Casio blurb on Bluetooth Low Energy prototype

Thread: Casio blurb on Bluetooth Low Energy prototype

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Casio blurb on Bluetooth Low Energy prototype

CASIO DEVELOPS WATCH THAT COMMUNICATES WITH SMARTPHONES VIA BLUETOOTH® LOW ENERGY LINK

Prototype Features the Latest Wireless Technology with Very Low Power Consumption

LAS VEGAS, JANUARY 5, 2011 - Casio Computer Co., Ltd., announced today that it has developed a watch using Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) technology, the new low-power-consumption version of the short-range wireless networking standard*. A prototype of the watch, sharing a two-way data link with a smartphone, will be exhibited at Casio's booth (#11006) at the International Consumer Electronics Show to be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center from January 6-9, 2011.

Casio has been redefining the wristwatch for years by applying the latest technologies. Now, Casio's application of BLE positions the company to create new possibilities for the way people use their watches. Taking advantage of the low power consumption of BLE, the new watch powers wireless communication functions with a single, ordinary button-cell battery, and without consuming any more battery life than a conventional wristwatch. Users can wear it every day just like they normally do, without the hassle of recharging which is required by typical mobile devices. Battery life is estimated at approximately two years based on the prototype model, assuming that the Bluetooth wireless communication function is used for 12 hours per day.

Casio's new prototype communicates with BLE-equipped smartphones, which will be available in the near future and will connect to networks of various kinds of devices. As the wireless link between smartphones and watches gains in adoption, and as the universe of smartphone applications continues to grow, Casio expects to see new possibilities for watches in everyday life.

Casio aims to produce its first Bluetooth Low Energy Watch in 2011. Meanwhile, Casio will call for partner companies to develop applications compatible with smartphones and other household devices in such areas as sports, health, home entertainment, security, and communication with family and friends.

Overview of Casio's Prototype Bluetooth Low Energy Watch
    Main features:
    • Wireless communication is powered by the button-cell battery used in small devices and watches
    • Battery life with the communication functions is the same as previously released watches
    • The watch case measures a comfortable 53.4 (D) x 44.4 (W) x 12.8 (T) millimeters
    Main functions:
    • The alert signal notifies the wearer of calls and e-mail messages arriving on the networked smartphone
    • Alarm and vibration functions of a smartphone can be activated using a watch button
    • A smartphone's ring and vibration alerts can be stopped by tapping the watch
    • Accurate time information can be transmitted from a smartphone to the watch to ensure correct time

Casio's demonstration of the Bluetooth Low Energy Watch uses a prototype of a Bluetooth Low Energy smartphone. The demonstration will be conducted at Casio's Booth (#11006) at 2011 International CES, in cooperation with NEC Casio Mobile Communications.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Re: Casio blurb on Bluetooth Low Energy prototype

That's pretty neat. Reading a text/e-mail on the watch while the phone's in the pocket or backpack/purse would be one useful function to start.

I've yet to manage to connect one Bluetooth device with another. Haven't tried that hard though - one failure and I've usually given up.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It does work*, but I've always been put off because, for example, a bluetooth headset for the car needs charging every couple of days. I'm prepared to charge my main portable device - the phone - every night, but adding something else to that mental list exceeds my brainpower, it appears.

So if they can make this device work for 2 years due to the low energy standard revision, it could be good.

*I went through a phase of hacking into other people's phones on the tube to pass the time. Much easier than you would hope.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

There was an article elsewhere stating Casio were planning on releasing this feature in a g-shock this year and then progress into more from there.

Being able to go running with my phone, which I use as my mp3 player, in my rucksack or a pocket and change tracks by pressing a button on my watch would be seriously good. Add wireless headphones (if anyone can reccomend any pm me) and Id be one happy bunny.

Semi-related; Again I voice my vote for being able to change the tv channel from a g-shock too!!
    ONLY EVER OWNED G-SHOCKS...

Awesome news! I think Casio is trying to recapture their market share lost due to a large share of the cell phone users not wearing watches anymore these days. Great idea for Casio! I think if applied properly it would do wonders for current non watch wearers. Plus it will also eliminate the need for all those atomic syncs. Just sync to the phone and get the most accurate time all the time. How cool is that? I say brilliant!
    Last edited by watch_tech; January 5th, 2011 at 20:48.

That fella looks like it could do with a bezel.
    When the Going Gets Tough... Get a G-Shock!

Prototype bluetooth watch

found this from the Press Release,

LAS VEGAS, JANUARY 5, 2011 — Casio Computer Co., Ltd., announced today that it has developed a watch using Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) technology, the new low-power-consumption version of the short-range wireless networking standard. A prototype of the watch, sharing a two-way data link with a smartphone, will be exhibited at Casio’s booth (#11006) at the International Consumer Electronics Show to be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center from January 6-9, 2011.
    http://www.casio.com/news/content/D0...-5B8B40606043/
    http://www.casio.co.jp/release/2011/0106_ble-watch/

image from casio.co.jp
    Last edited by kmpn; January 6th, 2011 at 07:21.

Re: Prototype bluetooth watch

Looks like the Silencer.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Re: Prototype bluetooth watch

Yep - we have some discussion here as well.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...pe-489748.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information