light.

It's all I ever do with mine, and the ones that can indicate charge all stay on HI / H.

May not be tenable if you've got many - I've got probably around 8 or 9 that are solar - and they just live on a dresser in my bedroom.
    I do basically the same thing. I have a clear-top watch box that holds my solar watches. I just put the whole box in a room that gets strong indirect light through a translucent window blind. If I do this a few times a week, all of my watches will stay on high all the time, and this way none of them ever get hot (or even warm) to the touch.
    Last edited by GaryK30; January 27th, 2016 at 02:01.

LED charging works!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453873940.671156.jpg
Views: 3644
Size:  176.4 KB

Cheers,
    -Kawei-

Sent from Kawei HQ...
    fatehbajwa likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information