Which Casio G-Shock for Firefighting?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Which Casio G-Shock for Firefighting?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Which Casio G-Shock for Firefighting?

I am a full time firefighter in Canada and I am looking for a good watch to wear while on duty. I have naturally migrated to the Casio G-Shock because my watch needs to be waterproof, durable, comfortable and relatively inexpensive. I am looking for a G-Shock that is black in color with a black rubber wrist band, face can also have a bit of grey if its the right model. I am not really partial to either digital or analog but it does need to have a second hand or a second counter for taking a patients pulse. I would also like to see other features like a date, alarm, light, timer, stopwatch blah blah blah...

I would like to spend under $100 US on the watch and am really confused when looking at all the models and their item numbers. Can I get nice features like solar power, 200m WR, Atomic Timekeeping (no idea what this is), LoL for under $100?

Here is another kicker, I would like it to be relatively slimmer in profile compared to the big honking thick G-Shocks, I am not worried about the case diameter as much as the case thickness. When I wear my bunker jacket the sleves are tight and a big thick watch is really irritating under the jacket. What are some good G-Shocks with the features I am looking for and what bonus features may I be able to find for under $100? Please be specific with your model recomendations and even include code numbers or pictures. Thanks

Re: Which Casio G-Shock for Firefighting?

I would recommend the GWM850. Has pretty much all the features you're looking for, is not very big compared to other G-Shocks, and you can find even new ones on Ebay for as low as $40 to $50. Here's a pic of the one I just got about two weeks ago.

Name:  watch.JPG
Views: 9970
Size:  100.7 KB

Max-4, I'm going to boring and recommend the DW-5600e:

Day, date, time and seconds all on the main screen, stopwatch, countdown timer and LOUD alarm, and available for under $50 at any Wal-Mart. Also, it has a very slim profile so it won't hang up on turnouts or gloves. One of the oldest G-Shock designs, but IMHO it is the best feature set they ever put out.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Doug507 View Post
    Max-4, I'm going to boring and recommend the DW-5600e:

Day, date, time and seconds all on the main screen, stopwatch, countdown timer and LOUD alarm, and available for under $50 at any Wal-Mart. Also, it has a very slim profile so it won't hang up on turnouts or gloves. One of the oldest G-Shock designs, but IMHO it is the best feature set they ever put out.
    +1 from me!

Name:  7241077220_b54b4b9481_b.jpg
Views: 10881
Size:  271.7 KB

GD100? Big display big buttons
    GD100-1A and GD100MS-1 (my favourite).

Name:  gd100-1a_large.jpg
Views: 9384
Size:  56.1 KBName:  gd100ms-1_large.jpg
Views: 9384
Size:  48.9 KB

But if you have no restriction on the price and color, and if you can find one, I recommend these Men in Rescue Orange for fire-fighters. The axes in the backlight is cool.

Casio G-Shock “Men in Rescue Orange” Pack | Hypebeast
    Name:  casio-gshock-men-orange-1.jpg
Views: 37351
Size:  142.9 KB
    Name:  11776-500x500.jpg
Views: 10087
Size:  50.3 KBName:  972760-500x375.jpg
Views: 9508
Size:  43.4 KB
    Back light pics from Sjors' 50 Gs

Last edited by GShockMe; May 21st, 2012 at 20:03.
    dobber72 likes this.

Are firemen required to wear watches while fighting a fire?

I'd think a resin g-shock would melt if your running in a fire, and a metal watch would heat up and burn your wrist.
    Would the watch be underneath your gear (sleeves/gloves)? If so, wouldn't you not even be able to see your watch?

Don't mean to highjack the thread or suggest you don't need a watch...I'm just curious.
    captain kid likes this.

I am not a big fan of any of the "rescue orange" watches, I am just looking for a simple black or black and grey watch. I am looking for features like day, date, 24 hr clock, alarms, stopwatch, backlight. I don't need any crazy lap timers or 4 alarms or raleigh modes and what not. I am looking for a simple, durable and user friendly g-shock that will last a while. I also like stainless steel screw down backcases.
    Last edited by Max-4; May 21st, 2012 at 20:39.

Indeed, a simple DW-5600 would be the best I think. It is has a low profile, fits easy under your suit, inexpensive and if it get damaged or scratched to much over time, you can easily replace it. This watch is made for rough work circumstances. A basic DW-6900 is a good second. It's only a little big higher and will fit probably easily under your fireman suit. I have to wear a fireman suit once a year and I have actually never had problems with a G-Shock under it (though I always take an old abused G to my annual fire drill).

Cheers,

Sjors
    Jeff_C and azziman like this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by G_Me View Post
    Are firemen required to wear watches while fighting a fire?

I'd think a resin g-shock would melt if your running in a fire, and a metal watch would heat up and burn your wrist.
    Would the watch be underneath your gear (sleeves/gloves)? If so, wouldn't you not even be able to see your watch?

Don't mean to highjack the thread or suggest you don't need a watch...I'm just curious.
    LoL, no offence taken... A firefighter wears a bunker coat or turnout gear that has nomex cuffs that fit very tight to the wrist and hands after that he also wears fireproof gloves with nomex cuffs that go over the coats cuffs. If I was to ever be in a fire while wearing this gear and my watch started to melt, trust me " I have alot bigger things to worry about then my wrist getting burnt".

Most of the firefighters on my department wear watches for remembering the date or telling time while doing paper work. Another big aspect is taking a persons pulse, counting how many heart beats in 15 seconds and then multiplying by 4.

A nice low profile watch that is comfortable, water resistant and can withstand bumps and bangs would be an ideal firefighting watch.
    Last edited by Max-4; May 21st, 2012 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Max-4 View Post
    What about features like solar (im not crazy about batteries), atomic timekeeping and other features for under $100?
    The GW-M850 that Skizzle suggested is one of the cheapest Solar/Atomic G shocks you'll find around. I personally think it's got an excellent feature set and it's quite underrated as Gs go. Of course you can go for the standard issue (classic square) DW-5600E, it's basic, it's cheap and you won't worry about it being on your wrist at all, the battery on these last a long time, so it's not something you have to worry about on an annual basis or anything.

Oh and it seems nobody answered the question about what atomic timekeeping is? It means the watch is able to receive radio signals from an atomic clock to synchronise its time (normally every night) so that you'll always have accurate time, you won't have to adjust your watch for daylight saving either! a very nice but not essential feature to have

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information