Casio DW-260 (Vintage Non-G)
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Casio DW-260 (Vintage Non-G)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio DW-260 (Vintage Non-G)

Did anyone else have one of these precursors to the DW-290? I know there were several others in the 200 series, but I remember seeing this one a lot more than others. This is one of those watches I wish I had kept. Probably the only watch I've ever owned that I can say was perfect, with no issues or negative things about it.

I think with the popularity of square watches, I wonder why Casio hasn't made a new square model to replace the DW290. They should be all over that market opportunity. And what number could they use? Has DW-300 already been used by a G-Shock series? Is the "numbering" problem the only reason they haven't replaced the odd-looking 290 with something newer? I think the reason the DW-290 is still somewhat popular is because it hasn't been replaced with anything new.

This little film shows several watches in the 200 series including the 260.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRY_FZZdnp4
    blondygirl69 likes this.
    ShockMister

Re: Casio DW-260 (Vintage Non-G)

UPDATE: It looks like the DW-300 might have been used on a series of 300M deep-sea diving watches.
    ShockMister

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    Did anyone else have one of these precursors to the DW-290?
    Yes, I do have one -- one of the oldest watches in my collection, and the first watch that I bought myself that I still own.

The only bad things I can say about: it's got the crappy 1980's light that preceded the newer EL backlights (and makes the watch harder to read in the dark), it doesn't show current time in stopwatch mode, and the slightly raised crystal is prone to scratches:

Name:  dw 260 1.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  484.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    And what number could they use? Has DW-300 already been used by a G-Shock series?
    Yes and no -- it was used for the DW-290's big brother, the 300m rated, not-quite-a-G-but-almost-as-tough DW-300.

Featured in Heartbreak Ridge with Clint Eastwood.

Google + "casio dw300" = https://www.google.com/search?q=casi...utf-8&oe=utf-8

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Yes, I do have one -- one of the oldest watches in my collection, and the first watch that I bought myself that I still own.

The only bad things I can say about: it's got the crappy 1980's light that preceded the newer EL backlights (and makes the watch harder to read in the dark), it doesn't show current time in stopwatch mode, and the slightly raised crystal is prone to scratches:
    I can see your point. Except for the light. I wish more of them had the older style light, or at least the Ten-Year style which uses less power.
    ShockMister

I have a DW240 HD, it's a really good size watch. Smaller than a 5600 and larger than an F91W. It's a shame they stopped making them.

Name:  0487_zps9093d73a.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  68.6 KB

Excellent thread Gshockmister.after collecting vintage G-Shocks i.e.5200,5400,etc,etc for years, the HD bug hit hard.I remember a guy at work had one back in 85 and it stuck in my head.after some patience and luck I scored a mint DW-200/DW-240/DW-270,and a pair of DW-340 300m.believe it or not the OEM straps in new cond are still made.

Cheers
    john
    ShockMister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blondygirl69 View Post
    Excellent thread Gshockmister.after collecting vintage G-Shocks i.e.5200,5400,etc,etc for years, the HD bug hit hard.I remember a guy at work had one back in 85 and it stuck in my head.after some patience and luck I scored a mint DW-200/DW-240/DW-270,and a pair of DW-340 300m.believe it or not the OEM straps in new cond are still made.

Cheers
    john
    The replacement straps are another plus. I like any watch where you can find a strap that doesn't cost half as much as the watch itself, which makes it almost not even worth replacing.
    ShockMister

Quote Originally Posted by blondygirl69 View Post
    believe it or not the OEM straps in new cond are still made.
    They were still available a few months ago, and I was going to get one from Pacparts one of these days: Casio DW260-1V Parts and Accessories

Now they're showing them as "discontinued" so that's the second time I've waited too long on a part for an older model and missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    They were still available a few months ago, and I was going to get one from Pacparts one of these days: Casio DW260-1V Parts and Accessories

Now they're showing them as "discontinued" so that's the second time I've waited too long on a part for an older model and missed out.
    While you might not find a replica of the original style strap, you can find a generic one that fits. I know because I remember deliberately replacing the original on mine with a generic because I didn't like the "stiffness" of the fitted strap. I prefer to be able to move the watch around without it looking awkward.
    ShockMister

Great watches, very retro. While I like some of the new retros, like the F-108wh
    Name:  f108_y.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  109.3 KB(pic stolen form internet)
    they do not have Countdown Timers!!!!?!
    Still mourning the W-71, and these seem to have its functionality, complete with the REM, but with more toughness. Keepers, for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information