CASIO GPS instead of Multiband 6 ....
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By Rostislav Persion
  • 1 Post By Rostislav Persion
  • 1 Post By Everdying

Thread: CASIO GPS instead of Multiband 6 ....

Off Topic post CASIO GPS instead of Multiband 6 ....

I have a GW-M5610-1 and I like it. I just wish I could sync the time anywhere and any time.

I saw that the new gravity master watch has both multi band and GPS.

Will there ever be a GPS watch with a digital display? I want the same as my GW-M5610 but with GPS.

Garmin Fenix and Tactix have this but they are too complex and don't have solar power.

Any thoughts?

-Slava
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

Re: CASIO GPS instead of Multiband 6 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rostislav Persion View Post
    I have a GW-M5610-1 and I like it. I just wish I could sync the time anywhere and any time.

I saw that the new gravity master watch has both multi band and GPS.

Will there ever be a GPS watch with a digital display? I want the same as my GW-M5610 but with GPS.

Garmin Fenix and Tactix have this but they are too complex and don't have solar power.

Any thoughts?

-Slava
    My first thought is "didn't you just ask this two days ago?!" https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dig...l#post24821610

My second thought is "both systems have minor flaws: 'atomic' or radio reception works best at night, GPS works best outdoors. Neither are going to let you synch your watch 'anywhere and at any time.'" Are you really going to find it convenient to go outdoors whenever you decide that need to synch your watch?

My THIRD thought is "these current watches are generally accurate to +/- 15 seconds a month, or +/- one half of one second per day." If you let the watch synch AUTOMATICALLY overnight, every night, it's always going to be within a half second of the official time, so WHY do you feel the need to synch it more often than that?
    HoosierTrooper and l_cypher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    My first thought is "didn't you just ask this two days ago?!" https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dig...l#post24821610

My second thought is "both systems have minor flaws: 'atomic' or radio reception works best at night, GPS works best outdoors. Neither are going to let you synch your watch 'anywhere and at any time.'" Are you really going to find it convenient to go outdoors whenever you decide that need to synch your watch?

My THIRD thought is "these current watches are generally accurate to +/- 15 seconds a month, or +/- one half of one second per day." If you let the watch synch AUTOMATICALLY overnight, every night, it's always going to be within a half second of the official time, so WHY do you feel the need to synch it more often than that?

On some nights it doesn't sunc and then I want to do it during the day and can't ... I don't mind it only working outside....

They should make more transmitters all over, but not atomic, to keep costs down. Very simple to do.

Maybe you can use cell phone towers,... not sure if that requires a SIM card though...
    anabuki likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The GPS in my car uses some kind of wireless network to get driving conditions (traffic jams and delays) .. why can't they do it for watches..?
    anabuki likes this.

On some nights it doesn't sunc and then I want to do it during the day and can't....
    If it bothers you that much, Google around this forum and read about how some people have built their own external antennas (or antenna amplifiers) for their watches. Or as mentioned in other threads, download a smartphone app that mimics the Japanese signal -- of course, that means switching your watch's city code back and forth each time you use it to synch.

The GPS in my car uses some kind of wireless network to get driving conditions (traffic jams and delays) .. why can't they do it for watches..?
    Because "they" have designed and built a system that now costs very little to maintain and doesn't require any additional R&D. "They" use the system in several countries across the world and most of "us" are quite satisfied with the system -- it does what it's supposed to do fairly well, and it's free after you buy a radio-controlled watch or clock.

If you think you can build a "better mousetrap" as it were, go for it! Sell it to Casio or a competitor and you'll be rich! On the other hand, right now more companies are looking to build smartwatches to pair with smartphones (which also use GPS) so that's where the research and development is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    My poor, little GW-M850 is fast about 2/3 sec per day (20 sec per month, slightly out of spec). Fortunately, it has synced every night since I got it 10 months ago, so it has never even been off by a second. It's not worth taking it apart and adjusting the trimmer. If it had been a non-atomic watch, I would have adjusted it.

I actually like the current Multiband 6 system. It works fine for me in the L.A. area. For my purposes I don't need a watch that's set by GPS.

On some nights it doesn't sunc and then I want to do it during the day and can't ... I don't mind it only working outside....

They should make more transmitters all over, but not atomic, to keep costs down. Very simple to do.

Maybe you can use cell phone towers,... not sure if that requires a SIM card though...
    if again u are always worried about being late for an appointment by mere seconds...
    and if you want one that requires a sim, there is the casio edifice that syncs via bluetooth with ur phone and retrieves the time from it.
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

Thread Information