CASIO G-Shock line, as I would make it
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CASIO G-Shock line, as I would make it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Off Topic post CASIO G-Shock line, as I would make it

This is my take on the G-Shock full LCD line (or EPD, once the technology becomes more affordable to mass produce). Analog and mixed LCD/Analog is a bit more complicated to address, requiring a separate write-up.

BASIC G
    • World time, settable by city indicator or customized GMT offset, with DST option
    • Dot-matrix display (nearly seamless) showing time, date, with selectable font (G-shock 5600 style, plus 4 more)
    • Primary time shows in all modes
    • Date option to show MM/DD, DD/MM, Day, or Month (3 letter) via quick-press of Adjust button in main time display.
    • 2 Custom memo headers.
    • 5 alarms, 1 with snooze; set daily, weekday, weekend, one time; customized alarm hide, down to 1 minimum (for those who use less and want to reduce button presses).
    • (2) CDT from 99 hours, settable to seconds, 8 presets, 1 custom preset, auto repeat
      -- CDT option for down, up, and manual increment up/down.
    • (2) Stopwatch to 1/100th second, 100 day, split/lap function.
    • Hourly and half-hourly (short beep) chime set for weekday, weekend, daily; settable night quiet time.
    • Alarm pattern set: 2 beep/pause; 3 beep/pause; 5 rapid beep/pause; waver (alternates between all three)
    • Button press beep tone, settable to loud, soft and silent.
    • LED alert flash set to alarms and CDT.
    • EL backlight, negative style (number segments only), with auto-on tilt settable; 2-5 second settable; night mode, to activate with any button pushed.
    • 5 button case design -- 2 light-touch pushers each side, one medium-touch pusher on lower case front for illumination.
    • Standard strap lugs, so any 3rd party band can be used without adapters.
    • Superior quality resin, UV resistant, pliable yet scratch/tear resistant.
    • 5 year rated operation on CR-2025.

The "BASIC G" is offered with combinations of several options listed below.

Other options:
    • Solar (10+ month power reserve)
    • Solar + Atomic
    • Negative display
    • Vibration alarm
    • Screw down case back, selected models
    • "Bull bar" protection add-on, included; may be purchased separately -- this is a new design that is secured to the bezel with 4 screws (metal screw thread sockets)
    • Full face protect cover, shatterproof polybicarbonate translucent shell that latches over bezel to protect crystal in extreme conditions.
    • Four main standardized casing designs: square or round; low profile or thick protection
    • Variety of bezel/band/button-cover colors, interchangeable with available casing designs. Carbon fiber option too.
    • Sapphire crystal with bottom surface anti-reflection

The square casing would look very similar to the 5600 design with slight modernized touches. The round casing would look similar to the 6900 design, but would do away with the useless "port hole" segment displays in favor of a more dynamic display that can show graphs using the flexibility of a dot matrix LCD.

NOTE: Solar versions may require reduction of some features, such as 1 CDT and 1 stopwatch, EL backlight from 1.5-3 seconds.

Master of G series
    All include "BASIC G" core module functions. All have titanium case, screw down case back and sapphire crystal, unless otherwise specified. Rugged yet comfortable straps.
    • Option for solar+atomic
    • Option for negative display

__________________________________________________ ____________
    "Frogman" for diving
    - Depth indicator, mometary and logged
    - Temperature indicator, mometary and logged
    - Tide and Moon phase graphs
    - Compass

"Protrek G" for land based activities
    - Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Temperature; momentary and logged
    - Tide, Moon phase graphs
    - Sunrise, Sunset times
    - Custom memo header
    - Inner rotating bezel, operated by external crown

"Mudtrek", a "Protrek G" with anti-mud casing design
    - External rotating bezel, for quick buttonless operation
    - "Heavy" option, for all stainless steel case and back.

"Mudman" for mucky adventures
    Essentially a "BASIC G" model, with thick anti-mud casing design
    - "Heavy option", for all stainless steel case and back.

"Gulfman" for water adventures
    Essentially a "BASIC G" model, with streamlined casing for swimming
    - Tide and Moon phase
    - Compass (for navigating waters)

"Sportman" for athletic activities
    A combination of the "BASIC G" and other models that offer sports related functions.
    - 5 countdown timers, each customized by counting up, down, or by manual increment.
    - 5 stopwatches, full featured with multi-split/lap functions.
    - Display indicators on primary screen showing icons for all CDT and stopwatch activity.
    - Full featured pedometer for walking/running (SGW-200 functionality).
    - Enhanced piezo speaker for increased decibels.
    - Vibration alarm (because loud environments make audible alarm useless).

"Super-man" for the toughest conditions
    ("Superman" may be trademarked, so another name might be "Super-G" or "Gigaman").
    - Extra rugged shock protection and casing, creating the largest G-Shock model. This would be a replacement to "The King", putting in a more competent module and more usable display.
    - "Heavy option", for all stainless steel case and back, for those who want to "feel" the massiveness of the watch. Can also serve as a temporary small boat anchor.
    - Vibration alarm (because loud environments make audible alarm useless).
    __________________________________________________ _______

So, in this way, we get away from the myriad of "micro variations" that cloud and confuse the product line. Casio has come out with so many "slightly different" casings that incorporate seemingly random changes to previous modules, just to make a different model for the sake of sales. I think Casio would make plenty of sales with a standardized line that has more appeal. Plus, they could make a lot out of G-Shock customizations, because plenty of bezels/bands in different colors and styles are available for purchase. Of course, there would be special versions that come out for various marketing purposes, but in limited occurrence (e.g. movie commemoration). If they think that plenty of sales would still be made with "micro variations" of watches, do it in a line that is more about style. Call it "G-Style".
    Last edited by xevious; May 22nd, 2011 at 22:47.
    DaGrumps, GTR83 and the1hatman like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: CASIO G-Shock line, as I would make it

Geekman

* Square shape, full metal case without any plastic bits.
    * Standard g-shock functions.
    * Current time visible in all modes.
    * Solar.
    * Waveceptor or gps instead of waveceptor for "premium" / "collectors" edition(s).

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Can also serve as a temporary small boat anchor.

A very well written post, I enjoyed it
    Helm: Vanuatu
    ​Seiko: SKX779 "Black Monster"

Helson: Shark Diver 40 Brass
    Obris Morgan: Aegis
    G-Shocks: G1000-H / GW7900B-1 / GW9000 / G-Steel GSTS310D-1A
    Invicta: Modded 8926OB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OoE

Neat I! I only would add to your "Protrek G" a sunrise and sunset time

Interesting idea on that Geekman, Wally79. Isn't "waveceptor" just another name for "atomic sync"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scattercoreys View Post

A very well written post, I enjoyed it
    Glad you got a kick out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by OoE View Post
    Neat I! I only would add to your "Protrek G" a sunrise and sunset time
    Great idea! I'll update my posting.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I'll take one sportsman and one Superman please X-Shock mods
    G-Shock DW9052-1V, DW9052-2, DW5600E-1V, G9000-1V, Invicta 8926OB, Casio MDV102-1AV, Citizen BL6005-01E

Most people don't care.

They have a few decisions: square or round, size( small to very large), color, ana-digi or digital.

This is why they sell 3 million units per year. Their sales won't explode with any ther changes.

Excellent article. I enjoyed it but apparently it grew to more than 4 models like you mentioned in another thread

I tend to agree with your assessment that the currently imaginative Super-G lineup (maybe an apt name would be "Gigaman"?) and the current King line essentially boil down to even more protection for a basic module with basic G-Shock functions.

GROUND MAN

mudman with 1 LED for flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by GTR83 View Post
    Excellent article. I enjoyed it but apparently it grew to more than 4 models like you mentioned in another thread

I tend to agree with your assessment that the currently imaginative Super-G lineup (maybe an apt name would be "Gigaman"?) and the current King line essentially boil down to even more protection for a basic module with basic G-Shock functions.
    Thanks. In the other thread, I didn't clarify the 4 models, which I did state in the Basic G writeup (4 combinations from square, round and low profile, thick profile characteristics). The Master of G models are additional, because they're highly specialized for certain uses. Good name idea, "Gigaman" is probably better than the overused "Superman".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information