Casio G-Shock GW-500A

Thread: Casio G-Shock GW-500A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio G-Shock GW-500A

I bought a gently used Casio G-Shock GW-500A on eBay and just received it in the mail. The stainless steel backplate of the watch had a "JAPAN Y" print, which was surprising because I thought they were made in Thailand. Does this mean mine was made in Japan?

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-500A

Are you sure it isn't a fake? I'm always skeptical when purchasing items from eBay...

Maybe you could upload a picture of the watch here?

Quote Originally Posted by rthiry303 View Post
    Are you sure it isn't a fake? I'm always skeptical when purchasing items from eBay...

Absolutely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

certainly no fake - you just got lucky in getting one with the "Japan Y" on the back. Some models have been made in Thailand, Japan and nowadays also China - and the same model is not always made in the same factory all the time - so there might well be some GW-500 with "Made in Thailand" and some with "Japan Y" as we see here.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Sweet! Thanks!

looks quite legit. I just saw some Japan made gw 500a's at my local walmart last week, and thought it was strange that they were made japan as i wasn't aware they were still being produced. I wouldn't worry about it, yours looks good and its Japan as a bonus.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

Quote Originally Posted by rthiry303 View Post

Looks fine from here, though I'm not an expert with that particular model....

Luckily, there really aren't many fake solar/atomics out there -- at least not yet! -- and it's pretty easy to tell if it IS a fake by seeing if it synchronizes correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    and it's pretty easy to tell if it IS a fake by seeing if it synchronizes correctly!
    Just tried the radio-controlled atomic timekeeping. It synchronized correctly. :)

I've heard "Made in Japan" labels may be place on items produced from factories outside of Japan. The only requirement is the factory is Japanese owned.

Quote Originally Posted by kerstel View Post
    I've heard "Made in Japan" labels may be place on items produced from factories outside of Japan. The only requirement is the factory is Japanese owned.
    Good point - it's not at all clear how "Made in Japan" is defined. There's been the endless debate about Seikos that have "Made in Japan" on them - versus the ones that don't - you can see it in the model number - the ones with "Made in Japan" have a "J" and the others a "K" - like SNZG09J1 vs. SNZG09K1. I did a lot of online research about that matter until I finally found a thread here on the forum where someone had the ingenious idea to just ask Seiko and they said the watches are made in the same factory - only distributed differently - so it's more about target market than place of origin - some countries request items that are imported to have a "Made in XYZ" on them. But that is true for Seiko - IMO with Casio it's a little different. But I don't really know how much of the components of a "Japan Y" Casio are actually made in Japan or if only the last process of assembly is done there (more likely IMO).

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; August 28th, 2013 at 01:09.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information