Casio GWF1000 Frogman Caseback Tieypoew
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Casio GWF1000 Frogman Caseback Tieypoew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Casio GWF1000 Frogman Caseback Tieypoew

First, let me say three things:

1) I get that Casio is a Japanese company, and that English is not the first language of very many folks very high up in the business.

2) Apologies if this has already been widely discussed, I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.

3) I'm expecting lots of hate on this post (even more than the ones where I advocate Casio change the name of the GW9400 to "Rangegirl" because of the laughably weak lug design ).

That said, how did the egregious typographical error highlighted in the pics below make its laser-etched way onto the GWF1000 caseback!?! Yes, I recognize that the incorrect use of a possessive apostrophe in no way, shape or form compromises the function or utility of Casio's flagship G-Shock, but seriously WTF? If premium (dare I say *luxury* in regard to this $400+ digital watch?) products are all about the little details, how did this one slip by?

And before anyone tries to explain it as intentional (which really doesn't make any sense anyway), be advised that there are in fact numerous "Casio Authorized Service Centers" that deal with busted Frogs, so it should at least read "... Centers' Repair ..." if the superfluous possessive was meant to be.

Not hating on the *true* King of G-Shock (sorry GX/GXW56 owners ), just a slightly underwhelming observation regarding this generally stellar watch...

Name:  gwf1k_frog_caseback_01.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  185.0 KBName:  fufrigman.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  121.9 KB
    Last edited by nonconformulaic; February 1st, 2016 at 09:09.

Re: Casio GWF1000 Frogman Caseback Tieypoew

I hate to nit pick, but you didn't properly state the model number of the watch. I'm not quite sure which model you're taking about. It should be GWF-1000, not GWF1000.

Again, I hate to nit pick as you don't seem to be that type of person. Just helping a brutha out...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    I hate to nit pick, but you didn't properly state the model number of the watch. I'm not quite sure which model you're taking about. It should be GWF-1000, not GWF1000.

Again, I hate to nit pick as you don't seem to be that type of person. Just helping a brutha out...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Name:  Oops !.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  90.9 KB

The ignominy of it all !!! Fate is so very, very cruel !

Similar slandering of the GW-9400 & the GXW-56 model numbers as well !

And "Rangegirl" ... so very inappropriate & an obvious affront to the fight for the progress of women's rights everywhere !!!

I may have to reconsider my continuing membership in WUS !
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nonconformulaic View Post
    First, let me say three things:

1) I get that Casio is a Japanese company, and that English is not the first language of very many folks very high up in the business.

2) Apologies if this has already been widely discussed, I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.

3) I'm expecting lots of hate on this post (even more than the ones where I advocate Casio change the name of the GW9400 to "Rangegirl" because of the laughably weak lug design ).

That said, how did the egregious typographical error highlighted in the pics below make its laser-etched way onto the GWF1000 caseback!?! Yes, I recognize that the incorrect use of a possessive apostrophe in no way, shape or form compromises the function or utility of Casio's flagship G-Shock, but seriously WTF? If premium (dare I say *luxury* in regard to this $400+ digital watch?) products are all about the little details, how did this one slip by?

And before anyone tries to explain it as intentional (which really doesn't make any sense anyway), be advised that there are in fact numerous "Casio Authorized Service Centers" that deal with busted Frogs, so it should at least read "... Centers' Repair ..." if the superfluous possessive was meant to be.

Not hating on the *true* King of G-Shock (sorry GX/GXW56 owners ), just a slightly underwhelming observation regarding this generally stellar watch...

Name:  gwf1k_frog_caseback_01.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  185.0 KBName:  fufrigman.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  121.9 KB
    I'm so sorry to have to call you out on this but, you seem to have misspelled the word "typo". I understand this is truly out of character for yourself, I'm just glad I could help.

Time is an invention...
    JohnQFord and nonconformulaic like this.

Thanks WUS users for taking the time to comment on my observation and verify my three initial points, especially number 3!

Since I see you are all as detail oriented as me...

Odie: Actually you're incorrect. Take a look at these two pages for reference, but recognize that Casio *does not* use the punctuation you suggest when discussing different models in official materials.

GWF1000-1 - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

GX56-1A - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

While they do use something approaching what you suggest on the casebacks, the symbol employed is actually an em dash, not the crude hyphen you used.

JohnQFord: All world records of absolute physical human strength (the type of strength the Rangegirl lug design doesn't provide) are held by males. My proposed GW9400 renaming has nothing to do with gender equality or female empowerment, it's just a simple recognition of an objective truth: in absolute maximum terms men are physically stronger than women.

Weisoseis: That wooshing sound you probably heard when you read my post? That was the tonal implications of my intentional misspelling flying over your head. Most vistas contain both "forest" and "trees"; congratulations on missing both here!

All in good fun of course!

To every WUS user though, seriously, if you have an active account here and *don't* consider yourself a little nuts, you're only fooling one person. Wear your watches in good health and vigorously pick at whatever nits bug you personally!

Unrelated, but when is the internet ever going to decide on a "sarcasm font"? I suggest comic sans!

http://mashable.com/2012/10/03/comic.../#rNMANgwtjPqB

http://bancomicsans.com/main/
    Last edited by nonconformulaic; February 2nd, 2016 at 01:55.
    JohnQFord and koiom like this.

Sorry bud but if we're comparing apples to apples then you can't ignore what the model number says on the case... GWF-1000... but if I was going to play the ignore game, then I guess I should pay no attention to the "Center's" that umm is on the case as well. Hmm, then if that's the case then I guess this topic doesn't warrant another response... ;D
    nonconformulaic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    ... if we're comparing apples to apples then you can't ignore what the model number says on the case ...
    Sure I can Odie, since there are no rules in the English language that require an em dash between a capitalized "GWF" and the number "1000" (unlike the clearly defined rules on possessive apostrophes). And honestly, if Casio can't reconcile the way they identify watch models in all their official materials (without an em dash between letter and number designation) with what they're etching on the casebacks (with em dash between letter and number designation) that's just another strike against them!

In fact, they should hire me as a proof reader! I'll work for the low low price of only one Frogman per day... Life is in the details, right?

I'll agree with you on your last point though, this thread really doesn't warrant any additional responses. Like most threads here on WUS, it was just me being pedantic.

Quote Originally Posted by nonconformulaic View Post
    Thanks WUS users for taking the time to comment on my observation and verify my three initial points, especially number 3!

Since I see you are all as detail oriented as me...

Odie: Actually you're incorrect. Take a look at these two pages for reference, but recognize that Casio *does not* use the punctuation you suggest when discussing different models in official materials.

GWF1000-1 - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

GX56-1A - G-Shock - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

While they do use something approaching what you suggest on the casebacks, the symbol employed is actually an em dash, not the crude hyphen you used.

JohnQFord: All world records of absolute physical human strength (the type of strength the Rangegirl lug design doesn't provide) are held by males. My proposed GW9400 renaming has nothing to do with gender equality or female empowerment, it's just a simple recognition of an objective truth: in absolute maximum terms men are physically stronger than women.

Weisoseis: That wooshing sound you probably heard when you read my post? That was the tonal implications of my intentional misspelling flying over your head. Most vistas contain both "forest" and "trees"; congratulations on missing both here!

All in good fun of course!

To every WUS user though, seriously, if you have an active account here and *don't* consider yourself a little nuts, you're only fooling one person. Wear your watches in good health and vigorously pick at whatever nits bug you personally!

Unrelated, but when is the internet ever going to decide on a "sarcasm font"? I suggest comic sans!

http://mashable.com/2012/10/03/comic.../#rNMANgwtjPqB

http://bancomicsans.com/main/
    What if I told you that I knew you misspelled the word on purpose.

Time is an invention...
    nonconformulaic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weisoseis View Post
    What if I told you that I knew you misspelled the word on purpose.
    I'd refer you to what I said earlier, we need a sarcasm font ASAP! Comic sans would do nicely. Everyone (even the guy who created it) hates it, it's recognized by virtually all computer programs and it would really have helped clear up all the confusion this post has generated.

For now we have this.

Time is an invention...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information