Caseback removal tricks
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Caseback removal tricks

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Caseback removal tricks

I have a titanium screwback and I can't for the life of me get the caseback off. I've tried a 2 prong and 3 prong tool with all my strength. I added some 3 in 1 oil, let it sit, tried again no luck. First time I haven't been able to remove a screwback here. Took it to a jeweler, no luck. Was told to invest in a new watch. Real helpful. Took it to another jeweler and the watchmaker will look at it Monday. They think some of the threads might be misaligned.

I really don't think one of those ball things would do anything in this case. I was wondering if heating it or freezing it would make any difference? I was thinking maybe a hammer of some sort to pop the threads in place if they are misaligned as well. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Caseback removal tricks

Well the freezing will need some serious calculation .. Steel contracts One mm per 100 °c change.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Tag Heuer Formula 1 Chronograph (CAH1112.BA0850) | Citizen Navihawk | Movado Bold 3600305 | Seiko SNKM97 | Bulova Skeleton | G-shock G9000 | G-shock G9100 | G-shock g9300 | G-shock ga 110-ts | G-Shock GLX 5600-4 | Casio A168W-1 | Casio AE1200WHD-1A | Casio A158WEA-9CF | Pebble Time

It's titanium. I guess if the watchmaker can't get it off I could try aerosol freeze spray, or more brute force like hammer sand chisel. Without a battery the watch is useless so I'm willing to deal with some dings and scratches on the back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

ok, bare in mind I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet, but I think a common screwback wrench might not provide enough torque to get it to budge. Maybe tr affixing a longer handle to the caseback and giving it a pull. Not sure how exactly to accomplish this. The idea is kinda like loosening the lugs on a tire. if it is stuck and you have a short handle it won't move. Extend the handle and it becomes easier. I'm thinking some kind of metal handle affixed to the caseback with a liberal amount of Crazyglue. then once the back is off use another chemical to deteriorate the Crazy glue. Titanium should hold up to what ever you put on it :)

Superglue a large nut to the case. Use an appropriately sized socket & bar to open case. Remove nut and superglue with acetone.

Interesting approach might have to resort to that. That's gonna be a big bolt! Might have to put the watch in some vice grips as well.

I wonder if putting a few drops of silicone oil around the perimeter of the case back, and allowing it to seep in, might help free up the threads.

Perhaps the problem is "galling."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

I used 3-in-one oil. Maybe I didn't let it sit long enough. Or maybe silicone oil works differently.

Do you have wd-40 in your country? I never had to use it on a caseback, but had some luck with some stubborn nuts and bolts...

BTW vice grips may damage the case.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Maybe you can try it with a piece of copper or aluminum (for not damaging the caseback) with the thickness of 1 millimeter. Then file a slot in to the piece of copper or aluminum that has the width the same as the distance between the 'holes' in the caseback. Hard to say in english,thats why i made a little drawning to make it more understandable.

Name:  Caseback.png
Views: 282
Size:  11.1 KB

This way maybe you can open the caseback.
    Last edited by Jasabor; August 26th, 2017 at 23:26.
    Certified G, Fergfour and brandon\ like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information