Casio G-Shock GA100-1A4 Review
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RBL
  • 1 Post By KillaSkill

Thread: Casio G-Shock GA100-1A4 Review

RBL

Casio G-Shock GA100-1A4 Review

I just bought my first G-Shock and I thought I might post a simple little review (my first review). No doubt most of you here know much more about these wonderful watches then I do, but I know that I used WUS quite a bit when deciding what to buy. I thought I might return the favor.

The first thing you notice is the size. I have a medium sized wrist, but considering that this is supposed to be a large watch, I find that it does not look too big. I was really drawn to the color scheme, with a the matte black with just enough red and white accents to give it some personality. The face really stands out, as the dials and hands gives the face a really textured and 3d look. This is a big plus as far as I am concerned, as it looks intricate without being TOO busy. The positive digital display is easy to see, but the hands do occasionally obscure the display. Overall I don't find this part to be too intrusive. The watch itself is comfortable, though I don't really have anything to compare it to. The buttons are easy to press, and there is no worry about accidental discharge. Overall, on most marks, I am very happy with the GA-100 1A4. As mentioned many times in other reviews, the LED for this is adequate at best. The digital is very hard to read with the light, but the dials are mostly adequate (at least the minute hand is).

The watch has what I would assume are the standard features. (Time, world time, alarms, stopwatch, timer, light). These work just fine, and I'm finding new uses every day. The alarm is not very loud, and it lasts for under 10 seconds I would guess. I gather this is an issue with a number of different models. I've been testing it as a wakeup alarm, and I find that it will wake me up from my slumber, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I plan on using it as my backup alarm. The volume is for sure quieter then the alarm on the 12 dollar A178 I just bought.

However, there is one glaring issue that bugs me. The second hand is a bright white, and it's easily visible in even moderate to low lighting. There's no lume, but the minute hand will be visible with the LED. However, the red hour hand is very hard to see in anything other then bright lighting. I find myself constantly struggling to see the hour hand, and having to "work" to figure out what time it is. In this case, another white hour hand would greatly improve the functionality, and improve the aesthetics as well. With two white hands, this would have been a home run for me. As it stands, I'm always slightly amiss at what would have been.

That said, it's a beautiful watch and I'm still very happy to have it. I can see how this G-shock collecting thing can become addictive. Already, I'm looking at a nice 5600 variant to keep it company.

Thanks

RBL
    Attached Images Attached Images

alexs12 and lvt like this.

Re: Casio G-Shock GA100-1A4 Review

Congrats and welcome. The red hour hand on that model has long been a common complaint. Some members have went so far as to take it apart and paint it white.
    Greg

I reviewed the blacked out GA-100-1A1 not too long ago. Casio G-Shock GA-100 series review. http://lucky13brand.blogspot.com/201...es-review.html
    lvt likes this.

Hail to the King, baby.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With the GA series, it's more than common..however, welcome still!
    My Current Beater:
    Casio G-Shock: GW-2310FB-1CR

-=[My Pelican 1495; Home for my Gs]=-

lvt

That's an interesting G to like and abuse, congrats
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thread Information