The Casio I thought doesn't exist - WV-M400
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The Casio I thought doesn't exist - WV-M400

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi,
    for quite some time I've been looking to get a nice steel cased digital - preferrably with standard lugs to slap a Nato or Zulu on it in summer - Casio has not much to offer in that area except some vintage models - I thought the EFD-1000 was the closest I could find until I stumbled upon the i-range watches - not easy to get and the few remaining BNIB ones are expensive. But then I found something which I thought was an IRW-M200 on ebay - put a good bid on it - not too high but high enough so nobody would outbid me - when I looked closer it turned out it was no i-range but a WV-M400 - so here's some pics and a little review about the closest thing to a modern day digital MRG I could find so far.
    Let's start with a little unboxing (even though I already showed the watch in some WRUW-threads - but I like unboxing threads ):

When I took off the lid the display was blank which gave me little shock until I noticed that it was just sleeping. It woke up only a second later:

Some facts:
    - brushed steel case with 4-screw backplate and steel buttons
    - 31mm X 35mm - height: 8mm - really small and comfy on the wrist
    - standard lugs - but with 19mm lug-size
    - solid link bracelet - I think even with SEL (solid end links)
    - "water resistant" - so probably only 3 bar

- module 3039
    - Multiband 5
    - tough solar
    - 24 hr timer with auto-repeat (not really common on atomic/solar Casios)
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - worldtime
    - unfortunately only one alarm
    - BUT: current time in all modes (!)
    - nice and uncluttered display

This is pretty close to my "perfect Casio" - especially the nice display that shows all the info you need and current time is always displayed on the lower half. It also lacks a charge indicator which I think is a good thing - only the "CHG" will flash when it drops under a certain level - so no worrying about "did it get enough sun?", "should I leave it by the window?", etc. Solar and atomic is always nice-to-have if you don't have to sacrifice other features for it and the WV-M400 has a pretty complete feature set - 24 hr timer with repeat - I don't think I ever saw that on any other solar-atomic model. 24 hr stopwatch. The only downside - just one alarm and no snooze. And something else that unfortunately makes it miss the goal of being "perfect" - the lugs are drilled but the end links are not attached with springbars but with pins - just like the pins that keep the bracelet links together - so I think I have to get a proper tool in order to remove the bracelet.
    Some more pics:

Here's something odd - the menu button is on the right side which leaves only the adjust button on the left side - the adjust button is also recessed like on a DW-5600 - that's because it has no delay like most newer Casios - the digits start flashing right away. Too bad you also have to use the recessed button for resetting the timer and stopwatch.

One more thing you can see on the buttons - the little double-arrow on the start/stop button which indicates the time-swap feature - on the time-keeping screen you can (permanently) display a second timezone and also swap it with the hometime by keeping the start/stop-button pressed - similar to the G(W)-9200 Riseman. Useful when travelling. The mode button is in the middle. Slightly small but you get used to it.
    Some pics of the different modes:
    time-keeping display with second timezone:

worldtime:

timer which also displays 1/10 seconds - not necessary but I like it:

stopwatch:

alarm:

receiving mode:

One more to show how slim it is:

So let's brake it down to a little pro and con list:
    pros:
    - steel case
    - solar-atomic
    - 24 hr timer and stopwatch
    - current time in all modes
    - standard lugs
    - clean design
    - size is very "cuff-friendly" - perfect office watch

cons:
    - discontinued
    - odd button layout
    - recessed adjust button
    - pins instead of springbars for strap attachment

All in all I really like it - I'm lucky the bracelet was just the right size for my wrist but there are three extra links that came with it. I only need a proper bracelet tool now so I can install a leather or Nato strap. Maybe it's possible to simply replace the pins with springbars. Apart from that it's oh so close to perfection - but since Casio seems unwilling to make the perfect watch it misses the goal by just a few inches . I wish Casio would still make something like this but it looks like there is currently no digital steel cased solar-atomic model in production - apart from the resin-covered GW-5000 or GWF-1000. So these two (WV-M400 and EFD-1000) are closest to what I wanted (doesn't mean that I don't like my plastic-resin Gs of course the EFD-1000 only lost a half second since I got it in july btw):

cheers, Sedi
    Piowa, tss88, GregoryD and 30 others like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: The Casio I thought doesn't exist - WV-M400

This post & that Casio should have more than just a like. I like this watch may have to put it on a search list ... thanx Sedi

Very nice catch Sedi.
    Wear it in good health.

I too miss the old Casio digitals with metal case. I'm not a fan of the plastic case covered with chrome that are most of todays casio dress digital.

It would be nice if Casio would take the dw5600 and put it in a steel case with regular pins for the straps.
    Ghobbit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys! I agree with Ghobbit - I'd never even remotely consider buying a chrome plated resin cased model. If it's resin - IMO it should also be resin on the outside. But if something looks like steel I'd want it to really be steel or at least metal of some sort.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Where did you find this gem? That digital is great! Nice pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    Where did you find this gem? That digital is great! Nice pick up.
    It's used from ebay. I found an old Casio catalogue online - apparently they were released in 2006 in Germany but this is the 1st that I came across on ebay.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

thats a nice find Sedi,
    IMO its one of those things that catch your eye in that second glance, and then just leaves you wondering
    "where did he get that, I want one. ."haha

Cheers!! wear it in good health. .

Learning about new models all the time in this wonderful forum. Thanks for the nice article, Sedi!

----

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GS_Leng View Post
    Learning about new models all the time in this wonderful forum. Thanks for the nice article, Sedi!
    Yep, I only found out about it a few weeks back myself when "discovering" the I-Range models - I read about them before but never realized they were steel cased. Add 4 alarms and a snooze and a decent depth rating - like 10 bar - and it'd really be perfect. Maybe I'll have it pressure tested to see if it might actually be more pressure resistant than the Casio specs so I could at least wear it while swimming (don't plan on scuba diving in this lifetime).

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

very very cool, did they make these in positive display?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information