Can't find my G-Spot (any advice for a newbie?)

Thread: Can't find my G-Spot (any advice for a newbie?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't find my G-Spot (any advice for a newbie?)

G-Shock vs. Ironman

Well, after owning a couple of Timex Ironmans, and being somewhat disappointed by the poor build quality (especially with the sleek model) I've decided to jump into the G-world.

What I've found during my early research is a loyal, dedicated community, a vast and bewildering array of models and strange prejudice on the part of Casio against countdown timers.

I was hoping for some advice on finding the perfect G-Shock for my present needs: I'll be using it mostly for the gym, and the occasional hike and mountain-biking. I would prefer larger digits, and a countdown timer is essential (over 60 minutes). Browsing the site, I've already seen a watch I'll probably be buying regardless (if I can find it in Canada) , despite the fact that it only has a 60 minute countdown. It's just such a great looking watch and would be almost perfect.

The Ironmans are superb for Lap/Split timing and the countdown/stopwatch features. Can any of the G-shocks match them in these areas?

(If they look as good as the watch above that would obviously be an added bonus! )

Re: Can't find my G-Spot (any advice for a newbie?)

Welcom to the forum!

Glad to have another mountain biker on the forum!

The model on your thread is the GL-7500.I wear a G-7510,which is a nearly similar model (same bezel,different module).The GL-7500 comes with tide graph where as 7510 comes with 30 telememo.Both feature a vibration alarm,which is especially useful when you are swimming,as you can't possibly hear the alarm if you are in the water,but you can feel the vibration.

It's a great watch for swimming,in fact,according to Sjors,the series was intended as a watersport G,namely surfing.:gold

Cheers,
    MountainMike

P.s. Do check out our mountain biking thread,Saturday Mountain Miking (OT Thread).

Rorschach, just a very quick reply...when you check things out to order a G-Shock, do pay attention to the fact that only some specific modules have the option of setting SECOND increments in the countdown feature.

On (most?) you can only set smallest increment in MINUTES, which is not very handy when you want to use it for soft-boiling your (pardon, pardon!) ... for soft-boiling ...chicken eggs.

P.S. The modules are the different types of electronic "insides" made by Casio, they have numbers, and on the basis of the module numbers, you can download from http://world.casio.com/wat/download/en/manual/
    the PDF "user's guide" for that particular module.

And...welcome to the addicting world of G! :gold

You know you're addicted when you see a Salvador Dali model watch in any Rorschach test...
    Last edited by PabloElFlamenco; August 30th, 2006 at 14:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As far as I can tell, the only GL-7500s left with Western European retailers are the blue ones. You might find a red one in Poland or Russia. I think I might have bought the last Western European red one myself (from a French retailer).
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

MountainMike: Telememo? Is that stored phone numbers? (Would be more useful, if not as pretty (for me) than a tide graph.

Is there an option to switch to an audible alarm in either model?

Will check out the mountain biking thread....

PabloElFlamenco: Fortunately, the second countdown is not an essential feature. The need to set a countdown over 60 minutes is (why do Casio often limit this to 60 minutes when they do offer it? Very strange.).

Thanks for the explanation of module numbers. I'm thinking that they're the equivalent of movement numbers on mechanicals....?

tribe125: Of course, the first G-Shock I want would no longer be available! O|

Perhaps ebay will have to be the way? (Although, so far I've only seen the blue ones available, and would much perfer the, no doubt, rarer yellow and red ones...:-D )

Yes. You are right.The Telememo is used to store phone contacts.

Both models do feature audible alarms (4 alarms,1 snooze,3 standard).When in vibration mode,there will be no sound.

Yellow GL-7500 is rare.G-7510 is not available to the US (not shown on Casio's site).If you are interested in the G-7510,there are many Ebay sellers that can send internationally.

Cheers,
    MountainMike
    Attached Images Attached Images

forget it, i have waited and searched for G-Shock that will match the timex ironman for the timing feature and failed

the only watch that came even close was the lungman (which was part of the master series and was long discontinued since). BUT (and a big but!) the lungman still can't match the latest $50 ironman 30-lap shock resistant 200m for the timing feature. the lungman won't show the lap counts in the chronograph mode, and only show lap counts in the recall mode. ironman has all the lap counting info (lap time, total time and lap counts) as well as different countdown timer mode for training purposes.

i am personally using a ironman 100-lap as my running/gym watch and different G-Shocks for everything else. i have to agree that the ironman has a filmsy construction. but the up side of it is that its very light (which is good for a runner), and its jam packed with the timing facture that a runner needs/wants. (try night mode that will light up the indiglo for a couple of sec whenever you hit a button, G-Shock is doing the exact opposite. i.e. turn off the EL whenever you hit a button!)

i would imagine the reason for casio for not making a runner G-Shock would be the weight (there's no way to pack much shock absorbing material and still keep the weight down) and they don't want to ruin the sales for the other casio runner watches line up.

but you know what, i can care less with the weight issue. i don't need to minimize the weight in every single one of my runs. i just want a G-Shock that can match the timing feature of ironman (i don't even care if it has atomic, but tough solar would put that *imaginary* G-Shock one step above the timex ironman with the same features)

until then, i will always have a timex ironman in my collection. and its good that timex is always improving their line of ironman as well (and casio didn't even try catch up with the G-Shock line up)

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92
    forget it, i have waited and searched for G-Shock that will match the timex ironman for the timing feature and failed
    Excuse my ignorance, but in this topic are we talking about the Timer or the Chronograph?

The Lap/Split features I've had on previous IronMan watches were related to the Chronograph, and the Timers I've had Start/Stop, Start/Stop/Auto Repeat, and Start/Stop/Chrono Start.

My other question (yes, this is very subjective) is if one is working out in the Gym, when would you ever need more than a 60 minute timer? For instance, I have been using the 9-Interval timer on my G-056B. I set it up to use the threadmill for 15 minutes, have a break of 5 minutes, then Auto Repeat, etc. I just don't see where I would need more than 60 minute continuos timer when working out.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

Quote Originally Posted by ColdHit
    Excuse my ignorance, but in this topic are we talking about the Timer or the Chronograph?

The Lap/Split features I've had on previous IronMan watches were related to the Chronograph, and the Timers I've had Start/Stop, Start/Stop/Auto Repeat, and Start/Stop/Chrono Start.

My other question (yes, this is very subjective) is if one is working out in the Gym, when would you ever need more than a 60 minute timer? For instance, I have been using the 9-Interval timer on my G-056B. I set it up to use the threadmill for 15 minutes, have a break of 5 minutes, then Auto Repeat, etc. I just don't see where I would need more than 60 minute continuos timer when working out.
    well, i responding to the following in the original post (with my own opinion, preference and experience added :-D ):

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach
    I was hoping for some advice on finding the perfect G-Shock for my present needs: I'll be using it mostly for the gym, and the occasional hike and mountain-biking. I would prefer larger digits, and a countdown timer is essential (over 60 minutes).
    so the chronograph/timer can be used during times other than running/in the gym

i use the more-than-60-min timer, say, when i only have 90 min to work out. so i set my countdown timer to 1.5 hr. then i can just look at the watch and see how much time's left.

another example, if i have a 2 hr parking limit/meter, i would set the countdown timer to 1 hr and 55 min. so by the time that the watch beeps, i have 5 min to run to my car and feed the parking meters/or drive away .. lol

a more-than-60-min timer makes stuff like that easier to manage

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92
    so the chronograph/timer can be used during times other than running/in the gym

i use the more-than-60-min timer, say, when i only have 90 min to work out. so i set my countdown timer to 1.5 hr. then i can just look at the watch and see how much time's left.

another example, if i have a 2 hr parking limit/meter, i would set the countdown timer to 1 hr and 55 min. so by the time that the watch beeps, i have 5 min to run to my car and feed the parking meters/or drive away .. lol

a more-than-60-min timer makes stuff like that easier to manage
    I think Casio does this on purpose so that one is forced to buy different models as well. Just like the 1.000 hour stopwatch on the Mudman. I will definitely never use that. Someone must need it.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information