Casio "Aviators" - Help Needed Please
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Casio "Aviators" - Help Needed Please

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Casio "Aviators" - Help Needed Please

Hi all,
    I do a bit of contract flying and one of the most important functions of a watch (to me, at least), is having a dedicated GMT/UTC subdial. We file our own flight plans and make position reports, ETA's, ETD's, etc in UTC. + the half hour timezone is important.
    I've used my trusty titanium Skyhawk (0010-50E) which served me well, but it hasn't taken a beating well. So scratched and dinged up, the bezel has fallen off, crystal has been cracked, displays have gone blank, seconds hand has frozen , etc.
    I really like the PMV65-2271, but it is far too expensive and no matter what they are advertised as, will not last in harsh/trying conditions.

Hence, enter the G-Shocks : GW-A1000 and the GA-1000.
    To me, the GA is infinitely more usability for an actual pilot than does the GW-A, yes?
    On the former, you cannot view UTC or any other function without losing the current time? And do you have to keep fiddling with the crown (like the Skyhawks..quite a pain in reality) to change modes, rather than a simple button push on the GA?
    Also, how much of a "lack" is the absence of a tough movement or the solar function?

lvt

Re: Casio "Aviators" - Help Needed Please

I think a digital with multi-lines display will be your best tool watch, analog watches make good nostalgia but they are not as pratical as their digital counterparts, isn't it true that today's aircrafts have glass cockpit and fly-by-wire control system ?
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

That's a point..but I do like having the analog bit.
    On the 2nd point, they do..but a UTC subdial comes into it's own when we sometimes visit the places we do. More for planning purposes. Is it a necessity? No. But nice to have instead of counting UTC up or down on your fingers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

ap10046,

Does it have to be necessarily an analog watch? I agree with lvt that a full digital watch might be the better choice if maximum functionality comes first, although nothing beats an anlog for telling quickly the time, especially when things get a little shaky...

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Hi Cal,
    No it doesn't have to be analog at all..its just that "I Want" thing....

Also, can anyone clarify if the GW-A can 1 button push swith to UTC? Doesn't the RAF version have a Z on the bottom right pusher? Would this suggest a 1 push Zulu?
    I've seen this mentioned numerous times but would like a clarification.

LUW

You should get the 7710. Though it's full digital it has three time zones on the display without you needing to fidget with it.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

For me, doing intercont flights all the time, i find the GW3500 good for ana/ digi simultaneous view. It lacks am/ pm indi tho, so sometimes its more convenient to go fully digital for a quicker read. I want the day and date to be displayed 24/7, so i tend to use my PRW-2500 more and more because of these reasons. Being away from home with up to 12hrs timezone diff, i really dont wanna have to press some buttons to find out if its day or night when i wake up in a dark hotelroom somewhere. This might sound kinda silly to most people, but it is annoying when you travel a lot for a living.

Also, the PRW have moonphase and baro tendencies. Baro info mostly used during layovers for outdoor avtivities planning, and moonphase used when planning nightflights (will we be able to see the top of clouds in the moonlight, or will it be pitch black, having to rely on the weatherradar only?).

Also just loves the atomic and solar. Worryfree usage is the keyword for me. Backlight is really handy aswell.
    The compass also comes in handy during layovers. I use it more than i thought i would.

So, its basically a layover watch. When on the flightdeck, i have all info avbl to me from other sources. Always make me wonder what pilots do with their "pilotwatches" when flying. Timers, conversionbezels and such might maybe be useful for bushflying or similar, but for airline flying there is no need at all, other than maybe the esthetical factor.

Just my five cents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

lvt likes this.
    • Breitling Superocean Heritage 42, Rolex Sub 114060, Rolex DJII 116300, Omega Speedy Day/ Date, Sinn 6060, PAM 312, SeaGull Diver, Ball EMII Worldtime Diver, Casio G-Shock GW3500, Protrek PRW-2500

and growing...

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post
    Also, can anyone clarify if the GW-A can 1 button push swith to UTC? Doesn't the RAF version have a Z on the bottom right pusher? Would this suggest a 1 push Zulu?
    I've seen this mentioned numerous times but would like a clarification.

Z means zulu time, that's correct, but I remember from a review article, the button only works after you entered the world time mode then you press the button for a couple of second to see the zulu time, it doesn't give you a quick direct access to zulu time.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Z means zulu time, that's correct, but I remember from a review article, the button only works after you entered the world time mode then you press the button for a couple of second to see the zulu time, it doesn't give you a quick direct access to zulu time.
    You can switch quickly to UTC with one press of the mode button if you just have your world time set to UTC. You can quick switch back to normal timekeeping by holding the mode button, which works in every mode.

The zulu button works in world time mode as a 'quick reset to UTC' if you were set to a different time zone without you having to fiddle with the crown.

Whilst these features work pretty quickly and the crown is pretty intuitive to use on these smart access models compared to other analogue watches, an ana-digi or all digital would still be able to display info faster :)

Sent from the 'droid.
    ElectricDan and Chrisek like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information