Casio DW-5030-1JR and DW-5030C-1JR Comparison Review
Like Tree16Likes
  • 12 Post By Desert
  • 1 Post By Jasonwinter
  • 3 Post By Fergfour

Thread: Casio DW-5030-1JR and DW-5030C-1JR Comparison Review

Casio DW-5030-1JR and DW-5030C-1JR Comparison Review

Hi all. I thought I would post this as when I was looking I couldn't find any comparisons and it might help someone. As I have only had these watches a few days, this is more of a brief comparison than a review. Like Porsches 911 and Volvo's, the latter at least up till the late 80's (pun intended), Casio's re-issues have been more about evolution than revolution. A concept purists, including myself respond to.

DW5030. Being a form follows function kinda a guy this is my personal favourite. Its pure classic, based on the 1983 DW-5000C-1A original. The screen format is exactly the same in its colour theme as the original, only some words have changed to conform with contemporary technology, although this is only minor. I like that its case, caseback and pushers are stainless as there are no problems with coating coming off in decades to come. In short its very 1980's and takes me back to the warm Australian summers of 1985, 87 and 89 when I best remember the original G and the 5600C. The "PROJECT TEAM Tough", in blue lettering where Water Resist 200M use to be honours Ibe Kikuo, the young Japanese engineering graduate to put together the Tough Project Team tasked with developing, at the time the impossible, 'the triple 3' concept watch - Meaning a watch that was to be 1.)G-Force resistant from a 10 storey building fall on to concrete at acceleration due to gravity (@), 2.)have a 10 year battery life; and 3.)at least 10ATM or 100meters of water resistance, of which by production in 83 200M was achived, further classifying it as a serious divers alternative without the inherent bulk or weight! The screen clarity is one of the best with a silver background and bold dark number segments that IMO have been perfected!

DW5030C. Is a beautiful looking timepiece. Its a watch full of character that grows on you. Interestingly from a distance of 1 metre or more it looks all black and modern. Get close however and it has a vintage hue of colours that go well together. I absolutely love the dark red "PROJECT TEAM Tough" lettering, its very subtle and blends very well with the brick tiles and subtle vintage theme. What I found really intriguing is that the rose gold keeper tarnishes if left creating a beautiful vintage look to it, yet is easy restored to NEW with a light wipe. If your looking for a digital wrist watch that can double with formal attire this delivers. This watch is full of character; while 5030 is full of function, longevity & retro style & from what I've read is the more collectable of the two. 5030C's screen is not as legible as 5030's, but is by no means difficult to read and blends well with its vintage theme. On 5030C black ion plated case and caseback finish the package.

(Notes: 5030C caseback pic first, followed by pics in order of descriptions. 5030 still has factory plastic on caseback and keeper. "PROJECT TEAM Tough" lettering on 5030 is BLUE despite appearing white in one of the images- sorry its my Canon camera). Any questions welcome on these two
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Desert; July 14th, 2015 at 03:58. Reason: To upload all pics
    tiha, Ottovonn, jrp316 and 9 others like this.
    'I think therefore I am' (Rene Descartes`, 1644)
    Think he meant, 'You can do anything if you put your mind to it!'

I delve into the intricacies of horology, but the laymen
    just wills me to enunciate more clearly? I conclude in knowing he
    is genetically resistant, and that is why I come here!

Re: Casio DW-5030-1JR and DW-5030C-1JR Comparison Review

Good review, and nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by jrp316 View Post
    Good review, and nice pics!
    Thanks buddy!
    Last edited by Desert; July 13th, 2015 at 05:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice review. I seem to be on the same path as this. I had an original back in the 80's. I really like the DW-5030-1JR with the red accent on the screen, it seems closer to the original. I can get one but only as part of the box set with the carbon version and a g-man. Is it sacriledge to split a box set?
    Desert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonwinter View Post
    Nice review. I seem to be on the same path as this. I had an original back in the 80's. I really like the DW-5030-1JR with the red accent on the screen, it seems closer to the original. I can get one but only as part of the box set with the carbon version and a g-man. Is it sacriledge to split a box set?

Lots of people split the set when it came out. No big deal. Go for it!

Thank you!

Sorry for the late reply Jason. I agree with Kung Fusion, of course it's ok to split the set. I brought mine that way. I hope you found one ok.

This is sorta funny, original post in 2015, reply in 2016, response in 2017 lol Doesn't matter I guess, I read older posts all the time for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    Sorry for the late reply Jason. I agree with Kung Fusion, of course it's ok to split the set. I brought mine that way. I hope you found one ok.
    Yes, that's an old thread, but however I would like to know how the 5030 hold up in the long distance.

I see the set is still available in Japan, for a lot of money, but on the other I like the G man too....

I have most of the 5025 and 5030 offerings, so that goes back 8-9 years now. They are holding up great if not better than any other square I have. I say go for it. I totally love the anniversary models. Wearing the 5030D today as a matter of fact:
    Name:  IMG_20170412_072147.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  1.73 MB
    jascolli, cuthbert and xevious like this.

Thread Information