The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Re: The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True?

The only 2 things that I don't like about the all plastic resin case is that first, it is prone to deterioration and deformation if it's accidently exposed to any chemicals or extreme heat and second, that the case would be ruined if one accidently strips the screw threads inside the back of the watch case while threading the screws back into the watch case to seal the back bezel cover after doing a battery change.
    milanovic likes this.

Re: The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True?

Quote Originally Posted by RolexSubMan View Post
    The only 2 things that I don't like about the all plastic resin case is that first, it is prone to deterioration and deformation if it's accidently exposed to any chemicals or extreme heat and second, that the case would be ruined if one accidently strips the screw threads inside the back of the watch case while threading the screws back into the watch case to seal the back bezel cover after doing a battery change.
    I agree, full SS is much more solid, and wouldn't be subject to either of those possible accidents. But I think the resin can absorb more shock, because it's more flexible. The SS case has a similar flaw as the backplate screws, with the bezel screws getting stripped or worse snapped off into the case.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sherms View Post
    I agree, full SS is much more solid, and wouldn't be subject to either of those possible accidents. But I think the resin can absorb more shock, because it's more flexible. The SS case has a similar flaw as the backplate screws, with the bezel screws getting stripped or worse snapped off into the case.
    You mean that the threads either on the screwback bezel or on the inside of the watch case being stripped if the bezel is not screwed on properly or if it's screwed on crooked? Is that what you mean?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Another thing which I forgot to ask here is regarding replacing the all plastic resin case on this particular watch. If the all plastic resin case gets completely ruined and if one needs to "replace" the entire all plastic resin case on this particular model watch, is this part available from Casio? Or does one have to throw the entire watch away for the lack of availability of the all plastic resin case from Casio? Does anybody know about this?

Like Nick said if you are worried about the reisin case it would be a good time to pick up a Rising white, Ocean Grey or the Spike Lee limited edition screwbacks most can be had for about 130. casio usa would be the ones to ask if you can get a case only.

btw I have had a GW300 the first atomic / solar G and it has a resin case for over 6 years no problem. I have not heard of any resin case only issues.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I wouldn't worry about stripping the threads. how often you gonna change the battery? every 5 years? every 7 years? with little luck every 10 years maybe.
    I have opended dozens of watches and never stripped a thread, its all about sensitivity. when you feel a screw doesn't move any further then DON'T force it to move any further.

I wouldn't worry about aggresive liquids on a 40$ watch either. its always funny to see people being worried about a cheap replaceble thing when the one thing that cannot replaced is far more endangered - your arm/skin.

besides: resin is one real tough stuff, you can freeze it, you can boil it and it won't matter. you can drop a resin watch on concrete (once did from a 25 stories building = ~ 90 meters) and it won't matter. try that with a metal cased watch and it won't look so good afterwards anymore....

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by RolexSubMan View Post
    You mean that the threads either on the screwback bezel or on the inside of the watch case being stripped if the bezel is not screwed on properly or if it's screwed on crooked? Is that what you mean?
    I'm talking about the screws that secure the bezel to the case on the sides of the watch, the old screwbacks are notorious for broken bezel screws. It's due to rust or salt getting in the threads and causing the screws to seize, then break off when trying replace the old screws.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about stripping the threads. how often you gonna change the battery? every 5 years? every 7 years? with little luck every 10 years maybe.
    I have opended dozens of watches and never stripped a thread, its all about sensitivity. when you feel a screw doesn't move any further then DON'T force it to move any further.

I wouldn't worry about aggresive liquids on a 40$ watch either. its always funny to see people being worried about a cheap replaceble thing when the one thing that cannot replaced is far more endangered - your arm/skin.

besides: resin is one real tough stuff, you can freeze it, you can boil it and it won't matter. you can drop a resin watch on concrete (once did from a 25 stories building = ~ 90 meters) and it won't matter. try that with a metal cased watch and it won't look so good afterwards anymore....

regards, holger
    I never knew that an all resin watch Casio case will not deform if you boil it or if even if you freeze it. That's very good information to know.
    Also, by dropping a Casio all resin watch case on concrete from a high story building and it not breaking or getting damaged in any way is truely very amazing. If all this information which you are posting here about the extreme abuses that a Casio all resin case can take without breaking itself or getting itself deformed are all 100% true, then maybe the all resin watch case and the material that it's made from is even MORE DURABLE than its stainless steel predecessor. What do you think?
    By the way, I just ordered the men's Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock for $39.50 plus $3.99 one day shipping.
    Last edited by RolexSubMan; December 28th, 2008 at 08:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherms View Post
    I'm talking about the screws that secure the bezel to the case on the sides of the watch, the old screwbacks are notorious for broken bezel screws. It's due to rust or salt getting in the threads and causing the screws to seize, then break off when trying replace the old screws.

I know what you mean I have a DW5700 which I bought new almost 20 years ago it is still working on the orignal battery but the resin bezel is cracked. I tried to get the screws out and no luck. so im going to pry the rest off and put another bezle on, the orignal is not avaible anymore. I have to ream out the screw holes on the new one a little first.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi

I keep bringing this link back orignally posted by lex. it should put away your worries about resin and like me you might buy a Gulfman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtXn9-tdMz4

let me know what you think.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information