Casio G-Shock Solar Issue (Not Charging)

Thread: Casio G-Shock Solar Issue (Not Charging)

Casio G-Shock Solar Issue (Not Charging)

I have a Casio G-Shock Model GW700DU (2867) with solar charging etc. and now when left to charge in direct daylight it will charge but the charge does not last for very long out of the daylight.

Now i am quite technical and have opened the watch up looking for a capacitor etc and found a battery (CR1616) Does this battery have anything to do with the solar charging or is it just responsible for the light etc ?

Please can anyone shed some light on this issue please.
    Carl

Re: Casio G-Shock Solar Issue (Not Charging)

Hi Carl, was the watch originally purchased by you? The CR1616 is a non-rechargeable battery if memory serves correct. It's the CTL1616's that are rechargeable.

In either case a new battery (CR or CTL) should fix you right up.

Please do further research though and don't base anything on my post. I am new to the G-Shock game and the more knowledgeable of the group will chime in soon enough.

Regards,
    Paolo

Suspended

I don't think it is a good idea to put non-rechargable batteries in a chargable system. Your manual calls for a CTL1616 (page 4).

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2867.pdf

Here's a How To thread

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=41076
    Last edited by nhoJ; November 3rd, 2009 at 18:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

does a 10 year battery last longer than a tough solar ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by freeman View Post
    does a 10 year battery last longer than a tough solar ?!!
    Probably not, unless the rechargeable battery (or charging system) is faulty. Fifteen years is a likely minimum for tough solars, with much longer lives being more usual.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by carl97 View Post
    I have a Casio G-Shock Model GW700DU (2867) with solar charging etc. and now when left to charge in direct daylight it will charge but the charge does not last for very long out of the daylight.

Now i am quite technical and have opened the watch up looking for a capacitor etc and found a battery (CR1616) Does this battery have anything to do with the solar charging or is it just responsible for the light etc ?

Please can anyone shed some light on this issue please.
    Carl
    Hi! Carl:

I don't expect to see a CR battery in a newly purchased solar G. Obviously you are not the first owner of the watch in question. Are you? I have posted a thread long time ago about my G-7300 Tough Solar originally used a CTL battery and now using a CR and I encountered no problem with it.

Your watch is not charging because the battery in it is not rechargeable and it's the solar cell that's running it. Replace the battery with a new one! It's probably running out. It is evident that a solar G can use non-CTL battery.
    JUNGHANS Radio-Controlled WWVB, G-2500, GL-150, G-7300 TOUGH SOLAR, G-9100 GULFMAN,
    G-9000 MUDMAN, DW-5600 MODULE 901, DW-5000SL, DW-8200 FROGMAN, G-2900, Timex (Analog) Perpetual Calendar Model T2D461, Freestyle (Analog) Shark Hammerhead, Timex (Analog) Perpetual Calendar Model T45441.

i have exactly the same problem, the battery you see should be a rechargeable panasonic ctl1616 battery. i have replaced mine yet i still have the same battery drain problem. a couple of years ago i had the watch supposedly fixed yet the problem is now worse than ever.
    please keep me posted if you find a fix for this other than returning the watch to casio.
    thanks
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich_Enduro; November 5th, 2009 at 20:50.

There have been some problems down the years. The GW-300, GW-500 and G-5600 were notable examples. More recent atomic-solars seem to have had few problems.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Hi.
    I've just had the CTL1616 battery in my G2800 replaced at the local Casio service center. Previously the watch would indicate a full charge after some time in the sun but it doesn't hold its charge. After the battery was replaced it has no problems at all. Btw, the service center gave me a 3 month warranty on the repair as well so if there're issues still with the battery I can go back to them.
    The worse scenario I've ever come across was with a G7302RL. The battery was replaced 3 times and it still didn't work properly! Eventually the problem was attributed to a faulty charging system on the pcb and they replaced that and the battery as well. They only charged me for the cost of one battery though, hehe! And did I mention the 3 month warranty? that came in very useful indeed!
    Lee

Thread Information