Can't swap bezel on new model Japanese G-Steel?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Can't swap bezel on new model Japanese G-Steel?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can't swap bezel on new model Japanese G-Steel?

Hi everybody. I bought a black resin bezel from PacParts to change things up a little on my GST-w310D-1ajf mid-size G-Steel. The new bezel is from a GST-w300-1ajf. Pacparts had to get it from Japan so it took a while. It came today and, to my disappointment, it looks as though I won't be able to swap it out.

There's a black piece under the bezel that seems to be secured under the case and thus won't pop out. This prohibits the "tabs" of the replacement bezel from snapping in, I guess. I don't really want to disassemble the entire watch. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I should have taken a better photo while I had it apart, but here you can see the black piece that allows the original, smooth, steel bezel to rest on it. The replacement black bezel will not sit on top of this appropriately. Perhaps the all steel model's bezel assembly is unique among the lineup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by GoldenGrottoSharks; October 10th, 2017 at 23:29.

Re: Can't swap bezel on new model Japanese G-Steel?

I think this ring is glued with double sided tape.

I don't know this model, but I'd also say the ring is most likely just stuck down?

Have you tried to gently lift it to see?

Also, the underside of your black bezel looks designed to fit down into cut outs? It appears to have almost "lugs" at 12, 3, 6 & 9? Does the main body of your watch have these for it to sit down into?

It might just be where the photo is from directly above though.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

anyone else thinking that naked look doesnt look too bad at all?
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

hmm, afaik the resin bezels also have their own resin ring that goes on top of the case.
    in ur case, no pun intended, u did not order that part...

so basically unless u are just changing from resin to resin, or SS to SS...either way u will also need to order the middle resin bezel for whichever u are changing to.

now to remove that middle resin bezel...i have not tried...as i only changed my plain SS to a pvd SS...
    but my guess it is just glued on.
    Last edited by Everdying; October 11th, 2017 at 13:58.
    O_N_E likes this.

Thanks all. I got my hands on a GST-w300-1ajf, removed its bezel and noticed that the it's not the same part PacParts sent me. That is frustrating. Regardless, the actual GST-w300-1ajf bezel won't fit either. I do suspect I'll need to remove that black "middle" ring that my SS bezel fits on top of, but am too nervous to attempt it. I tried pretty hard with my fingernail and it didn't budge. If I botch it, the G Shock is out of commission for a month while I wait on parts that may or may not end up being correct. You have to take their word for it as the newer Japan releases aren't yet on their website.

Do note that the GST-w300-1ajf (black resin bezel) does *not* have this intermediate black ring part that my SS bezel G-Steel does that you see in my original photo. It's as though the bottom of the resin bezel itself incorporates that additional layer.

So nobody makes the same mistake I did, this mystery bezel from PacParts is listed on my invoice with the following info.
    item #: CAS-10546951
    part #: 91087213628

P.S. I do agree that the naked look is cool. The screws stick out too far, though. I also wouldn't mind having a custom SS bezel that's plain brushed all over and has no text.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GaryK30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGrottoSharks View Post
    Thanks all. I got my hands on a GST-w300-1ajf, removed its bezel and noticed that the it's not the same part PacParts sent me. That is frustrating. Regardless, the actual GST-w300-1ajf bezel won't fit either. I do suspect I'll need to remove that black "middle" ring that my SS bezel fits on top of, but am too nervous to attempt it. I tried pretty hard with my fingernail and it didn't budge. If I botch it, the G Shock is out of commission for a month while I wait on parts that may or may not end up being correct. You have to take their word for it as the newer Japan releases aren't yet on their website.

Do note that the GST-w300-1ajf (black resin bezel) does *not* have this intermediate black ring part that my SS bezel G-Steel does that you see in my original photo. It's as though the bottom of the resin bezel itself incorporates that additional layer.

So nobody makes the same mistake I did, this mystery bezel from PacParts is listed on my invoice with the following info.
    item #: CAS-10546951
    part #: 91087213628

P.S. I do agree that the naked look is cool. The screws stick out too far, though. I also wouldn't mind having a custom SS bezel that's plain brushed all over and has no text.
    Dam they are close! Would love to hear if anyone suggest just breaking off the tab on the new replacement one!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Good to see the bezel screws are functional. I just got this one and was curious about that.

Name:  IMG_2660X800.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  86.1 KB
    StephenWatch and WES51 like this.

Must confess to liking this model of watch with it's various options available. Would definitely be on my buying list if it had a second hand though...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...p-4529729.html
    soulbridgemedia likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Must confess to liking this model of watch with it's various options available. Would definitely be on my buying list if it had a second hand though...
    I like a second hand but not having one avoids the disappointment of getting one that's misaligned, esp on a JDM that's a hassle to swap.
    frhoads likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information