Is the Casio GW 2500 still the best ana-digi that's on the market?
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Is the Casio GW 2500 still the best ana-digi that's on the market?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Is the Casio GW 2500 still the best ana-digi that's on the market?

The Casio GW 2500 is now 3 years old - despite some minor flaws, many people claim it to be one of casio's best ana-digi designs.

Has anything yet overtaken it?

Name:  GW-2500BD-1ER.jpg
Views: 11353
Size:  14.3 KB
    mitadoc, Hughes. and arogle1stus like this.

Re: Is the Casio GW 2500 still the best ana-digi that's on the market?

Nope, not in my biased opinion, although I prefer the 'B' version.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I am wearing mine today and yes, I still think its the best analog/digital G so far

Highlights of what I like:
    * can show 3 time zone at the same time
    * snooze alarm
    * decent lume on hands
    * current time shown in all modes
    * comfortable for my wrist size
    * great size (big but not too big)
    * grey case
    * big metal buttons
    * looks great

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I haven't seen one I like better. It's a decent size too. Not too big...
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

I also think it's still one of the best. However there are a few other ana-digis I quite like - if you take into consideration the normal battery-driven models (not solar or atomic):
    I really like my AMW-707 - nice steel case, probably the best button response (incl. sound - the GW-2500 doesn't beep when pressing buttons), 100 hr timer, 100 hr stopwatch, EL-backlight lighting up the whole dial, but unfortunately only one alarm.
    Or the pretty new Edifice EFA-133 (haven't seen one in the forum so far) - also with a nice steel case with standard lugs. The module is the same as in the GA-100:
    - 100 hr stopwatch
    - 24 hr timer
    - 4 alarms + 1 snooze
    - worldtime
    The only weak points on the GW-2500 is the short timer (it has auto-repeat however and the number of repeats is indicated) and the missing "beep" - I really like the acoustical feedback when pressing buttons. The EFA-133 doesn't beep however.
    Also to take into consideration:
    EQW-M300 - same module as MTG-1500 but without the tough mvt - same as the GW-2500 only that the little subdial at "3" shows the STW not a second (third) timezone - but the steel case with standard lugs makes up for that - one of my favs but haven't pulled the trigger so far.
    GIEZ GS-1050 - same features as GW-2500 but no atomic reception - but steel case and screwback makes up for it (the Edifice ana-digis I mentioned all have the 4-screw caseback design).
    Then there's a few low-budget models which are mainly interesting for the fact that some have 10-year batteries - one of the flaws of many Casio ana-digis is the small battery (CR1220 on the GA-100, EFA-133 and others). The HDC-600 might be worth a look - comes with standard bullbars, 10-year battery, 24 hr timer and stopwatch, 3 alarms with separate indicators (one is snooze) and it also has a quick-return feature like the older modules of the DW-5600/6900.
    Then theres a few more:
    EFA-131 - same module as the AMW-707 but with a different stopwatch and without the thermometer mode of the AMW-707.
    AMW-706 - same features as AMW-707 with added fishing/hunting timer and moonphase.
    EFA-131 - same features as GA-100/EFA-133.
    And a very interesting ana-digi is also the discontinued PRG-60 as it's the only ana-digi Casio I know of that is solar and has an EL-illumination. All other solar ana-digis I know have LED. The PRG-60 is a little weak considering the features however - no timer, one alarm, standard stopwatch and ABC-features (don't know about the logging and other stuff as I havent read the manual thouroughly enough ).
    I also like the AE-1000/2000 which often are left out when talking about ana-digis - but in fact they are, as they have that little LCD dial in the middle. The features are also not too bad:
    - 24 hr STW
    - 24 hr timer
    - 5 alarms (no snooze)
    - very good world-time feature
    - 10-year battery
    - ana-digi without moving parts
    - and the old-school look
    Not to forget the AMW-710:
    - steel case
    - similar features to the HDC-600 but no quick return and an added moon/tide mode
    - the "dive-bezel" is just for show however as it doesn't turn

And last but certainly not least:
    SGW-400
    - probably the only new ana-digi model with EL instead of LED
    - 24 hr timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - AB features
    - 5 alarms - no snooze
    - cool old-school look

So if I had to choose - I'd get the GW-2500 and maybe one or two of the others - one with a longer timer. The AMW-series is really good - some great models and great looks. Also the build quality looks pretty good. The HDC-600 is on my list forever - still haven't pulled the trigger. The SGW-400 will be in the near future as it's really cool. The problem is - you can't have all in combination - some have longer timers, some have more alarms. I'd love the following (which doesn't exist unfortunately):
    - 100 hr timer
    - 100 hr STW
    - 4 alarms + snooze
    - steel case
    - screwback
    - solar
    - atomic
    - EL-illumination
    - "beeps" when changing modes

EDIT: Casio international (for all the countries with no atomic reception) is a good place when looking for ana-digis - they still even list most of the discontinued (well maybe they're still produced for certain countries) models:
    http://www.casio-intl.com/wat/outgear/
    the AMW-704/705/706 are basically the same model just with different display color. The AMW-703 is the same, too just with a different case. As are the AQW-101 models which have 200m rating and resin/steel cases.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; July 19th, 2011 at 00:44.
    kurzjak, sharper, zakhar and 8 others like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

The GW-2500 certainly is a winning design... and Casio hasn't really improved on the user interface. However I do prefer the looks of the GW-3500, which also adds Tough Mov't, and I also like the stainless cased Giez GS-1050. What really matters is what looks best to you.

soulbazz and mitadoc like this.

It's a good looking watch.
    Although mine is a non-atomic version, I recently put on a resin band for the summer instead of the metal band.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ElectricDan and mitadoc like this.

I really like the design and functionality, although a EL backlight would be a mjor upgrade - include a real lume and the watch would be much better.
    Other than that, i really like mine and tend to wear it not enough because i am afraid to scratch it - which is a bit paradox for a G.

Quick question: I have the GW2500 with a resin strap. Is the GW-2000BD Bracelet the only one that fits this watch? I was hoping there was a silver/stainless one.

The 3rd generation Citizen Skyhawk is better than the GW2500 or GW3500 and includes a three ring sliderule. This is just my opinion of watches in this price range.
    Nemo likes this.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information