Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By blondygirl69
  • 1 Post By blondygirl69
  • 1 Post By Watchphile
  • 1 Post By Rocat
  • 1 Post By zabat

Thread: Casio F105 &W59 vrs basic G Shock clarity

Casio F105 &W59 vrs basic G Shock clarity

Hello there G Shock community.after collecting a fairy decent size vintage and basic modern G Shock collection as well As JDM upmarket goodies GWF frogs and GW 5000.I was bitten by the minimalistic and simplified casio bug,pretty ferocious little bastard.being an avid fan of G,s since 84 I was always sportin either a 5200,5700,5600 and on and on.I pretty much exhausted all my G Shock options and wanted to stay within the casio family.after checking out you tube reviews on the most basic,and I mean basic i.e. F91,W59,F105,models my interest was sparked.however there was for me an adjusting period in regards to the size,but if you can get past that these babies have a lot to offer.
    Loud alarms,excellent clarity of the segments.( I have two new 5600E,s where the segments almost fade into the Grey background.I am far from a hipster at 53 but there is a lot to be said for the simple is best or KISS theory.not to mention these are so light I slept with one on last night which believe me I am not a wear your watch to bed guy.I used to think my minimal casio rock bottom watch purchase,s would be the limited to something basic like origins 5600E,no lower than that.but after scratching this itch there is a whole new subterranean world of great little casio,s. out there waiting to get discovered.

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by blondygirl69; September 18th, 2015 at 18:00.
    Rocat and alexs12 like this.

Re: Casio F105 &W59 vrs basic G Shock clarity

Absolutely there are good Casio's for cheap. The AE-1200, AE-1300, WS-200H, WS-220and the list goes on and on.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Absolutely Rocat,love the AE Casio Royale.for 23 bucks you can be Rocking it retro james bond style on bracelet.

Cheers
    John
    Rocat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hear ya and you may want to check out the F108WHC series as I think they are great value for money as well. I have one as my daily wearer and I can say with confidence it rivals the GWM5610 in terms of LCD contrast/clarity.
    Rocat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchphile View Post
    I hear ya and you may want to check out the F108WHC series as I think they are great value for money as well. I have one as my daily wearer and I can say with confidence it rivals the GWM5610 in terms of LCD contrast/clarity.

The only thing that makes me dislike some of the lower cost models is the lack of a fourth button. I need that fourth button to make setting the watch easier. I would have already bought a HDDS-100 if not for the lack of a fourth button and of course this one not having a light. I may one day get it if I can quit buying $40 Hirsch straps. :)
    Watchphile likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Name:  P1030985.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  163.5 KB
    These watches, the F-105 and the infamous F-91, have really loud alarms, but do not have countdown timers. Their alarms, which sound for a full 20 seconds, are much louder than any of my Gs, and that includes the much vaunted G-3011.

The newer “basic” ones, the W-800 and the W-96 have slightly softer (but still OK, louder than the GD-100) 10 second alarms (but do have snooze alarms), and really nice greenish LED backlights.

The W202 has alarms comparable in strength to the Loud 2 above, but is slightly higher pitched. And it has a countdown timer with autorepeat and time visible in cdt and chrono modes, iirc. There’s also a chromed version with a fancier metal band called the B-640.

The W-71 however: It’s even louder than the W-202, F-105 and the F-91. If you work in an office and the hourly beep goes off, your co-workers will be seriously annoyed. It’s heart attack loud! Unfortunately discontinued, it does pop up on that auction site from time to time.

And maybe you should get a "basic". Because while the alarms and even modules are more desirable than those of some of my Gs, and even though they are not Gs in robustness or wrist presence, the future is speeding towards us, faster and faster, in the form of 3-D printers. An outer bezel with built in Zulu lugs sized to fit one of these “time-engines” would pretty much negate most of my need for Gs.

edit: removed all references to the W-59, because I realized that I do not actually own one!

edit: Palms to face! I did not even address your wish to know about the clarity and contrast, and instead focused on MY major concerns.

Yes, the watches mentioned are all very clear, with one one exception: teh F-105, probably because of the EL panel. None of the others have this, making do instead with the side light bulb or LED display lighting. The F-91 is crystal clear, especially when placed side by side with a DW-5600e. Actually, the F-105 is not bad, it just suffers in comparison with the F-91.
    Last edited by zabat; September 19th, 2015 at 03:26.
    domoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    The only thing that makes me dislike some of the lower cost models is the lack of a fourth button. I need that fourth button to make setting the watch easier. I would have already bought a HDDS-100 if not for the lack of a fourth button and of course this one not having a light. I may one day get it if I can quit buying $40 Hirsch straps. :)
    You have a point there though for basic time keeping they are hard to beat for value.

Is there such a model in red color and 100m wr? I miss my f-91.
    Current: Longines Hydroconquest L3.642.4; G-shock G7900-4 (black modded),

Quote Originally Posted by flori78 View Post

Amazon.com: Casio F-108WHC-4ACF Classic Red Stainless Steel Watch: Casio: Watches

Quote Originally Posted by flori78 View Post
    I have no way of knowing if these are counterfeit or not (yes, it's a thing), but they sure do look good!

Name:  f-91_colors.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  109.9 KB(random pic "borrowed" from the internet)

Not anywhere close to 100 m wr!
    Last edited by zabat; September 19th, 2015 at 19:30.

Thread Information