Casio G Shock Giez Atomic Radio Solar WaveCeptor GS1000D- Most frustrating!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JonL
  • 1 Post By GatorJ

Thread: Casio G Shock Giez Atomic Radio Solar WaveCeptor GS1000D- Most frustrating!

Casio G Shock Giez Atomic Radio Solar WaveCeptor GS1000D- Most frustrating!

I recently purchased this used, apparently older model Giez black G-Shock. This analog, atomic solar looked interesting but it is the most frustrating ever to set. I downloaded the "manual" (Operation Guide 4343) from the Casio website but helps very little. Somehow I was able to manually get the watch set to the correct Mountain Std Time but that's all. Interesting looking watch but I'm ready to send it back to the seller if I can't get the expected actions from the button pushing indicated in the guide. For instance, right now pushing and holding the "A" button [ADJUST] is supposed to initiate a manual receive of the Boulder Colorado time signal but the only reaction is the small second hand at 6 o'clock rotates part way around and stops.

Incidentally, the button at the 4 o'clock position reads "DUAL T." and not "RESET."
    Last edited by kennym; December 25th, 2012 at 00:55.

Re: Casio G Shock Giez Atomic Radio Solar WaveCeptor GS1000D- Most frustrating!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a really nice G! The Giez are pretty special G-Shocks - full metal case, all analog. They put a different spin on the typical looks of a G, but still provide a multi-functional timepiece in analog form. The downside is a multi-function analog can be really frustrating! Thankfully Casio has improved on that design in recent years... however, the GS-1000 is an early example of their attempts. It's not bad though, Casio had to do worse before they got better, be happy you don't have a GS-1100.

So this Giez is interesting since there is no typical "MODE" button... each button is in a sense, its own mode. One button for alarm, one for dual-time, and another for chrono. I used to have this watch and if I remember, if you're in Dual-Time mode, the Adjust button could switch the Dual-time from Standard to Summer time. I think that's what's happening with you here, pressing and holding the Adjust button on the top left is toggling the Standard/Summer settings which is indicated by the subdial switching from 12 to 6 and back again. You have to set the watch back to timekeeping mode so that the Adjust button actually starts a manual sync. Just re-reading the manual it looks like to revert back to time-keeping mode you need to press the top right button.

I know this watch can be a bear to figure out, but patience will prove you'll eventually figure it out. When that happens you'll enjoy the cool of Giez.
    Chrisek and kennym like this.

Yes, "really frustrating!" is what it is. Perhaps the so called "Operating Guide 4343" leaves out an important step or two previous to the instructions for a particular section. Each time I thought I had it figured out the next day the watch reset itself 2 hours fast from the home city time I had selected. And, according to the Guide, to return to Timekeeping mode the top left button (A or Adjust) is pushed, not the top right.

Yes, it's a bear to figure out and I do have patience but so far each attempt ends in frustration. Maybe I'm just to old to figure this one out although I have another watch with a CP00 movement (similar to Citizen Navihawk )C300 calibre) and I have no trouble re-setting that one after a battery change.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have several Giez G's and they can be a bit challenging to set. They are, however, very high quality G-Shocks and worth the effort. Try opening the manual twice. In one window keep it on the section where it explains how to get the watch in the various modes. Use the second window to get to the section that contains the information on the specific function you are interested in. I found having to scroll up and down from the function section to the mode section made it worse.

Persevere...I haven't had to touch mine since setting them up properly.
    kennym likes this.

Good suggestion, thank you. Almost there now. Last problem is getting all hands in Home Position. The second hand subdial at 6 o'clock will not go to its straight up home position. The chart picture shows one button to push to get it there and the written instruction references another. Again, not user friendly. Anyway, neither choice corrects the hand to straight up. I will try out your two window method as it sounds useful.

Thread Information