Casio GPS Functionality

Thread: Casio GPS Functionality

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Casio GPS Functionality

I would think casio would have GPS receiving (one should never want sending on a watch - unless they are a puppet of big brother) ability by now. I've seen other watches with this, and casio g-shock (pathfinder should get it first) would really benefit.

GPS would allow for more accurate synchronization than atomic clock via the current atomic radio protocol - and be globally transparent (no getting a new radio band added for other countries atomic protocols).

GPS would only be out of range under water and in/under metal/heavily insulated buildings/structures.

GPS would obviously give you a Global Positioning System on your watch, and easily include a compass.

Watches are pretty low tech compared to other technologies these days. If there were some force (such as casio) in the watch market using these technologies, then competition would have to follow - and these technologies are already relatively cheap so installing them in Casio's main product lines would soon come to be inexpensive for the customer.

P.S. I would also like to see some open protocol adapted for communications between a watch and a computer (usb or whatever- this could allow for charging, information/file storage, firmware updates-using software would evolve the watch industry even more quickly-, etc). The necessary technology for this is now so small it would easily fit into a g-shock.
    Last edited by UTC_accuracy; March 27th, 2008 at 22:35.

Re: Casio GPS Functionality

There was a good thread about this last week:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=134602

I don't think the technology is quite there yet, but it's inevitable that it will become more common in the future.

Well with the combination of solar power, a gps that is not on all of the time, a better battery, and a usb system to help recharge - gps could be put in the standard g-shock next year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would hate a G-Shock to have a USB connector. For me, that would make it a wrist-gadget rather than a wrist-watch.

G-Shocks are gadgets to a degree, but a move in that direction and I would start to go off the brand.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I could see how it would be horrible, but with the right design I think it could blend right in (have a covering) and the extra features on the watch could be simplified. Can you describe why you would hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by UTC_accuracy View Post
    Can you describe why you would hate it?
    Well, for the reason stated, really - the gadget element. It may be my age, but I like specific objects to perform specific functions. Phones for phoning, cameras for photography, watches for the time. I can handle my watch cocking its ear to passing satellites, but I don't want it tethered to anything else. To my mind, it stops being a watch when that happens and becomes a gizmo.

I already have a charging cable for my phone, a charging/syncing cable for my PDA, a USB cable for my camera, and even a USB cable for my TomTom sat-nav. All of these gadgets offer so much, but we fill our pockets with the stuff and will soon need to accommodate an accessory bag to go with them.

A watch is a self-contained little marvel you simply strap on your wrist - that's the convenience and delight of them.

I have no objection to Casio making a gizmo watch (it's part of their history, after all), but I have no interest in non-G-Shock Casios, and if the technology came into the G-Shock brand I'm pretty sure I would start to lose interest in G-Shocks.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    but we fill our pockets with the stuff and will soon need to accommodate an accessory bag to go with them.

Women have been doing this for years. It is called a purse.
    Stan The Man

Careful what you wish for. YOU MAY GET IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stan2323 View Post
    Women have been doing this for years. It is called a purse.
    You beat me to it.

I also think watches that require cables are a huge turn off. I'm not sure how this would effect water resistance, but I imagine it would be a problem.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I have no interest in non-G-Shock Casios
    Though you did make an exception for the PAW-1300, mmm?

Or is it an "honorary G"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information