The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True? - Page 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Re: The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherms View Post
    I'm talking about the screws that secure the bezel to the case on the sides of the watch, the old screwbacks are notorious for broken bezel screws. It's due to rust or salt getting in the threads and causing the screws to seize, then break off when trying replace the old screws.
    Wow! I never knew this. If the screws that secure the outer rubber bezel to the stainless steel watch case get seized up like this, then that means that they could be glued solid into the watch case. It's just like the screws of a car's muffler being caked up with a lot of rust from the salty roads. The screws will not unthread themselves or screw off because they are soldered on to the threads really good from all the rust build-up.

Re: The Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock Watch Case is Made out of PLASTIC! Is this True?

Quote Originally Posted by RolexSubMan View Post
    Wow! I never knew this. If the screws that secure the outer rubber bezel to the stainless steel watch case get seized up like this, then that means that they could be glued solid into the watch case. It's just like the screws of a car's muffler being caked up with a lot of rust from the salty roads. The screws will not unthread themselves or screw off because they are soldered on to the threads really good from all the rust build-up.

Yes and because of this I have been thinking about what to do on my newer screwback watches to keep them from siezing up in the future

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JERSTERCA View Post
    Yes and because of this I have been thinking about what to do on my newer screwback watches to keep them from siezing up in the future
    That's a VERY good question. WHAT WOULD be a good solution in order to keep the small screws that attach to the outer rubber bezel to the stainless steel watch case from soldering themselves into the threads of the stainless steel watch case from all the rust? Maybe they need to be "worked" which means that they need to be screwed and unscrewed from the outer rubber bezel occassionally and oiled to keep them from soldering themselves to the inside of the stainless steel watch case.
    This is the only thing that I can think of which might solve the screws from soldering themselves into the metal watch case from all the rust.
    Last edited by RolexSubMan; December 28th, 2008 at 08:34.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JERSTERCA View Post
    You'd use copper grease on a car to stop this kind of problem.

The other problem with resin (which really shook my faith in G-Shocks when it happened to me yesterday) is deformation of the lug-holes.

I was at work, pulling a big heavy trolley down a narrow passageway. I caught my watch on something immoveable, and to my horror the strap came off and the watch fell off. Amazingly I managed to find the springbar in a dirty, not particularly well lit part of the warehouse. On inspection, it appeared that the springbar had been pulled from the hole across the lug scoring a channel across the lug. It did go back together, but if I manage to do the same again the springbar will not stay in (and if that does happen, my only option is going to be a mil-shock conversion).

With a stainless steel case the springbar or strap would have failed first.
    'I never done it'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    You'd use copper grease on a car to stop this kind of problem.

The other problem with resin (which really shook my faith in G-Shocks when it happened to me yesterday) is deformation of the lug-holes.

I was at work, pulling a big heavy trolley down a narrow passageway. I caught my watch on something immoveable, and to my horror the strap came off and the watch fell off. Amazingly I managed to find the springbar in a dirty, not particularly well lit part of the warehouse. On inspection, it appeared that the springbar had been pulled from the hole across the lug scoring a channel across the lug. It did go back together, but if I manage to do the same again the springbar will not stay in (and if that does happen, my only option is going to be a mil-shock conversion).

With a stainless steel case the springbar or strap would have failed first.
    I never thought about that, but you are right. If any pulling pressure is placed on the watchband, the springbar pins can make the lug holes much larger on the resin watch case making the springbars useless. Eventually, the sprinbars can fall out of the lug holes if the lug holes become opened up and deformed. This can be a problem because once this occurs, the watch case is ruined. I don't know of any way that the lug holes can be repaired once they are stretched open like that. This issue brings up another good question: Can the lug holes on a plastic resin case be repaired once they get stretched open?
    Does anybody in here know HOW stretched open lug holes can be repaired on a plastic resin watch case?

Does anybody in here know HOW stretched open lug holes can be repaired on a plastic resin watch case?
    I doubt that anyone would try, but you could always fill the hole and then -

I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I doubt that anyone would try, but you could always fill the hole and then -

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

The only 2 things that I don't like about the all plastic resin case is that first, it is prone to deterioration and deformation if it's accidently exposed to any chemicals or extreme heat and second, that the case would be ruined if one accidently strips the screw threads inside the back of the watch case while threading the screws back into the watch case to seal the back bezel cover after doing a battery change.
    Not trying to pick on your post, but as for the resin deformation due to heat or chemicals, I don't know if your wrist/body will be in good shape if this comes to happen to your watch haha. Just a thought.

Looks like he got banned for some reason.

I'm amused that he was SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that a $40 watch isn't completely indestructible.
    WindingMan likes this.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

I never knew that an all resin watch Casio case will not deform if you boil it or if even if you freeze it. That's very good information to know.
    Also, by dropping a Casio all resin watch case on concrete from a high story building and it not breaking or getting damaged in any way is truely very amazing. If all this information which you are posting here about the extreme abuses that a Casio all resin case can take without breaking itself or getting itself deformed are all 100% true, then maybe the all resin watch case and the material that it's made from is even MORE DURABLE than its stainless steel predecessor. What do you think?
    By the way, I just ordered the men's Casio DW5600E-1V G-Shock for $39.50 plus $3.99 one day shipping.
    Congratulations Reading through your posts you seem to have very high expectations for the $39.50 DW5600E. I cannot think of a better watch to buy at that price - you won't be disappointed

Hey my 100th post!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information