Casio Atomic Watch Reception in North America
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Casio Atomic Watch Reception in North America

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Casio Atomic Watch Reception in North America

Several years ago I bought the Casio GW5000-1JF.

I am located in central Mexico, approximately 175 miles northwest of Mexico City.

For most of the years that I have owned this watch it synched 99% of the time by leaving it on a window sill.

Starting in June of 2013 that all changed, and reception of WWVB all but ceased. Now I am lucky if the watch synchronizes once a month.

Has anyone else noticed any change in reception anywhere in North America in the past 5 months?

Does anyone have any advice on this problem?

Re: Casio Atomic Watch Reception in North America

You could have a new local interference...nearby wireless modem, cell tower, some radio frequency interference of some sort.

Ft. Collins seems consistent transmitting.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I agree with YankeeExpress. I suggest going to a different location and try to synchronize. See what level strengths you get (L1, L2, L3). It's quite possible that something is causing interference in your immediate vicinity. This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of this happening.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Has anything in your house or nearby changed during this time?

No issues in the Midwest or East Coast.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Montreal. Canada.
    Perfect sync EVERY watch EVERY night.
    Side Note-- there's what I like to call a "sweet spot" in every house. A spot where for whatever reason... Your watch gets the best signal. Funny thing is, it's not necessarily at a window facing the appropriate geographical direction.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Flawless sync even on my wrist as I sleep on the second floor of a two story about 7 feet from a window and not on an outside wall.

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm from the east coast, New York to be exact and my atomic sync is not consistent. I often check my atomic watches and most of the times most only sync about 1 or 2 times a week. One time I was watching my GW-5000 syncing and the receiving level was intermittent, signal level goes L1 to L3 then L1. Syncing usually takes about 4 to 5 minutes with my watches, is it normal?
    Tedzone likes this.

The only thing that has changed is that we are having a more severe than normal rainy season in Central Mexico. The rainy season usually lasts from June through August. This year it has extended from May and is still going on. I would say the volume of rain is 6 fold over any of the previous 10 years.

I think that it could be local weather patterns that are the cause.

I had already known the sweet spot in my house, and that was the window sill I had mentioned in my initial post.

Since posting initially I tried putting the watch on the roof of my house. That did not work. A watched it for a couple minutes on the roof on a manual receive and the reception level never went above L1.

One night I did a manual receive at 5:30 AM, about 3 weeks ago, and I watched the level meter bounce back and forth between L2 and L3. That night I did receive successfully. That was my last successful receive.

As far as receive levels go, it is almost always L1 whenever I check it. In the past in other years it was almost always a steady L3 whenever I checked it.

I guess I will keep waiting for the rainy season to subside. I will post back here then, or if there are any changes in my reception success.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedzone View Post
    Montreal. Canada.
    Perfect sync EVERY watch EVERY night.
    Side Note-- there's what I like to call a "sweet spot" in every house. A spot where for whatever reason... Your watch gets the best signal. Funny thing is, it's not necessarily at a window facing the appropriate geographical direction.
    I'm in ste-rose,sync every other night always on the 04.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information