Casio 90s Ana-Digi
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Casio 90s Ana-Digi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio 90s Ana-Digi

I am considering a used Casio Ana-Digi from the mid 90s. Picking it up used for sentimental reasons. Listing shows watch to be in great working order. My concern is how long a Casio quartz movement will last (assuming its being protected from the elements and hasn't been worn on any skydiving jumps).

I mean the quartz movement is already 20 yrs old. Is it reasonable to expect itto last another 20 yrs?

Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Casio 90s Ana-Digi

kidk007,

My Casio DW1000 is thirty-five (35) years old. It is the predecessor to the G-Shock. I am the original owner. The quartz movement is humming along just fine. I regulated this watch and it is accurate to ± 1 second/month.

Name:  casio dw1000 + affordable milanese shark mesh - 061616.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  415.2 KB
    StephenWatch and xevious like this.
    EXCALIBUR1

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

I too had an old Casio, DW5200 bought in 1984. Worked perfectly when I sold it a couple of years back - 33 years old!
    EXCALIBUR1 likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    I too had an old Casio, DW5200 bought in 1984. Worked perfectly when I sold it a couple of years back - 33 years old!
    To borrow a phrase from another well-known brand, "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'."
    EXCALIBUR1

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Thx guys...I may pull the trigger and purchase it...in the hopes of getting 10 -15 yrs of use.

Bear in mind that gaskets may be damaged and water resistance could be questionable. Finding new gaskets may be impossible. Also accuracy probably will be considerable worse than a new watch. Good news it that accuracy usually can be corrected. However, if you don't plan to wear it daily all this is irrelevant.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

It's a very good question. It's one thing to get an all digital vintage watch, but older analog/digital could have additional challenges from that analog movement. Still, there are many examples from that era and earlier demonstrated to be working. As long as this watch was well cared for, it should work just fine. I do believe that CASIO has significantly improved the robustness of its analog movements since the 90's. I'd feel more confident with a newer model. But sentimental reasons can take top priority over everything else. If it has special meaning for you then go for it!

BTW, just for edification: Quartz analog movements are mostly "maintenance free", unlike fully mechanical movements. But, quartz analog does have moving parts, which means friction and wear over time. So just remember that the longer the watch is powered, the shorter the lifespan. How long is uncertain... because for watches of this caliber, there's no real manufacturer's expectation for lasting beyond 20~30 years. Why? Because many of these "lesser" quartz analog movements weren't designed for maintenance. Plus, the cost of servicing a troubled vintage quartz analog CASIO would very likely exceed the cost of finding a comparable condition used one. Depends upon the problem. When analog movements wear down, they usually lose time. Lubrication could restore that, for a period. But there's the matter of the "jewel" (synthetic). Trying to replace that in a movement would be prohibitively expensive.

This is all in contrast to more expensive quartz analog movements from higher end brands that design their watches for future servicing/maintenance.

For your vintage CASIO watch, if you find that you're seriously happy with it and want to wear it frequently, then I strongly suggest seeking out another one. You might find a good used example rather cheaply. After verifying that the movement is working fine, take the battery out and keep it for future cannibalizing of the movement. That would be much, much cheaper than trying to fix a troubled vintage movement.
    Last edited by xevious; September 12th, 2017 at 15:40.
    GaryK30 and watchusthappened like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by kidk007 View Post
    Thx guys...I may pull the trigger and purchase it...in the hopes of getting 10 -15 yrs of use.
    Great! You could get even more life out of it. Keep in mind that quartz analog movement is far less sensitive and complicated than full mechanical movements. I take it that this watch isn't a G-Shock, right? When you get a moment, post a photo.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Just never let the battery leaking inside the watch, quickly swap it once it dies. Also if you're going to submerge the watch, make sure all gaskets are fine.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)
    JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

This is the 90s Casio I am referring to. SINN-isque appeal to it while having some sentimental value.

GaryK30 and xevious like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information