Casio could rule if they tried!

Thread: Casio could rule if they tried!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Casio could rule if they tried!

Casio has really let their enthusiasts down by not having more watches with the countdown timer. They stopped production (at least in the US) of two of their best watches. The 100M basic digital and 200M basic digital (Heavy Duty model). Those were basically the best Casio's I ever used to buy.

They completely let Timex step all over them, since the Ironman and Expedition digitals all come with the countdown timer. This is the one feature that makes it or breaks it for a lot of watch buyers.

The last few days I've been wearing some of my newer Casio models (50M and 100M models). The problem is, none of them have the countdown timer. But I felt like "poser" compared to years past when the watches had all the necessary features. So, today I ended up wearing an Ironman. ONLY for the CDT feature!

That's really sad! When is Casio going to get on the ball? There are a few good GShocks with this feature but most people don't like the large size of GShocks, and I feel like the "big watch" trend is turning around.

Casio could rule.
    ShockMister

Re: Casio could rule if they tried!

I think they are doing just fine.

No offense but sounds to me like you really like your CDT... thats one person. Yeah, its a great feature. But I would hardly say that the lack of a CDT on some models will be the demise of Casio.

Does anyone have the market data? are there more Gs or Timex out there? My perception is that there are more Gs. I sure see more of them than Timex.

But then again its apples and oranges. Timex has the sports market (Best running watches out there IMHO). G Shock has the "tough" market (toughest watches made IMHO).

At the end of the day, I think the % of people that really put this much thought into watches and functions is VERY small. Most people buy what looks cool to them. OR dont wear a watch at all.

We watch collectors are such a small minority I sometimes think we all over think this stuff too much.

Again, just my .03

:)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    I think they are doing just fine.

No offense but sounds to me like you really like your CDT... thats one person. Yeah, its a great feature. But I would hardly say that the lack of a CDT on some models will be the demise of Casio.
    Hear hear... I'm sure most of us G-Shock lovers place a lot more value on looks than CDT. Did I buy my G-Shocks because they have countdown timers? No. Did I buy them because they look totally mother flippin' awesome? Oh yes
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I had the same feeling about the CDT until I got a watch with just the time memo feature. For me, it helps with work. I deal with GPS mapping and it allows me to time memo events when I'm stuck in traffic with pinpoint accuracy since mine is also atomic!

Partly it's branding Im sure. A 200m watch with decent CDT might impact G-Shock sales. Some consumers will only see 200m and think they're the same thing.

Partly its market positioning as has been mentioned.

Regardless of any big-watch craze, Gs will mostly sell as lifestyle and fashion choices.
    We bought them when fashion was for big, we bought them when fashion was for small. We STILL buy them even when fashion is for no watch!

I would also have to say that the 5600 series arent exactly tanks - they're really quite compact in G-Shock terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post

:)
    I second that. My DW-9051 doesn't have a CDT function, but I never really noticed (nor cared), since I found the telememo feature to be far more useful, and the day counter feature far more fascinating.

The only practical use I've had for CDT is for timing my visits to the sauna or steam room at the gym. Otherwise, its presence (or absence) on a G-Shock is no big deal for me in any way. I can just as easily use the alarm.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Suspended

I use the CDT all the time with my kid. For some reason that little beeping is the only thing he will respond to... 5 minutes to bed... 5 minutes on the Wii...clothes on in 5 minutes...brush your teeth in 5 minutes...
    Last edited by nhoJ; September 4th, 2009 at 15:27.

CDT is also important to me, and I find that a GW-M5600 is small and thin, relative to the typical G-Shock or even most 5600 models. Check it out if you want a smaller Casio with CDT.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    I use the CDT all the time with my kid. For some reason that little beeping is the only thing he will respond to... 5 minutes to bed... 5 minutes on the Wii...clothes on in 5 minutes...brush your teeth in 5 minutes...
    It must be the authority of the great G that makes the little guy cringe.

I find the CDT to be an extremely useful feature on a G. Casio really ought to put that in every module. However, I'll probably buy an MTG-910, which doesn't have a CDT, because I think it looks so damn good.

Banned

The CDT is very important to me. I hate the fact that mine only goes to 60 minutes. I also wish the displays were less busy and had larger digits.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information